Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM

47 posts, read 226,787 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a new car and I have narrowed my choices down to three cars. A 2014 Honda Accord EX-L 4 cylinder, a 2014 Accord Hybrid, or a 2015 Subaru Legacy. I only like Japanese cars so after looking at all the automakers these are the only ones I will consider. I live in Knoxville, Tennessee and I'm thankful that I have a short commute, it's only 2.3 miles each way, so less than 5 miles daily. The commute is 100% city driving.

I was reading about the Accord Hybrid and read that it has amazing MPG but for a short commute like mine, would a hybrid car make sense? Other than the 4.6 mile commute 5 times a week, I will not be taking any long road trips like let's says 500 miles, so the car will have low miles for a long time. I will plan on keeping this car for 10 years and then trading it in. I was doing some calculations and I would be putting 1,104 miles a year on just going to work alone, so that is nothing. I was looking at the price of the Accord Ex-L and the Accord Hybrid and the price difference is not that much, so I am thinking of going for the hybrid model. The Hybrid touring is $34,000, which is the top of the line hybrid model.

Thoughts? Also, for people that have the 2014 Accord 4 cylinder and hybrid, how many miles do you get per full tank of gas? No, I do not want to know MPG, I want to know how many miles per gallon. Also I would like to know from people who have 2015 Subaru Legacys and Outbacks as well. I really like the Legacy (I test drove the premium model, great handling) but afraid the gas mileage is not going to be that great because it's AWD and my commute is 100% city driving.

I am heavily leaning towards the Accord hybrid, followed by the Accord 4 cylinder, then the Legacy. Thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 05:55 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,671,589 times
I do t know the mpg specs but I can tell you Subaru has done a great job getting great mileage from their cars. It doesn't seem to take an AWD penalty.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:55 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,056,525 times
If you drive 1000 miles a year, gas mileage should be the last thing on your mind. The difference between 15 mpg and 45 mpg is about $178 (based on $4/gallon gas). There is no reason at all to buy a hybrid, especially compared to a car that gets closer to 30 mpg. You'd never make up the difference in price vs gas savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Thoughts? Also, for people that have the 2014 Accord 4 cylinder and hybrid, how many miles do you get per full tank of gas? No, I do not want to know MPG,
Just curious why this matters? Again, at 1000 miles a year the difference is filling up the tank maybe 3-4 times a year.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
If you drive 1000 miles a year, gas mileage should be the last thing on your mind. The difference between 15 mpg and 45 mpg is about $178 (based on $4/gallon gas). There is no reason at all to buy a hybrid, especially compared to a car that gets closer to 30 mpg. You'd never make up the difference in price vs gas savings.

Just curious why this matters? Again, at 1000 miles a year the difference is filling up the tank maybe 3-4 times a year.

I see your point, raveabouttoast. The only reason I was preferring the hybrid over the regular 4 cylinder accord is because the hybrid is only about $4,000 more than the regular 4 cylinder Accord.

I also want to know how many miles I get to a full tank of gas is to compare to my current car. I drive a 1996 Honda Accord 4 cylinder and I am currently getting anywhere from 280 to 300 miles on a full tank. I am just curious what a newer modern car would get.

Thanks for your help

Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
I also want to know how many miles I get to a full tank of gas is to compare to my current car. I drive a 1996 Honda Accord 4 cylinder and I am currently getting anywhere from 280 to 300 miles on a full tank. I am just curious what a newer modern car would get.

Thanks for your help
I would imagine it would be roughly the same(assuming the tanks are the same size). When your driving distance is so short, it does not allow the car to get up to operation temperature where you can get the better fuel economy.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I would imagine it would be roughly the same(assuming the tanks are the same size). When your driving distance is so short, it does not allow the car to get up to operation temperature where you can get the better fuel economy.

I understand. Other than work I may go to a few towns nearby (one is nearly 30 miles away one way) but other than that all of it will be city driving.

Thank you for your input. Please keep your responses coming.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:39 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,138,644 times
4 mile commute? Maybe get a bicycle!

Seriously, I think the 4 cylinder is good enough.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,643,072 times
If you go on road trips, hybrid, if not, which ever feels better to you.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 PM

7,045 posts, read 8,858,082 times
I would not bother with the hybrid, you would never drive enough miles to offset the extra cost.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 PM

18,758 posts, read 27,181,960 times
OK, as a hybrid vehicle owner, I'll tell you what you need. An electrical car. You will have NO benefit from hybrid drive on such short distances. NO. NONE. Zero. It may actually be even worse, than a conventional engine.
For such short trips, there are no good mpg vehicles. Engine basically does not even warm up.
You need something that is very light, has small engine, or no engine at all. Even Prius will not be beneficial.
Bus is the most efficient mpg mean of conveyance for you, followed by bicycle, trike, or something like Geo Metro with manual transmission. I almost said Elio, but I believe it's a scam, so I'll pass on that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura