Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonteacher View Post
Thanks Timing and Don

My husband is now saying he does not like the look of a honda civic but likes the honda element- but they seem to cost more.
veering towards the 6500 golf - only one owner and 66K on the clock....or we find an element.
Good tip on the timing belt- I will ask but husband is not keen at the moment!
It's not uncommon for a Civic (and few other cars, Camry, Accord, and Corolla) to last beyond 200,000 miles. If you're looking for an older relable economy car, you should stick to Honda/Toyota.

Last edited by Timing2012; 06-20-2013 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 PM

274 posts, read 1,218,552 times
Thanks very much Timing- that is my gut feeling as everyone is just raving online and it scores higher than the golf in rating averages.Also thinking the golf may be expensive to service with the foreign parts being harder to source maybe??
- i will show this to my husband. Would the honda element not have a similar good reliability score since it is the same make?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,209 times
Quote:
Thanks very much Timing- that is my gut feeling as everyone is just raving online and it scores higher than the golf in rating averages.Also thinking the golf may be expensive to service with the foreign parts being harder to source maybe??
- i will show this to my husband. Would the honda element not have a similar good reliability score since it is the same make?
All Hondas and Toyotas are good choices for transportation, but it's just that their "bread and butter" (Camry, Accord, Corolla, and Civic) that are KNOWN as great cars in general. Just stay away from few bad apples (2001-2002 Civic Automatic Transmission).

Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
While the Element is considered to be fairly reliable, do note that it was produced in far fewer quantities than the Civic, which means that the cost of parts and servicing will likely be higher than that of the mass-market Civic.

And I can vouch for the 2000MY Civic - we had one for 13 years and 130K miles. Was planning to keep it longer but the incentives and specials from the local Honda dealer for new Civics prompted my wife to trade it in for a 2012 model.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
What year did your 96 Accord's belt blew up?
About 2 1/2 years ago.

Don

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
The 2001 Civic Is The Worst Civic Ever Made
Google It!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 AM

Thanks Hitman. That is very useful to know- this is a 2000 civic being offered- i wonder if they were just as bad or if it is just the 2001- will google it!MY husband would rather spend a bit more for a newer used vehicle so looks like it is out anyway.But silverkris that is good to know if he changes his mind.

Timing I have just been offered (via the mum forum I am on so a little more trustworty you would hope than totally unknown sources where you do not know the real reason a seller is parting with a vehicle so much)a corolla( details below) but it is closer to 11Kasking(obo). That is probably a fair price for a 5 year corolla with that mileage but it will really eat into the house deposit we are trying to save.

Price
$10,750
Mileage 66,941
Body Style Sedan
Exterior Color Red
Interior Color Gray
Engine 4 Cylinder
Transmission Automatic
Drive Type 2 wheel drive - front
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Four Door
Very clean interior. Only blemish is on back bumper. New timing chain, New oil change, New tags. Only selling because we are moving back east. PRIVATE PARTY! NO NONSENSE!

I wonder why it has had the timing chain changed- i thought toyotas went for ever- that seems early for that to go on it??What are new tags??

Just for fun folks if you had to choose between the corolla(2007) 67K 10K ish( not sure if one driver but possibly)
and the VW Golf (2004) 66K 6500K ( one driver)
and you want economical fuel use and reliable/safe as top priorities....which would you go with?Let's assume the engines look equally solid when the mechanic takes a look.
It seems like the vw is better value at 3.5K less for very similar mileage but i know the corollas are very liked in reviews.
It will just be a commuter car on freeway- maybe 450 miles a month.No long trips unless our family car- a jeep compass- breaks down.

Thank you all for being so informative on here!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM

So Don got 14 and a half years out of his timing belt on his 96 accord I think- mmmm I imagine that is expensive to replace right....?
Ohh I love knowing this kind of information about timing belts and the like- my carsavvy dad would not let me drive a car till i had learnt how everything works in the engine ( it took 6 months of him drilling me and lying under the car to see how all the bits go together) and how to brush carbon off and change my spark plugs.It came in handy in the Australian outback twenty years ago, when I got caught in a flash flood and nearly lost a camper van and all our belongings as I was able to remember to dry something( spark plugs probably) off with a lighter so that the ignition would work- we would have had to abandon the vehicle otherwise.It started as soon as the two bits had the water dried off them.
Yet somehow all that knowledge seems to have evaporated from my brain over the years now.
But now i see why he thought it so important for me to have some basic mechanical knowledge as much as I resented the three hour session under that greasy bonnet as a 17 year old!Because you pay a small fortune every time something goes on your car-our parents so often just try to help us in spite of our teenage lack of appreciation right!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 AM

That was a 3 hour session every saturday and sunday morning (early) for what felt like many months at the time!!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
So Don got 14 and a half years out of his timing belt on his 96 accord I think- mmmm I imagine that is expensive to replace right....?
Ohh I love knowing this kind of information about timing belts and the like- my carsavvy dad would not let me drive a car till i had learnt how everything works in the engine ( it took 6 months of him drilling me and lying under the car to see how all the bits go together) and how to brush carbon off and change my spark plugs.It came in handy in the Australian outback twenty years ago, when I got caught in a flash flood and nearly lost a camper van and all our belongings as I was able to remember to dry something( spark plugs probably) off with a lighter so that the ignition would work- we would have had to abandon the vehicle otherwise.It started as soon as the two bits had the water dried off them.
Yet somehow all that knowledge seems to have evaporated from my brain over the years now.
But now i see why he thought it so important for me to have some basic mechanical knowledge as much as I resented the three hour session under that greasy bonnet as a 17 year old!Because you pay a small fortune every time something goes on your car-our parents so often just try to help us in spite of our teenage lack of appreciation right!

The funny part is, my Sons and I have a shop where we build hot rods from the ground up, but I HATE to work on my daily drivers and am horrible about maintaining them. I take my daily driver to a shop near me when it needs something . On the Honda I just kept putting off the timing belt and it finally bit me in the butt.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura