Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:16 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,158,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Penske is usually great (Price and truck).
Seems you will need a pretty small truck (I usually get the 26' with DT 466 for heavier moves) I have done 4 moves for friends, PNW to TX and AZ. Just ask for return airfare and a Penske truck! (I don't drive Uhaul or Budget)

As mentioned... my tow rigs are 48HP (VW Pickup) ... 17 yrs prior to TDI arriving on the scene. (in USA)

My TDI's (91hp) I expect a bit more out of (economy and performance)

I would never own a German engineered car with an Automatic. That is a curse.

Automatic = No Tow for me.

I do have a friend with DSG TDI that tows a pop-up camping trailer ~ 38MPG through Canadian Rockies. Way low economy for my tastes.

CR-V... and Honda in general is pretty close to minimally powered and driveline for car w/ passengers.

The CR-V, when I follow them, I marvel at the drive shaft size (15mm?) much smaller than my motorcycles!
I do wonder how much can be towed with the new VW TDI and DSG (automatic) transmission, if anybody knows of someone doing it successfully, please let me know.

There are no hard facts I can find on my search...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I do wonder how much can be towed with the new VW TDI and DSG (automatic) transmission, if anybody knows of someone doing it successfully, please let me know.

There are no hard facts I can find on my search...
TDI info here.

TDIclub.com

(I doubt if there are hard facts ... i.e. Manf commitment . VW is very cautious in USA and Canada to avoid liability claims and class action. Thus other countries get lots more free 'recall' fixes and such (100% Biodiesel warrantee in Europe, (USA is 5% max).

Towing with CRV... empty weight of any substantial trailer will be 500#+. Add passengers, fuel, cargo in vehicle and not much trailer cargo available.

Towing with trailer brakes is vital if more than 1/3 weight of towing vehicle.

As a 40+ yr Commercial driver, I have helped pick up a lot of 'spilled' loads from inexperienced drivers 'flipping out'

Don't do it... How much MUST go? Ship it. Fuel for the Penske is gonna be plenty. Add the truck cost and shipping might be less expensive.

$0.02
Ymmv

Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM

248 posts, read 340,717 times
It's cheap to hire a tractor trailer for a small move; look around on the internet, there are independent haulers that will rent out unused space in a tractor for your move; I moved a 2 bd apartment sized amount of stuff from Rochester NY to Portland OR for $1800 a few years back; went off without a hitch but you need to load and unload (locals are available for another search on line for the unloading part, or make friends ahead of time ) Your move is shorter and sounds like less stuff and will accordingly be less expensive, maybe 1K? Figure a few days of living in a hotel until your stuff comes or pack enough in the car to camp out in your new place.

PODS or firms like it are also a good choice; the cost is mileage plus poundage or cubic feet. Get rid of as many books as possible before the move, there's most of your weight right there.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
The V6 in the Rav4 was pretty potent and capable of towing. The anemic 4 banger in the CRV isnt.
My wife's RAV V6 includes a tow package installed as an option, transmission cooler, upgraded radiator, fan coupling, and not sure what else. Capable of towing 3,500 pounds. Yeah the V6 in the RAV is strong, almost overpowered for it's size and purpose.

4 cylinder in a CRV? I doubt it. OP - at the very least put in a tranny cooler.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,056 times
I love the CRV and we've had several in our family over the years. They are reliable and pretty tough little trucks for going through snow, dirt, etc, but I would not tow with one. Maybe a small boat or something, but not from CA to TX. They are underpowered when it comes to mountain grades and you will face TONS of mountain grades on your trip. I think it would be unsafe.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:26 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I recommend PODS are something similar for small moves. Save your car.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:33 PM

256 posts, read 320,814 times
Have any of you used PODS before? What is the price range? When I moved to California from Texas, the total cost of the truck was about $1,000 including gas. I'm willing to do it again.

Yeah I think it would probably be a bad idea to try and tow furniture. I was keeping my fingers crossed that the CR-V could tow some weight though. No luck.. I would definitely sell off a bunch of this stuff, but we just got it (and I love my new grill...).

Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,585,975 times
No I own a real truck that can tow 5,500 pounds. I could probably tow 2 of your Hondas.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:02 PM

256 posts, read 320,814 times
Congrats.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,187 times
I've towed my motorcycle in an open trailer with my CRV many times. My CRV towed it easily but mine is a 5speed manual, the automatic might have to work a little harder. As long as the combined weight is not over the 1500lb limit you should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura