Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM

42 posts, read 185,275 times

Advertisements

We take several road trips each year and are considering a new (or possibly very low mileage used) Civic. The reliability, economy, resale value, etc. seem to be excellent. Our one concern is the level of comfort on 1000+ mile journeys. Does anyone have any feedback? Our Maxima proved to be an outstanding highway vehicle but does the Civic, being much smaller, "beat you up" on long trips? Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,351,436 times
It's a very comfortable car.

It's not like a Lexus or anything, but it's very comfortable and you should have no problems at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 AM

10,164 posts, read 20,699,676 times
All depends on you. I had a Civic which was very uncomfortable for long trips that were more than just a couple of hours. For long road trips you probably want something comfortable and quiet. With my Civic I had to turn up the radio louder than normal in order to wash out the wind, engine, and road noise. Perhaps the newer Civics have better seat ergonomics than they did ten years ago, but Honda's are typically not known for comfort. I have an Accord and it has a rather stiff suspension when compared to other cars in the same class like Altima, Malibu/Impala, and Camry. I had a VW Passat that was very pleasant to drive, the best car I ever had for long road trips. Not a great car for long term dependability, but if you trade in cars every few years, it's a comfortable yet solid vehicle. It's being discontinued, but whatever replaces it may serve you well. Either that or a Jetta, test drive one and see for yourself.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,008,193 times
I've put in 100's of thousands of miles on my Civics driving around the country. I find them very comfortable cars, but it depends on your body proportions. When my boyfriend is driving a Civic for long periods of time, he swaps in a Del Sol bucket seat. I'm 5'-6" and he's 6'-5" in height.

And don't worry about buying a higher mileage car. Personally, I would much rather buy a high mileage car that has highway commuter miles on it than a low mileage city driven car. A low mileage car that is due to short trips around town are harder on the brake and exhaust systems. Pot holes are more wear on the suspension.

And if treated well, Hondas tend to last forever.

Honda Beat: Honda and Acura News, Information, Racing and Vintage Cars

Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,442,882 times
Great on the road!
I drove my 2008 Civic Sedan from Northern Indiana down to Texas and all over in between. Was on the road for about a week and basically lived in the thing. Never once cramped. I weigh 230 and am 6' tall. The older Civic's are a bit smaller, but I would still take one on the road.
On my 2008 I have learned to absolutely LOVE the 2 tier dash layout that many complain about. At first I was really unsure, but once I was on the highway I found it very nice.
The newer Civics have really good visibilty as well with a bigger windshield. I have owned many cars in the last 15 years and this is hands down my favorite, most fun and economical car to date.
Sure a lincoln or a caddy would float on down the road and be more comfortable, but I prefer my Civic. That's just me.
2006 is when they started the new design and you can pick one up for a decent price if you look around.
In March my bro and I are driving out to So Cal and you can bet my Honda will get us there safe and sound. 5 stars all the way around.
Good luck and I hope you pick a Civic!
Check out "I Love My Honda" on Facebook and you will see how loyal our Honda cult is;-) lol

Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 AM

415 posts, read 1,772,250 times
Do you prefer "sport" or "float?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranrich View Post
We take several road trips each year and are considering a new (or possibly very low mileage used) Civic. The reliability, economy, resale value, etc. seem to be excellent. Our one concern is the level of comfort on 1000+ mile journeys. Does anyone have any feedback? Our Maxima proved to be an outstanding highway vehicle but does the Civic, being much smaller, "beat you up" on long trips? Thanks in advance....

Old 02-09-2010, 05:05 PM

42 posts, read 185,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Do you prefer "sport" or "float?"
Maybe "spoat" or "flort" ? I'm not looking for a cushy Buick Roadmaster type ride and don't expect one in a smaller car but I don't want to feel every bump in the road, either. The Civic seems to have everything we need and 36mpg to boot! Almost everyone seems satisfied with theirs and I've heard very few complaints. Thanks to all of you!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,600,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranrich View Post
Maybe "spoat" or "flort" ? I'm not looking for a cushy Buick Roadmaster type ride and don't expect one in a smaller car but I don't want to feel every bump in the road, either. The Civic seems to have everything we need and 36mpg to boot! Almost everyone seems satisfied with theirs and I've heard very few complaints. Thanks to all of you!
One thing to consider is that the Civic was never intended , nor designed for, long road trips. The Civic is a first class utility car and as such is designed for everyday trips locally with short trips at best.

If it's any sort of comfort you want , or expect, then you're going to have to look upscale at heavier vehicles that take long trips in stride since they were designed for that usage.

If you buy a Civic anyway and arrive all stiff and sore don't say you weren't warned.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
I've drove my inlaws on road trips and for a small car is very confortable.Also drove a freinds Carolla which was about the same.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:35 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,720,019 times
Maybe you should rent one, if possible, some weekend and take a long trip - get an unlimited mileage rental.

Something you didn't mention is how many people/how much stuff you typically take with you on your road trips.

I think you will find the car's up to the trip no problem, I personally am OK with the fairly firm ride this type of car gives, but I can't say if it will work for you or not. If you were a hardcore sports car guy, I'd recommend the Honda without hesitation.

The only thing I don't like about Honda cars is the steering seems to have little or no "feel" - it's like a video game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura