U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM

14,780 posts, read 35,883,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
^This. And it's so predictable that any time a Japanese recall gets posted, the first (and most) posts will be about how all manufacturers have recalls so it's not a big deal. So why is it a big deal if a domestic manufacturer has a recall and not a big deal if an import manufacturer has a recall? It's a double standard here and on most automotive forums.
I think it's mainly because a lot of people have developed the perception that...

Japanese = reliable

American = unreliable

When they hear about a Japanese recall it runs against their perception and they look for the excuse as to why it happened. When they hear about an American recall it reinforces their perception and justifies why they think the way they do. Even though their perception often has little grounding in reality. Hence, why most of them reference the American car they bought used in 1985 and developed a bad starter at 89k miles as their justification for American cars being "unreliable".

To an extent it's not even really about 'reliability', it's more like this...

Smart people buy Japanese cars.

Dumb people buy American cars.

Ergo, someone who buys a Japanese car looks to justify that purchase and their own inflated ego of it being the "best" choice by pointing out anytime American cars have issues. Conversely whenever a Japanese car has an issue they deflect and explain because it questions their belief that they made the "best" choice superior to others. Basically, I'm smarter then you and my choice of automobile is reflective of that.

What I just typed above is not a universal statement and doesn't apply to everyone, just the type of people that run through automotive forums screaming...American cars are crap, buy Japanese because it's the "smart" choice. It's no different from most other automotive topics where everyone is arguing about which performance car is faster or better...it's just that this particular argument tends to be limited to the "Consumer Reports" crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM

14,780 posts, read 35,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't know about other members but I don't care if the recall is for domestics or not. Unless the cars are exploding at random and severing the heads off babies then I chalk it up to part of owning a complicated machine. I don't mind dropping the car off at the dealer for infrequent recall service.
That's because your normal, sensible, logical and actually know about cars. You know the kind of people that Merc and I are referencing; I doubt any of them will even post in this thread, unless it's to say "GM/Ford/Chrysler sucks...I'll take a flaming Honda anyday over the garbage Detroit builds."

Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 PM

23,997 posts, read 30,112,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Since we all love to post about any time a domestic brand issues a recall...

With Addition of 573,000 Accords, Total Number of Hondas Recalled for Fire Hazard Reaches 1.1 Million - NYTimes.com

It can catch on fire....

This just isn't possible...it's Honda...they are the best...this must be a government conspiracy to discredit Japanese car makers and prop up Government Motors...
you must have found that article on the onion!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,051,199 times
The funny thing is the japenise vehicles are no better and no worse.
80, toyota pick up's 4x4, 22R. output bearing on transfer case to small the next year it had a bigger one.
Head gasket, you had to let them idel after getting them hot from running down the highway. Aluminum head cooled off to quickly.

Then the Toyota frame recall and buy back of how many trucks?

then the Toyota 3.0 you can't keep a head gaskets on one, recalled.
fixed, blew yet again. It leaks oil like the exon Valdez.
It was to the dealer 2 times for a fix

I can list domestic vehicles Ive owned too.
Pontiac, engine recall, I got a free one.
dodge, 08 cummins, engine bay fire. sound deadening materiel coming in contact with exhaust manifold.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,106,707 times
I agree completely with you NJGoat...

It is funny to see how the thread goes, when it can be identicle. I alost want to post a japanese car in 100% the exact wording and format as American thread and see how it goes.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:41 PM

24,764 posts, read 23,720,795 times
Power steering fluid? It'll usually just burns off but it can ignite in certain circumstances. Kudos, I guess, to Honda for the recall. They're trying to save their reputation.

I do remember when the engine of my brother's Ford Taurus burst into flames.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,700,460 times
Quote:
Since we all love to post about any time a domestic brand issues a recall...

With Addition of 573,000 Accords, Total Number of Hondas Recalled for Fire Hazard Reaches 1.1 Million - NYTimes.com

It can catch on fire....

This just isn't possible...it's Honda...they are the best...this must be a government conspiracy to discredit Japanese car makers and prop up Government Motors...
GM just recalled about the same number because of possible engine fires after already havig recalled severqal thousand before. Alot of recalls it seems nw days as they are being cautious now.It took two years in the 90's for Frod to recall the car fires because of cruise control switches and never did o rearend collison fires except police cars.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM

906 posts, read 2,080,589 times
Thumbs up Yes

Quote:
I think it's mainly because a lot of people have developed the perception that...

Japanese = reliable

American = unreliable

When they hear about a Japanese recall it runs against their perception and they look for the excuse as to why it happened. When they hear about an American recall it reinforces their perception and justifies why they think the way they do. Even though their perception often has little grounding in reality. Hence, why most of them reference the American car they bought used in 1985 and developed a bad starter at 89k miles as their justification for American cars being "unreliable".

To an extent it's not even really about 'reliability', it's more like this...

Smart people buy Japanese cars.

Dumb people buy American cars.

Ergo, someone who buys a Japanese car looks to justify that purchase and their own inflated ego of it being the "best" choice by pointing out anytime American cars have issues. Conversely whenever a Japanese car has an issue they deflect and explain because it questions their belief that they made the "best" choice superior to others. Basically, I'm smarter then you and my choice of automobile is reflective of that.

What I just typed above is not a universal statement and doesn't apply to everyone, just the type of people that run through automotive forums screaming...American cars are crap, buy Japanese because it's the "smart" choice. It's no different from most other automotive topics where everyone is arguing about which performance car is faster or better...it's just that this particular argument tends to be limited to the "Consumer Reports" crowd.
WOW, you said it! I agree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura