U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM

31 posts, read 48,720 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I need assistance from someone who is a very experienced mechanic.

The last couple of years have been difficult upon the employment scien. But I have what seems to be a good opportunity now however,It's an hour drive each way and I'm driving a 2000 Honda Civic with 133k.

I take good care of it but need to do some work to it.

1st) The ride, tires wear evenly but it's way uncomfortable...will new shocks and struts fix that?

2nd) my front rotors have some ridges in them, so I put new pads on to just get buy. I still have plenty on them however, i get some scraping at slow stops,....do I need new rotors? or just keep putting pads on?

3rd) I'm getting ready to do another tune up, Last one was two years ago. As for oil, I hear, thicker in the winter is better. I also hear put 10w-30 in......Does that sound correct?

any other advice would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 PM

2,341 posts, read 9,321,004 times
If you're going to keep this car and drive it - which I think you should - fix it right.

1. What do you mean by the ride being "uncomfortable"? Did some dink lower the suspension to make a "make believe race car" out of it? Does it bounce too much when going over bumps? Bottom out?

2. Pay VERY close attention to your brakes. When they wear out, replace BOTH front pads and rotors.

3. The higher the viscosity number on oil, the thicker it is. In other words, 20w-50 is thicker than 5w-20. If you're not in a severe climate, seasons don't matter much. But if you're up north - like I am - you definitely use "thinner" oil (lower viscosity) in the winter.

Check out RockAuto.com if you want some discounted prices for parts.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Ha HaHa, no, I don't trick out cars. Everything is stock.

Suspension: I mean the ride is firm, like it looks for bumps in the road, I want to make it a bit more softer of a ride.

Oil: so, with the current milage, do you have a suggestion on weight and brand.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 PM

10,542 posts, read 15,625,643 times
1. Do bounce test. Iffront and rear bounces up and down few times - well, new struts will help for several months. Far as I remember, it has strut cartridges... And wishbone suspension. I have never ever had replaement struts to last for any significant time, as in - really improve ride quality. Something does not sound right though. Bad struts give bouncy ride, not firm ride. You need to investigate deeper.
2. Replace rotors. Ciivic rotors are around $30 aftermarket. Unfortunately, you pads by now have groves in them. Hence, as you need to bed rotors and pads, you either replace pads same time, or make sure you have groves shaved down to flat.
3. No, you do not use thicker oil winter time. Oil depends. You supposed to run on 5W20 as far as I know. So do it. If your engine is taking oil, THEN you can go for a bit heavier weight, as in - 10W30.
Also, what you most likely need to do is to replace plugs and plug seals in valve cover. Youtube this, plenty of vids there.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 PM

I am assuming it's automatic... Replace spark plugs with Iridium tipped NGK, not expensive; replace those seals; you are likely to still have distributor, so get new cap and rotor; new wires; do full ATF replacement, no flush. That's about it for your tuneup. You may replace coolant. Done.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i drive View Post
Ha HaHa, no, I don't trick out cars. Everything is stock.

Suspension: I mean the ride is firm, like it looks for bumps in the road, I want to make it a bit more softer of a ride.

Oil: so, with the current milage, do you have a suggestion on weight and brand.
Are you losing oil - as in, leaking or burning it? If not, 5W30 is what is (I believe) recommended by Honda. Keep in mind that there is no one "magic oil" that your car must have. No one brand name, etc.

Also, at that age and with those miles, if none of your shocks & struts have been changed, they're due. No real need for any type of testing. They're due.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 PM

Not nerecessilly. Our RX300 is just fine with 148000 original miles on original struts. Very comfortable, stable ride.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Not nerecessilly. Our RX300 is just fine with 148000 original miles on original struts. Very comfortable, stable ride.
...in your opinion. Change them out, then see what your wife says about the ride.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 AM

The car does burn oil. I usually put a half quart in every 3 weeks. My sister used to own this car and had bought it new she tends to believe she had the shocks done at on time. I'll know for sure today. Also, I understand, that I can purchase tires(when the time comes) that will change the ride (entirely) Is that true of tires and does that apply to such small tires as well? BTW, I have the cheapest tires on it now, about 1/2 to 2/3 worn.

I really appreciate everyones input.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i drive View Post
The car does burn oil. I usually put a half quart in every 3 weeks. My sister used to own this car and had bought it new she tends to believe she had the shocks done at on time. I'll know for sure today. Also, I understand, that I can purchase tires(when the time comes) that will change the ride (entirely) Is that true of tires and does that apply to such small tires as well? BTW, I have the cheapest tires on it now, about 1/2 to 2/3 worn.

I really appreciate everyones input.
If you have el-cheapo tires, that are down to the last 1/3 of the tread, you will be AMAZED by the difference a new set of nice tires will make.

With your car going through a little oil, do NOT use synthetic oil. It tends to leak a little worse than dino oil, plus it costs twice as much. It's just not worth it. If you're not in an extremely cold climate, use a little bit thicker oil - maybe 10W30 or even 10W40. Add a bit of Lucas Oil Stabilizer - not synthetic, but the regular stuff. It might decrease your oil consumption a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura