U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM

96 posts, read 145,822 times

Advertisements

I have had CRVs both ways and chose the 2WD this time and it does get slightly better gas mileage no matter what the EPA says. I live in OK and we get mostly hot summers, ice storms, some snow but not much. The CRV 2WD with Michelin tires does better on the ice than the 4WD did with the same tires. Not sure about snow. I live rural, so no roads are plowed. If there is too much snow, I stay home! I save quite a bit on gas, so I don't miss the 4WD at all and probably won't buy another one. In a couple of inches of snow, my CRV does just fine. Good luck on your decision, but I think in SD for sure, no need for the 4WD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Neither. The 2012 Honda CR-V is the ugliest CUV on the road today.
I beg to differ

Last edited by max.b; 09-27-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 PM

5,012 posts, read 5,901,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
I beg to differ
The aztek sure is ugly but the 2012 CR-V isnt too far behind. It literally looks like a dog taking a dump and its a shame because the previous model was actually nice despite the rear tail lights.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,450,376 times
I drove a rear wheel drive Volvo in the U.P. of Michigan in the winter. You don't need 4WD for on-road vehicles in most areas, although it does--or can--help. Where 4WD is truly "essential", a CRV or other all weather on-road SUV is probably not going to be up to the challenge, at least not without modifications.

Even so, if I were buying a vehicle with available 4WD/AWD, and I had a good chance of living in an area where a 4WD is very popular, I would definitely buy the optional 4WD. In an area of inclement weather, you will recover a big chunk of the purchase price of the 4WD option when you sell the car. In addition, your car will sell faster than 2WD models of the same car, especially when winter is approaching.

If you end up in the sunbelt, different story.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 AM

774 posts, read 1,262,993 times
To me, this photo of 2012 CR-V actually looks awesome. It looks a little weird from the back though.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
To me, this photo of 2012 CR-V actually looks awesome. It looks a little weird from the back though.
It's the protruding hump back that kills the entire look. Rest of the crv looks fine.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,409,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
It's the protruding hump back that kills the entire look. Rest of the crv looks fine.
Agreed, I like the front too. I would like to see a more powerful engine (as an option) on the CRV, but Honda will never do it.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Agreed, I like the front too. I would like to see a more powerful engine (as an option) on the CRV, but Honda will never do it.
I dont think 185hp is too shabby compared to its competitors. I must say though that I've driven a v6 Rav 4 and I was VERY suprised! That thing had ballzzzz... !!! 269hp.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM

1,204 posts, read 3,085,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
b. Road traction depends on the tires. A FWD or RWD vehicle with the right tires can do a lot better on a slippery road than any "true AWD" vehicle that has the wrong tires for road conditions.
This is key and should be repeated.

The only thing AWD will truly help with in slippery conditions is moving forward. It will NOThelp you turn or brake.

I've owned FWD, AWD, RWD vehicles with and without snow tires. My preference? RWD with snow tires. It's better than AWD on all-seasons, and gives you a little more control (sometimes is it useful to be able to spin the rear tires to help rotate the car).

Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM

4,239 posts, read 6,015,805 times
I think if you are buying the base model than it is okay to go with FWD. My father just bought a Lexus SUV that is FWD. In the burgh, there is only a week or so where it makes a difference and then it is only when the snow is falling since the roads eventually get plowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura