Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Honda, others recall another 2.9 million vehicles over air bag flaw | Reuters

"Honda Motor Co and other Japanese automakers on Monday recalled more cars with potentially explosive air bags supplied by Takata Corp, bringing the total recall so far to around 10.5 million vehicles over the past five years.

The series of recalls cover both passenger-side and driver-side air bags, which the world's second-biggest automotive safety parts maker manufactured in 2000-02. The total ranks it among the five biggest recalls in the industry's history."

Like I said before, the Toyota and GM recalls are just the tip of the iceberg. We'll be seeing a lot more of these things in the coming months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Only 2000-2002?
Good.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Only 2000-2002?
Good.

Nope later than that, too, if you read the article:

"In the United States, NHTSA opened a probe earlier this month on whether Takata inflators made after 2002 are prone to fail, and whether driving in high humidity contributes to the risk of air bag explosions.In a June 11 letter to the NHTSA, Takata said it would support "regional campaigns" to replace certain driver-side air bag inflators made between January 2004 and June 2007, as well as certain passenger-side inflators made between June 2000 and July 2004. Takata said it believes these inflators were supplied to BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota for vehicles sold in the United States."

Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
And those are NOT the model years for the vehicle. They're the year of manufacture for the supplier of the airbag.

Mike

Old 04-04-2015, 05:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
just got recall letter in the mail today for my 2005 Honda CRV, this recall is being expanded greatly. The letter's tone was very urgent. I actually had called my dealer about a week ago to set up some other maintenance and the service dept asked me if I was aware of this recall and at the time I wasn't. They had to order the parts and I still haven't heard back so I'm going to follow up on Monday and get this going. I'm actually kind of afraid to drive the car now, and the letter also said not to have a passenger sit in the front passenger seat...so I don't want anybody else in my car right now either. The letter said if the dealer doesn't take care of this right away, there's a number to call.

Has anybody else had any experience with this?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
I just called my dealer for my 04 Element. He said the parts are "on big time backorder" nationwide. That dealership alone, a small town one, has over 1000 cars they anticipate needing parts for. He ordered my parts and suggested I call in a month if I hadn't heard from them. My car also has another recall regarding an ignition part that they'll fix at the same time. This is not a Honda specific issue. Lots of makes involved.

You can check your VIN against recalls here: Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

Old 04-06-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Only 2000-2002?
Good.
Check your VIN at the link I posted. This is a real big deal.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:56 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I called about my air bag order and was told that Honda is now scheduled to deliver in June! I have a rental car so I guess I will be using it until June, which is very inconvenient not to have my own car...but there's no way I'm going to drive it. They got the passenger side air bag right away so that's been taken care of but the drivers side bag is the issue. They are really in big do-do on this mess.

Anybody know if the dealership could completely disengage the air bag so it can't do anything, or would that be illegal?

Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 AM

Just got a call from the dealer. The parts are in for my 04 Element. To be repaired tomorrow. Not too bad of a wait all things considered.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?
Narrator: You wouldn't believe.
Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?
Narrator: A major one.

Fight Club the movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura