Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the new NSX will help Acura regain any of the prestige they've squandered over the past decade+ of building boring cars.
I don't thins this is the case at all, as the quote below said, they are doing pretty good ahead of Audi & Infinity, etc.

Quote:
U.S. Acura sales rose 14 percent this year through April to 48,852 cars and light trucks, ranking it fifth in luxury volume behind Daimler AG (DAI)’s Mercedes-Benz, Bayerische Motoren Werke AG’s BMW, Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus and General Motors Co. (GM)’s Cadillac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:46 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
My sister is currently working on the NSX program in OH and wants to know what color I want lol.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I don't thins this is the case at all, as the quote below said, they are doing pretty good ahead of Audi & Infinity, etc.
Prestige and sales #'s aren't necessarily correlated. If that was the case, the F150 would be the most prestigious vehicle you could own. It's not that Acuras aren't good cars, they just lack a brand identity separate from being a nicer Honda. Honda/Acura has a totally different pricing model with the lack of options available. They're more "one size fits all" cars rather than a car specifically tailored to the individual owner. It has it's advantage, especially on price, but it makes the line seem very narrow and utilitarian. You want an AWD coupe? You're not going to Acura. A convertible? Nope. A sports car? LOL, NO! Leather that isn't black or tan? Nope. Sport sedan? Nope.

I've owned and driven several and they're nice... Hondas.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't know, it wasn't like the original NSX built them all that much "cred". The Integra and then the second and third gen TL and the MDX are what built Acura's status/reputation. Of those, only the MDX is still considered relevant.

I really liked the original NSX and a buddy of mine has two of them. They are a nightmare to work on, but a blast to drive. I'm not a big fan of the direction they are going with all the electric motor hybrid stuff. They should have just built a modern lightweight frame and slapped their highest tech V6 in there and mated it to a 6-speed manual.
Why do you say they are a nightmare to work on? I think they are easier than any Ford modular V8.

Some things, like the clutch, are a bear. But most engine work is very straightforward and far easier than some cars like a Boxter. The engine is highly reliable and doesn't need much attention.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Acura doesn't seem to always project a clear language to what they are trying to be. Back in the day they had a definate performance angle to their lineup with the NSX, performance Integras, etc. The TSX and RSX were always marketed as more of a performance/drivers car, as I kind of see the ILX too (with the Civic Si 200 HP 4 and stick only drivetrain).

Yet, the rest of the lineup seems to have stagnated into Buick obscurity. To some degree, their larger sedans (regardless of name) have seemed a little more Buick than BMW to me in design language and execution, and have been in contrast to their obvious drivers car intentions elsewhere in the lineup.

Acura could really use a clear and cosnsistent message. Maybe they NSX can help build that, but they will need revisions elsewhere in the lineup for it to work. Actual RWD would help if that is the case too, since all the FWD chassis engineering in the world is not going to get their cars to drive like a G37 or 3 series.
I agree with much of this. Honda has struggled to keep Acura interesting. Go Buick like Lexus, or more sporty like BMW? Or neither? The styling misfires like the TL and the ZDX didn't help anything.

But the NSX is intended to be a showcase car. An advanced supercar using AWD and a mid-engine gasoline engine with electric motors powering the front wheels. Looks like a supercar, not a tuner car (GTR).

The original NSX outperformed its primary target (Ferrari 348) rather easily. And it didn't worry you that it would start or not when you go in it. Hopefully the new NSX is in the Audi R8 class.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
I don't think Acura is making any mistakes pursuing an AWD hybrid drivetrain. This is the direction all high end cars are heading and it's no secret that the new car will run circles around the old one.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:22 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
The new NSX looks UGLY! I sure wouldn't buy it!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
The new NSX looks UGLY! I sure wouldn't buy it!
I happen to think it looks great if not a bit sci-fi generic although its out of my price range anyway.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:57 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times
Acura are doing alright, they mainly sell grocery getters SUVs though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura