U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 PM

220 posts, read 272,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
In what way does it not work? Is the fan non-functional? Is the heater core bypassed because of a leak? If the HVAC control pannel ripped out of the dashboard?

"not working" describes nothing.

"Not working" might not contain the level of detail that you require, but it doesn't describe "nothing". If you read my first post you would have noticed that I said I have not seen the car yet. I am going to see it tonight. At that point I will inquire as to how or why the ac and heater are not working.

I posted it here to get general feedback on whether this looks like a potential of a good deal or not.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 9,272,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandAmused View Post
1998 honda civic dx 5 speed

Thinking about picking this up since I need a cheap commuter. I havent seen it yet in person, but am going to do that later.

he says theres nothing mechanically wrong with it, save the a/c and heater do not work.

144k miles
5 spd
and its a Honda

Is this a no brainer?
If you need a cheap commuter, buy it. Buy it now.

The one main weak spot for later-model Hondas is the automatic transmission. Obviously, that's not an issue here.

The non-working AC/Heater are connected issues - very likely a vacuum line. Cheap fix.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 PM

10,897 posts, read 23,133,274 times
How much DIY mechanic and trouble shooting experience do you have Op?

Also do you have a place and tools to work on it yourself or do you have to take it in to get simpler things fixed?

How much $$$ do you have extra to spend on Used, Refurbished or Replacement parts that might let go or need replacing sooner rather then later but are Relatively cheap and easy to fix if you can DIY?

I would still get a independent mechanic to inspect it and get it up on lift and go over it with you as well as get the maintenance records and really take a good look and see what it needs and if it is worth it.

Also might be better to try and save another $1500-$2000 and have a budget of $3500-$3800 and start looking at better models of the same car in just in better condition and have some wiggle room

Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 PM

14,809 posts, read 31,232,303 times
I see burns on the seats, so it likely stinks like cigarettes.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,088,039 times
Am I missing something here? It says "hot heat AC don't work".

Sounds like the A/C isn't functioning, but the heat works. No reason to fail inspection. No reason to really fix it either unless you live in a really hot climate.

As for the car, (always) try to negotiate a lower price. But it's a good dependable car. Actually kind of fun to drive and will get you 38+ mpg easily. Parts are plentiful and relatively cheap and its an easy car to work on.

If there's nothing glaringly wrong with it, I'd definitely buy it.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM

14,809 posts, read 31,232,303 times
I really doubt Georgia has inspections. I know AL and FL don't.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM

220 posts, read 272,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

Also do you have a place and tools to work on it yourself or do you have to take it in to get simpler things fixed?

How much $$$ do you have extra to spend on Used, Refurbished or Replacement parts that might let go or need replacing sooner rather then later but are Relatively cheap and easy to fix if you can DIY?

I would still get a independent mechanic to inspect it and get it up on lift and go over it with you as well as get the maintenance records and really take a good look and see what it needs and if it is worth it.

Also might be better to try and save another $1500-$2000 and have a budget of $3500-$3800 and start looking at better models of the same car in just in better condition and have some wiggle room

Yeah I would love to do that. In a little bit of a pinch with money. I have a decent job (military) that pays ok but I also have a wife and four kids. I had a little bmw 328i for a while but it recently blew a motor. So I dont have much of a budget, and I am not going out and getting another car payment.

My only other idea was to go to the public auction this Thursday. Theres a chance I can pick up something decent but its just as risky.

I have some minor experience in auto repair. Ive done the basics like change fluids and replace brakes/rotors. I've replaced catalytic converters and collectors and small jobs like that. I also have access to an auto shop on base which is reserved for soldiers who need to work on their own cars. Almost every tool imaginable is there for me to borrow and use.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM

2,341 posts, read 9,272,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

Actually, I'd advise the exact opposite.

One of my brothers-in-law has a 45 mile round trip daily commute. No matter how hard I've tried to beat it into his head, I absolutely CANNOT get him to take any car maintenance seriously. Last year - after his beater at the time died - I found him a great-running ugly old Volvo for $700. He'll continue to drive the living h3ll out of it, and when it dies he'll call U-Pull-It. They'll write him a check for $400 and haul it off.

That's cheap driving. And if that's the kind of driving you want, get a beater-with-a-heater, and drive it till it dies.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,823,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The inspection that is required before a used car can be registered. While I can't say positively, I'm pretty sure that all states require a vehicle to have a functioning heater/defroster system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Not in New Jersey.
Also not in Illinois. And I've registered a car in Chicago and also in Southern Illinois. Only thing we have is 96-newer emissions testing in Chicago which only includes having OBD II scan passed.

Not sure about East St. Louis.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:23 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,175,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Am I missing something here? It says "hot heat AC don't work".

Sounds like the A/C isn't functioning, but the heat works. No reason to fail inspection. No reason to really fix it either unless you live in a really hot climate.

As for the car, (always) try to negotiate a lower price. But it's a good dependable car. Actually kind of fun to drive and will get you 38+ mpg easily. Parts are plentiful and relatively cheap and its an easy car to work on.

If there's nothing glaringly wrong with it, I'd definitely buy it.
That's what I read. A/C problem is probably easy to fix, though a new compressor (if that's what it is) will run $600 or more, depending on whether the part is new, whether they do a full refrigerant flush, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura