Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,759 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Recently I bought a used 03 Acura TL-s with 70k miles, which does not covered by Acura extended transmission warranty. Can anyone recommend a power train warranty? Suggestions would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,863,771 times
first question is: do you really think you need one? i used to be a finance manager at a dealership actually, and to be honest the aftermarket extended warranties (or really are called extended service contracts) often cost what you might have spent on repairs anyway (they don't make money by paying more for repairs than they sell contracts for ).

also those aftermarket jobbies are usually tricky in their coverage, and there's always some kind of miscommunication between them and the customer, or the shop and the customer, etc. like only certain jobs are covered, or coverage is only a certain % of the cost, or "diagnostic fees" are not covered, etc.

thats my devils advocate spiel. do you have a concern that your car is going to need warranty coverage? i can tell you that TL's have had common transmission problems; could you call a dealer and find out if yours has been replaced once upon a time?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,149,375 times
I'm with yo vanilla ... you've purchased a car with a very fine long term performance record. Part of the the purchase price you paid reflects the durability of these cars.

You'd be much further ahead by self-insuring compared to the aftermarket warranties.

From what I saw as a shop owner repairing cars for numerous customers, the aftermarket warranties were rarely worth the cost. Many claims were denied for minor technicalities on the part of the car owner, who bought the policy in good faith that they'd have broad coverage of the listed items. In practice, it rarely worked out that way.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
I really don't think that you need to worry about your car. It's a Honda product. Just drive and enjoy it. Having owned many high mileage Hondas and one Acura, whatwever non-Acura powertrain warranty you buy to cover your car until 100K miles, will be money thrown out the window. If your mechanic is happy with the car, don't worry. My Integra has almost 240K miles on the odometer and the engine is just starting to get tired.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,863,771 times
well i do know a few people who have had problems with their TL's - it is not, just like any other car, infallable. i'm just saying that you have to pay money for those warranties and the people in the business of selling them aren't doing it for charity.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,365 times
Actually, Honda/Acura has had problems with the transmissions in their V6 equiped vehicles, it is wide spread and especially problematic in the previous generation TL's and V6 Honda Accords/Oddesy, I would be warry

Old 10-30-2007, 03:50 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Well then compare the price of an extended warranty with the cost of replacing the tranny. Then decide what's best numbers wise.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,318 times
Sorry! I’m little bit confuse with your question that what are you exactly looking for? However, as far as I think this site may help you. Check it out wwwDOTextendedwarrantyshopper.com Extended Warranty Shopper: Car, Truck & Auto Warranties Extended Warranty Shopper: Car, Truck & Auto Warranties. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura