U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 15,438,866 times
Reputation: 11708

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Have you never dealt with a faulty battery - regardless of its age?

No, never saw a Panasonic battery go bad at 10K miles. One thing I do know about those, that they are undersized for the car. That I do.
Also, do know that I had no-start issues due to some green gremlin in chipped key. That I do.
GL, I do know exactly what it looks like. Clicks, jumps. Loud and clear signs of bad battery. But you betcha, they checked it out at dealership.
Nodpete, I have been on Honda sites as active member for years. Cheap battery complaints? Panasonic battery in my Camry is still running strong closing on 8 years. That Honda had major ground rusting issues underneath fuse blocks, that they did. But batteries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 AM
 
2,341 posts, read 9,257,820 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No, never saw a Panasonic battery go bad at 10K miles. One thing I do know about those, that they are undersized for the car. That I do.
Also, do know that I had no-start issues due to some green gremlin in chipped key. That I do.
GL, I do know exactly what it looks like. Clicks, jumps. Loud and clear signs of bad battery. But you betcha, they checked it out at dealership.
Nodpete, I have been on Honda sites as active member for years. Cheap battery complaints? Panasonic battery in my Camry is still running strong closing on 8 years. That Honda had major ground rusting issues underneath fuse blocks, that they did. But batteries?
First of all, dealerships are the last place you want to take your car if you are looking for an intelligent answer. Because of financial pressure, they're notorious for hiring the cheapest techs they can get, all of whom are overseen by one completely frazzled, overworked and underpaid supervisor. Very few good answers there.

Second, when a plate breaks loose in a battery, all bets are off.

Third, there are only 2-3 companies that make car batteries. The label on the battery is the only thing that's different.

Fourth, the fact that a jump start immediately gets the car started makes a bad battery the most likely culprit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Newport, NC
956 posts, read 3,580,835 times
Reputation: 703
I was pretty pissed that the dealer wouldn't do anything. They pretty much put a quick charge on the battery and said "call us if it happens again" I don't claim to be a mechanic, but I'm old enough to know signs of a bad battery when I see them. We have a trip at the end of the month from Erie PA. to Austin TX and you can bet I'll have a new battery in the car before then - one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 AM
 
2,341 posts, read 9,257,820 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
I was pretty pissed that the dealer wouldn't do anything. They pretty much put a quick charge on the battery and said "call us if it happens again" I don't claim to be a mechanic, but I'm old enough to know signs of a bad battery when I see them. We have a trip at the end of the month from Erie PA. to Austin TX and you can bet I'll have a new battery in the car before then - one way or another.
This is not even slightly surprising. They'd love to try to shove you off until after any warranty expires, because warranty work does not make them money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,263 times
Reputation: 10
Default 2012 Honda CR-V Starting problem

I should have read this site before wasting my time and money at the Honda Service Department in the local area. It is true, that Honda puts the cheapest possible battery in their vehicles. My car is only a year old and I had to replace the battery already. None of my last 15 vehicles had I ever had this issue, even in extremely cold weather up North. Batteries should last at least 3 years, expecially if you don't jump folks and take good care of your vehicles.
I love my 2012 Honda CR-V, never had a problem with it at all until this past weekend. I am the original owner of the car and take exceptional care of it. It never misses an oil change or tire rotation.
This weekend after driving for about 50 miles it was returned to its normal spot in the garage. I had left the tailgate up along with the back door and driver's door open for about 2 minutes unloading it. Once unloaded and all doors closed, I turn the key and found nothing but clicking noise. Tried this several times, same thing.
Hooked the battery charger up on it over night. It started normally the next day. Had no more issues with it, but carried jumper cables with me and parked so I could easily be jumped if needed. Drove it to the nearest Honda Service place when they opened on Monday and they checked the battery and said it wasn't the battery, the battery was fine.
Made arragements to leave it with them for troubleshooting, since I thought perhaps it could be the starter and leaving it on the charger overnight was just a coincidence that it started the next morning.
Turns out it wasn't the starter, it was the battery! Apparently the alternator works great because it was able to charge the battery up quickly, so when they checked it the first the time the battery checked good. However they couldn't find anything wrong with my car, they decided to do exactly what I had done on Saturday. Opened the tailgate, opened the back door and drivers door for about 1 minute, then tried to start it. There was the repeatable clicking when trying to start it. They then put the battery tester on and found 2 dead cells.
Little irritated with myself that I didn't trust my instincts and just go buy a new battery myself and replace it for 1/2 the cost and a whole less time and aggravation of taking it to the Honda Service department that is only open during the week days for certain hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2014, 05:43 PM
 
558 posts, read 866,237 times
Reputation: 1038
I had an 08 Civic and in 2009 at 15k in the middle of Summer the battery just died. I was in the middle of the desert on a road trip to CA, fueld up, came out and click click click. Honda makes excellent vehicles but the batteries and tires they put on them to get em out the door are junk. So check your tires after about 15k too. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM
 
1,724 posts, read 2,256,052 times
Reputation: 2637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
invest into several things:
1. battery cleaning tool
2. dielectric grease, or electrician grease
3. battery sealant.
4. terminal felt pads, green and red.
Total expense will be around $15 with tax.
When you install new battery, clean terminlas on both cables and battery. Yes, I know it's new. Clean anyway.
Lubricate felt pads with grease, as in - LIBERALLY, and set them on battery poles, red on positive.
Lubricate cable terminals and battery poles with grease.
Set cable terminals onto the poles ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BATTERY SURFACE. If you need to hammer on them, do so, just gently. Felt pads will need to be compressed by terminals. Reason being, most folks sets them up high on conical pole, and terminal slowly works itself up on it, causing gap and corrosion.
I even drive a self tapping screw through both, to secure them in place.
Spray over with battery sealant. You good for about 2 years, then you need to do over. Re-spray sealant about once a year.
Enjoy very long lasting battery.
And no stereo unless you know the radio code on a Honda.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Northeast Tennessee
7,305 posts, read 23,420,702 times
Reputation: 5487
I am not sure, but I have a friend with a 2013 Honda CRZ (I think, it is one of those rarely seen 2-seater models) and she said that when we had that unusually cold snap back in January that her car would not start, as if the battery was dead and the car was only 3 months old.

I have a 2012 Civic with 2,300 miles (that I only drive on the weekends) and my car has set for 2-3 weeks before without even being started and it has started right up, even in the unusually cold weather spells. Maybe Honda had a bad batch of batteries or something??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2014, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Northeast Tennessee
7,305 posts, read 23,420,702 times
Reputation: 5487
Did they make you purchase a new battery? I would think it being defective that it would have been covered under the 3 year / 36K mile bumper to bumper warranty? I would be furious if my battery conked out at one year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Hall View Post
I should have read this site before wasting my time and money at the Honda Service Department in the local area. It is true, that Honda puts the cheapest possible battery in their vehicles. My car is only a year old and I had to replace the battery already. None of my last 15 vehicles had I ever had this issue, even in extremely cold weather up North. Batteries should last at least 3 years, expecially if you don't jump folks and take good care of your vehicles.
I love my 2012 Honda CR-V, never had a problem with it at all until this past weekend. I am the original owner of the car and take exceptional care of it. It never misses an oil change or tire rotation.
This weekend after driving for about 50 miles it was returned to its normal spot in the garage. I had left the tailgate up along with the back door and driver's door open for about 2 minutes unloading it. Once unloaded and all doors closed, I turn the key and found nothing but clicking noise. Tried this several times, same thing.
Hooked the battery charger up on it over night. It started normally the next day. Had no more issues with it, but carried jumper cables with me and parked so I could easily be jumped if needed. Drove it to the nearest Honda Service place when they opened on Monday and they checked the battery and said it wasn't the battery, the battery was fine.
Made arragements to leave it with them for troubleshooting, since I thought perhaps it could be the starter and leaving it on the charger overnight was just a coincidence that it started the next morning.
Turns out it wasn't the starter, it was the battery! Apparently the alternator works great because it was able to charge the battery up quickly, so when they checked it the first the time the battery checked good. However they couldn't find anything wrong with my car, they decided to do exactly what I had done on Saturday. Opened the tailgate, opened the back door and drivers door for about 1 minute, then tried to start it. There was the repeatable clicking when trying to start it. They then put the battery tester on and found 2 dead cells.
Little irritated with myself that I didn't trust my instincts and just go buy a new battery myself and replace it for 1/2 the cost and a whole less time and aggravation of taking it to the Honda Service department that is only open during the week days for certain hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,059 times
Reputation: 10
I have had a similar issue regarding my 24 month old CRV. Last week, my wife had trouble starting the car and when we took the car to the dealership, they said that all systems were OK. This morning my son had similar issues with starting the car. When we took it to a sam's club, they said that the battery was needing of replacement. So far the CRV seems fine, but we can't be too sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top