U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,951,130 times

Advertisements

I've looked up my CR-V & it's described as a 'compact SUV', but, can it be parked in a space saying 'compact'... not 'compact cars only', just 'compact'? I've seen these spaces in a few nearby parking lots & the spaces are the same size as adjoining spaces with no restrictions. I don't need to use one... but, I was curious just in case it was all that was available.

One last thing, regardless of the answer, are those compact spaces designated according to DMV rules or city/town laws or is it the decision of property owners of the stores/apt complexes?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM

5,916 posts, read 9,053,237 times
"•Many parking lots have spaces marked for "compacts" only. A compact is supposedly a small car (the term dates from the 1970's oil squeeze), but "small" is relative here.... In fact, "compact" now seems to mean "anything that isn't a large van, truck, stretched limo or Cadillac". Your average four-door sedan will usually fit just fine, and no one is likely to complain." from The California Driving Guide: Parking

"g. Compact Vehicle Parking
Compact vehicle spaces are only allowed to be used as surplus parking and
cannot be used to satisfy the minimum parking requirement per the Zoning
Ordinance. Compact spaces should be no less than 8’ wide and 16’ long.
Compact spaces should be restricted for use by compact vehicles and
identified with pavement stenciling and/or signage. Compact spaces should be
located furthest from the building entrances to discourage use by non-compact
vehicles." from http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/pds/advan...ign_Manual.pdf

The word "compact" is not included in the definitions at the start of the California vehicle code. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_..._contents.html

Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 PM

5,088 posts, read 9,040,540 times
Yes, who will stop you? You are not going to get a ticket as "compact car only" is not a legal parking sign, now SHOULD you, no CR-V is an SUV, its a small suv but its not a compact car. I would say that parking is for Civic/Cobalt/Focus/Golf cars ad smaller

Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,514,328 times
PT, you're not going to get a ticket for parking your Hummer in a Compact parking space. It'll probably get keyed though.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,076,201 times
That Honda car is so large I would park as far away as possible out near the Ford F350 quad cab DRW vehicles, because it is just so awesome.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 PM

501 posts, read 790,865 times
My F-150 fits perfectly in them! No one is going to get mad at you or punish you for doing it.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
"•Many parking lots have spaces marked for "compacts" only. A compact is supposedly a small car (the term dates from the 1970's oil squeeze), but "small" is relative here.... In fact, "compact" now seems to mean "anything that isn't a large van, truck, stretched limo or Cadillac". Your average four-door sedan will usually fit just fine, and no one is likely to complain." from The California Driving Guide: Parking

The word "compact" is not included in the definitions at the start of the California vehicle code. CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
Thank you for your info, OS. Nice to hear from someone who isn't in need of mental support. In my apt complex, we do have 15 or so compact spaces & the complex now tows cars not legally parked (normally meaning without parking placards or 1-day passes from the office)... I'll inquire as to the legality of using compact spaces, since they now tow rather than ticket. When running errands today, I noticed a # of local parking areas for compact only, so I was just curious. My car would fit fine in the compact spaces in my complex... but, I've never seen anything other than a car parked there. I'm just curious.

Thanks again.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,053,819 times
In my work parking garage and others "compact" spaces are SHORTER. So if your car is too long it won't fit into the length of the space. So it risks getting hit. In some garages they're also a little narrower, to the parking is tighter.

But this is another example of people not being courteous or caring about others.
Common sense - which isn't so common -- is that a Honda CRV is NOT what's meant by a compact vehicle, and not should be parked in a 'compact' space. (whether the garage is full or not)

AND people with long trucks, or hummers, or vans -- park some place else. If you get keyed you deserve it. That's no different from parking on the line between spaces and hogging up two spots. If your truck is so long that the rear encroaches into the spot behind it, why can't you be courteous enough to park farther away from the first parking spots?
I guess because that would meaning of someone OTHER than yourself.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
The new CRV is 178" long. Older ones are even shorter. New Civic sedans are 179". I would think a CRV qualifies as 'Compact'.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:20 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,053,819 times
But it's still a bit wide. No? Or wider than a true 'compact car." Putting it in a slightly narrower space still is inconsiderate, or at least not wise. If you get a dent in the side....don't complain.

When people squeeze me in by parking to close to the side line, I make sure I bump their car with my door (which has protective guards on the edges.). If you don't want to get bumped don't park on the line of the space, or put an SUV in a compact spot. Is it that hard to park in the middle of a parking space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or