U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM

274 posts, read 817,302 times

Advertisements

Dealers in our experience charge at least a third more so I would follow advice above.......take it to an independent mechanic. Garages are known to be unscrupulous if they do not know you......get her to ask around or yelp for a local honest mechanic. We never go near our delaership after they tried to scam us on repairs one time. They are pretty mercenary.
Hope it is not too expensive for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM

575 posts, read 827,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
As I remember -

engine timing belt needs to be replaced
tires have dry rot - need new tires
constant velocity joint boots need to be replaced
wheel alignment needed
vehicle suspension system needs repairs
radiator hoses need replacement
transmission fluids need flush and new put in
brake fluids ditto

all prices are from my neck of the woods (northern NJ, close to NYC)

timing belt (water pump is also usually replaced with this) - $800 - $1200

tires $200 - $300 Wheel allignment usually goes with this

I've never had CV joints done on any car I have owned so I can't advise you there. Listen for clicking or clunking noises when you turn or accellerate

vehicle suspension - need to be more specific with this one. For example, control arms cost ~ about 800, but you weren't specific about what needed to be done.

radiator hoses - are they leaking? I had one hose replaced recently by a mechanic because it was in the back of the engine, and kind of inaccessible ~ $100

I've never heard of anyone flushing brake fluid, just adding more if there was a leak.

I wouldn't trust a dealer to tell me the time of day while they are looking at a clock. Definitely go to an independent mechanic.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 AM

13,348 posts, read 17,292,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
all prices are from my neck of the woods (northern NJ, close to NYC)

timing belt (water pump is also usually replaced with this) - $800 - $1200
Seems pretty high, even for a dealership. What car is this for?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM

7,433 posts, read 7,963,584 times
$1900 gets you a low mileage engine and trans installed.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Not around here. Everything is more expensive where I live. For example, you'd be hard pressed to find someone to do brake pads for $100. Cheapest I've seen it is $150.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 73,920,453 times
Quote:
As I remember -

engine timing belt needs to be replaced
tires have dry rot - need new tires
constant velocity joint boots need to be replaced
wheel alignment needed
vehicle suspension system needs repairs
radiator hoses need replacement
transmission fluids need flush and new put in
brake fluids ditto
They cannot possibly know how many miles since the timing belt was replaced, they just want to do it.

Tire dry rot is a function of time, not usage, usually superficial, not affecting the integrity of the tire. Apparently, she drive very few miles, if her tires are that old and not severely tread-worn. Drive on them until they are worn out.

Boots probably are worn, but usually expensive to replace. Have somebody else look. They probably tell everybody that.

Wheel alignment is cheap, maybe fifty bucks at a comprehensive tire center. Not a safety issue unless it is conspicuous in the feel of steering (pulling right or left), but itll wear out those dryrotted tires sooner.

On a car that old, never flush the transmission fluid. Have brake fluid replaced when brakes need to be redone (if recommended then), obviously they don't need to be now, since they didn't tell her to..

They probably looked at the odometer and ran through a checklist of "recommended" service intervals. If any of the items above fails, have it fixed then. Chances are, something prohibitively major will happen before then, and render the car not worth fixing at all, so drive it as it is. But do have those boots looked at, by somebody honest. One good trick is to take it to a shop that doesn't do that kind of repair (like a body shop or the alignment shop), smile at the guys, and ask them if they think they need replacing. They would have no self-interest in saying to fix them.

I'm not a mechanic, just an old guy who has driven a lot of old cars, and had lots of experiences with shops like that.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-22-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM

10,090 posts, read 12,114,271 times
Quote:
It's running OK but when she took it in to Nally Honda in Atlanta for oil and filter change she was told it needed $1900 worth of repairs. She is single 28 year old Korean woman very short in stature and she look about 15. We are 800 miles away so can't really help her too much. her Daddy told her to get itemized list of suggested repairs, seek 2nd opinion without telling them what Nally said and to let him know.
I told her I would hesitate to put any money in a 17 year old automobile.

What advice would you give her?
Many thanks.

Service writers at the "stealership" are paid on commission. He/she simply wrote up a big estimate on the car. Tell her to thank him and drive away with the fresh oil change and keep on driving. The car isn't worth $1900 so no way would you put that amount of money into that car!

Old 08-22-2013, 04:09 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,745,942 times
I purchased a 1999 civic dx for my son 3 years ago and paid 3k for it and it had aprox 120k ,The car owned by a girl wasn't abused but I have almost 1000 more in parts with me doing all of the labor. Here is what had to be replaced since he got the car.. Radiator , hoses, timing belt and water pump, new distributor wires and plugs,new exhaust manifold(these cars are well know for cracks developing in them) cat converter, exhaust pipe and muffler, brakes, and battery. It now has 170k on it and is dependable. It is well worth 2k .The problem with the car the OP wants is that even if some of these items need to be fixed and he does his own labor he will quickly have more in the car than it is worth, No matter how much he spends on it it will remain a 2 k car tops.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 PM

Also you might go to edmunds.com and look for an article about buying a used car. They go through some of the things you might run into when buying a used car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura