Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My Son used to have a 96 Accord with the best Clifford alarm you could buy, and people tried stealing the car many times during the time he owned it. We would be in the house and the alarm would go off and we would see someone running away, then an hour later they tried it again. I think they were trying to get us to be so fed up with the alarm sound that we would turn it off so they could really steal it. Same thing happened at our shop one night, alarm went off and when my Son ran out a guy was hot footing down the parking lot.

He had another one that was actually stolen and the cops found it abandoned in a ditch with a broken axle. Evidently, someone stole it and was beating on it when the axle snapped so they shoved it in a ditch and left.

Damn things are a magnet for thieves.

Don

What do you mean by 'beating on it'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 01:21 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What do you mean by 'beating on it'?
Driving it like a race car, curb hopping or off-roading (accidentally or intentionally), just generally abusing the car.

---------------

My friend had her '96 Accord stolen. It turned up in a parking lot a month later with only 20 extra miles and no damage except to the ignition lock. It hadn't been in that parking lot more than a day or two though, so someone took it, drove it somewhere, couldn't figure out what to do with it, and then dumped it in that parking lot.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:38 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Living close to the Mexican border, the car theft rate is bad over here. In CA especially, early 90's Accords and Civics are always getting jacked and driven either for a joy ride, or taken for parts across the border into TJ.

I should know, my mothers 94 Accord LX was stolen and driven down south close to the border, but it looked like the thiefs didn't make it that far because it was found sitting on cement blocks on some street, with no wheels, exterior trim and they even tried to rip out the air bags for parts as they are very expensive to replace. Bastards! That was such a great car too, those 94-97 Accords were awesome high quality little cars, so I understand why they are highly sought after.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:12 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
My old '94 Accord was stolen once and broken another time. My Dad's '98 was broken into once or twice I think. Haven't had any issues with my current Accord though.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 AM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times
1990-1997 Accord 58k stolen
1990-2000 Civic 47k stolen

I had the 1998 Accord and I believe it was the first year they included the engine immobilizer.

Living in So Cal I see tons of these old Accords and Civics still on the road, being driven mostly by Mexicans. So the parts are in high demand.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 AM

896 posts, read 1,139,183 times
We have a 2008 Honda CRV and our catalytic converter was stolen last evening. We found the wires and the bolts on the ground. I am just hoping that once we replace it, they don't come back for the new one. We are living in an apartment complex, and it is not garaged. Btw, we've only been in our new town/state a few months.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:29 AM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times
Didn't the alarm go off?

When I had an Acura Integra, thieves used to steal the turn signal cover.... which cost $150 to replace.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:30 AM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
lol i never use the car alarm for our accord.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:28 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
Even with alarms and immobilizers, they are still easy to steal.

People that steal these cars, know them inside and out. Once you know the car, you find that all the security stuff is super easy to bypass and "fool" without any keys.

Theres many parts on them that one would want, anything from the wheels to the engine, to seats and speakers.

I remember when (and still) VTEC engines found in some civics and integras were very desirable to street racers. There were some tuner shops around here that would do work on peoples cars, and then go out and steal the customers car a month or so later.

Its quick flip work. Someone needs a new engine fast. They would pay someone to go out and get what they need. Kinda like how hit men do work lol

Old 04-20-2014, 01:53 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
They mentioned on Jeopardy last night that the Honda Accord was the car stolen the most in 2013.
But I thought it was hard to steal a car that has the security immobilizer on it, and the Accord does have that. Why would it be stolen so much?
Maybe they meant Accords that were made before it had the immobilizer.
Why? Because it's easy to hide a damn shoe box, but why anyone would want to OWN one is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura