U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 AM

1,204 posts, read 3,088,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
Very clean interior. Only blemish is on back bumper. New timing chain, New oil change, New tags. Only selling because we are moving back east. PRIVATE PARTY! NO NONSENSE!

I wonder why it has had the timing chain changed- i thought toyotas went for ever- that seems early for that to go on it??What are new tags??

Just for fun folks if you had to choose between the corolla(2007) 67K 10K ish( not sure if one driver but possibly)
and the VW Golf (2004) 66K 6500K ( one driver)

If the Corolla has a timing chain, it shouldn't need to be replaced. If it's a timing belt, those usually need replacement around 80-120k miles and/or 10 years.

I would go with a Corolla over the VW, given the two choices. The VW may be nicer, but they have much worse reliability. Parts will also be pricier.

Since it sounds like a commuter that won't see a ton of miles, I wouldn't spend $10k on it. The civic sounds like it'd be great. Aim for something around $3k or less, that has a good reputation for reliability, and have a mechanic go over it for any major issues. Keeping that extra $7k in your pocket would be more than enough to maintain the car for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM

916 posts, read 2,279,037 times
I daily my 99 civic with 155k on it. These cars run for a long time.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,857,783 times
Not sure what the differences between the 2001 and 2000 civics are but...

My 2001 civic began having problems at 78K miles. At 50K it started running hot. Between 78K and 85K I dropped 6 grand in it trying to keep it running and to fix the running hot issue. Timing belt, power steering, heads, clutch, transmission, and several other items. When I had it towed to the dealership and traded in, it was still running hot.

My oldest sister had a 99. She got about 90K out of hers before having to get rid of it due to constant issues. I know Honda has a reputation as reliable, but it seems every Civic owner I've met has had similar problems yet considers this "normal" and "reliable". It's not normal as I've had several other cars with more miles that had no problems. I can't go so far as to say all Civics are crap but it seems people over look the problems due to Honda's reputation that their cars run forever. I've gotten much better and reliable service out of my Nissans and Fords.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 AM

916 posts, read 2,279,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Not sure what the differences between the 2001 and 2000 civics are but...

My 2001 civic began having problems at 78K miles. At 50K it started running hot. Between 78K and 85K I dropped 6 grand in it trying to keep it running and to fix the running hot issue. Timing belt, power steering, heads, clutch, transmission, and several other items. When I had it towed to the dealership and traded in, it was still running hot.

My oldest sister had a 99. She got about 90K out of hers before having to get rid of it due to constant issues. I know Honda has a reputation as reliable, but it seems every Civic owner I've met has had similar problems yet considers this "normal" and "reliable". It's not normal as I've had several other cars with more miles that had no problems. I can't go so far as to say all Civics are crap but it seems people over look the problems due to Honda's reputation that their cars run forever. I've gotten much better and reliable service out of my Nissans and Fords.
Sorry to hear you had so many issues with your civic. Sounds like you had a **** poor mechanic that couldn't pin point the issue and just threw parts at it. A couple fairly inexpensive fixes come to mind when dealing with an overheating issue. Whoever you paid to fix you car was ripping you off. The older Honda auto transmissions have been known to be problematic. Also I hate automatic transmissions in any car, I don't understand why anyone would get an auto in such a small car. Manuals have way fewer parts to fail and are much cheaper to repair.

The 96-00 civics are completely different cosmetically and mechanically from the 01-05 civics. Obviously there will be outliers but statistically speaking these cars are very reliable

All cars require the proper maintenance and I would like to know what the "constant issues" with your sisters civic were. This is my 3rd old Honda, I have had a 99 Si, a 99 Integra LS and now my current civic. Most of the issues I have had were with wear items and in my opinion "normal" issues. The only issues that I wouldn't consider normal were replacing rear brake calipers, input shaft bearing, window regulator, clutch slave, clutch master and a new steering rack @ 140k.

I know these cars inside and out and I could point out all of the common problems with these cars. I check all my fluids once a week and I am under the car at least once a month. There is still a huge following of these cars with young people due to how easy they are to work on and their reliability.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM

865 posts, read 1,556,293 times
Honda (and Toyota)'s quality has dropped in the last few years. They were the standard for so long, and they set the bar so high, that they can back off a LOT on quality and still sell well.

Late 90s 4 speed Auto transmissions and the early 5 speed autos were very problematic. Around 04/05, however, they were able to work out the issues.

I really was never a fan of Honda out of ignorance on my part. Until I spent some time driving an 05 Accord. The engine was so smooth, the interior was very nice and the suspension design is superb. I gained an appreciation of how much better (at the time) the Japanese cars were. With that said, the domestic mfgrs have caught up (or surpassed) Honda and Toyota.

There's NO reason that any modern car made within the last 15 years can't easily run to 150K (unless it rusts out or dies of neglect)

Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,586,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Honda (and Toyota)'s quality has dropped in the last few years. They were the standard for so long, and they set the bar so high, that they can back off a LOT on quality and still sell well.

You are referring to the motor manufacturers' practice of "de-contenting". Due to rising material costs they will use cheaper materials in the interior. That's why the interiors in recent years from both Honda and Toyota look kind of cheapo compared with earlier models. We've noticed the difference between our 2000 Civic and our 2012 Civic.

However, this should not affect overall reliability of the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura