Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 77,834 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Wanted suggestions/advice regarding which of the following two would be a better car to buy.
Nissan Altima 2.5SV
(OR)
Honda Accord Sport, CVT

The Accord Sport is around $1000 more than the 2.5SV, but I really like the paddle shifters and Honda's reliability is unmatched. (but cant say, since its their first year with a CVT)
The Altima has higher EPA estimates going for it. Both the cars look really good.
Which one would be a good choice? If anyone owns any of the above two make, and has good reviews or faced issues, please do suggest and help me out.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 PM

15 posts, read 52,359 times
I like the Altima and it looks 10 times better than the Accord and it has push to start. Does Honda have that?

Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Stay I away from the CVT, but the Honda V-6 has a conventional trans.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.
The Accord sport does NOT have a push start. Im OK with that. I wanted to know which of the two will hold its resale value better, over 4-5 years?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Stay I away from the CVT, but the Honda V-6 has a conventional trans.
Whats wrong with CVT? Neither of the two automakers are offering a Automatic trans.I dont have a choice. Why do u not recommend the CVT? Have u heard/seen any major issues with this particular type of tranny?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Both are so new (new car as well as new design) there is no real track record to truly guage them on. Both should be trouble free, and have long warranties from the factory. I would buy them based on which one you love, not which one makes more "sense" based on other's anecdotal evidence, or myth's built up about reliability (positive or negative) due to past performance.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audax88 View Post
Whats wrong with CVT? Neither of the two automakers are offering a Automatic trans.I dont have a choice. Why do u not recommend the CVT? Have u heard/seen any major issues with this particular type of tranny?
CVT looks great on paper but one has to question its reliability.
There were some horror stories with earlier CVT Nissans where someone had to replace the tranny twice. Of course, they were covered under warranty... but still...

Considering the 2013 Honda Accord is the first non-hybrid Honda model (that I know of) that is fitted with the CVT... I am not sure if I would want to gamble with that. If anything, I would want to wait for the next model year.

A friend leased a 2013 Altima and it drove nice but I much prefer the interior of the Accord. I have not driven a 2013 Accord but traditionally, Honda does have a firm ride and I found the Altima to be softer compared to the older Accords.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
The Accord is the better car by far, and it will have better resale value thanks to very low fleet sales (something like less than 5%)

Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the inputs guys.

I test drove the Altima 2.5SV over the weekend. Nice car, but 2 major issues: I found the CVT a bit "rubber-bandy" and
the car doesnt hide any bumps, it reverberates through the entire structure. Apart from that the car handles pretty well. It does have a bit of a wider turn radius, but i guess the accord will as well, since they are sized around the same.
I was offered a 23k OTD for a 2.5SV.

The accord sport might come out for 24k OTD. And like AmericanLuxury said, Honda cars will hold their value.
Will have to test drive it definitely though.

Another question, if you guys could help me out with, will the EPA mpg drop, say after 30-40k miles on the cars with CVT?
Im planning on using the car for 5-6 years, probably stretching to 100,000 miles atleast.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,708 times
My wife and I both have Nissan's with CVT's and I'm and active forum member on a couple Nissan sites. From what I have seen other than early to mid 2000's CVT failures are rare and always covered under warranty. Many times they will work with you if you are just over the warranty. Nissan's with CVT issues got extended warranties (120k miles). As far as MPG drop I have never heard of such a thing. CVT's do take a little getting used to and they do have some cons, but for me they are outweighed by the pros for street use anyway. A lot of people are unsure of the CVT since it’s somewhat new with mainstream passenger cars, but the CVT has been around a long time and is very reliable. From what I heard the issue with the Nissan CVT isn’t with any of the mechanical components. It is an issue with an internal electrical component. Nissan does not consider the CVT serviceable so if anything fails internally your only option is to replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura