Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I'm going to ride in one of these within six months of launch date. Mark my words.
Nobody cares unless you own it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:36 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Honda's performance target was the Ferrari 458. If it matches that - they will very much be in the territory they need to be. Their original goal was the Audi R8 - but that was with a NA V6. They changed to the twin turbo V6 when they upped their performance target.
The issue is that it's performance numbers are really good when compared to cars from a few years ago but not so much what's available now.

For example, it's more of a match for the C6 Z06....but not so much for the new C7 Z06 which has wayyy more horsepower than it's predecessor. (Just mentioning it as an example of increased power in recent models, not trying to start a corvette vs. Nsx urination contest.)

Now granted I assume it's got a great interior etc.etc etc. but that niche is chock full of great cars for 150k including the R8, porsches etc etc. It just seems to have missed the recent surge in power we've seen in elite vehicles.

For that kind of coin, I personally think the R8 looks a lot nicer and I'm INCREDIBLY leerly of the first model year or two of bugs in any new launch like this.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:37 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Front end is horrible looking, looks like a CRV smashed down.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:57 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Ford GT is targeted for different use than the NSX. The GT is a street legal race car. We'll never see one on the road except on its way to the track or to a car show. The NSX, like the original, is a car that can be driven anytime, anywhere.

Note that the NSX will be shipping later this year. The Ford GT not till next year. Let's see how Ford does with that 600 HP 3.5L V6.

(I like the Ford GT a lot).
The marketing departments may say they are targeting different users but I guarantee they will be cross shopped heavily. Neither one will have masses driving them as daily commuters in the price range they are in. Sunny day drivers on clear roads with no loose aggregate to chip the paint near major metro areas where there is money and service support readily available.

Don't get me wrong - I love the technology and the platform and was a huge fan of the original NSX. I just think the Ford looks sexier and will have a fun factor that the NSX may not match. We'll see when they are on the road and we can mash the loud pedal with childish abandon.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:49 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
IMO, Acura was never into the hp wars. Even the first gen NXS had under 300hp and the Toyota Supra Turbo at the time had more horses. Sounds like a cliche but Acura was more about precision handling and if the new NXS has north of 500hp, it's nothing spectacular but it is on par with what is out there in the mid 100k range.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
The marketing departments may say they are targeting different users but I guarantee they will be cross shopped heavily. Neither one will have masses driving them as daily commuters in the price range they are in. Sunny day drivers on clear roads with no loose aggregate to chip the paint near major metro areas where there is money and service support readily available.

Don't get me wrong - I love the technology and the platform and was a huge fan of the original NSX. I just think the Ford looks sexier and will have a fun factor that the NSX may not match. We'll see when they are on the road and we can mash the loud pedal with childish abandon.
I disagree. The GT will probably cost $250K or more. The amount of carbon fiber in it alone will put in the 458 and above category.

The NSX will get a look by any high end sports car shopper - knowing that it can be driven every day if they want.

The GT should be faster, since it will be lighter and has a HP advantage. But we will not see GTs on the road. The GT is a street legal race car.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The issue is that it's performance numbers are really good when compared to cars from a few years ago but not so much what's available now.

For example, it's more of a match for the C6 Z06....but not so much for the new C7 Z06 which has wayyy more horsepower than it's predecessor. (Just mentioning it as an example of increased power in recent models, not trying to start a corvette vs. Nsx urination contest.)

Now granted I assume it's got a great interior etc.etc etc. but that niche is chock full of great cars for 150k including the R8, porsches etc etc. It just seems to have missed the recent surge in power we've seen in elite vehicles.

For that kind of coin, I personally think the R8 looks a lot nicer and I'm INCREDIBLY leerly of the first model year or two of bugs in any new launch like this.
Corvettes usually win the $/HP game. But buyers pass them over all the time for subjective reasons.

With 550 HP and AWD, partially from electricity, I don't see why it can't accelerate like a GT-R, which beats every Vette to 60 MPH. If the NSX matches the 458 - thats 0-60 in 3.0 secs. More than fast enough to be competitive - especially at $100K less than a 458.

There is lots of market to work with. If there wasn't, everyone who wanted a fast car would buy a Vette or 911. Yet people buy Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lambos, Audis, Porsches, etc. Note that the high end hybrids like the BMW i8 cost $140K and up. The i8 has just 357 HP. The Porsche hybrid 918 is in the ultra high end category - since its price is $850K and up.

I'd be leery of the new NSX at first too - mostly because of the all new powertrain. Some of the technology is a newer version of the hybrid SH-AWD in the RLX. But the V6 is all new (who else has a 75 degree V6?).

Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
The instant torque of the NSX electric motor really intrigues me.
IDK if you guys remember the drag race between the tesla and the gtr... but the tesla was keeping up with the gtr until the end.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
The instant torque of the NSX electric motor really intrigues me.
IDK if you guys remember the drag race between the tesla and the gtr... but the tesla was keeping up with the gtr until the end.
I agree that this is different than launch control with AWD like a GT-R. No turbo lag at launch, and will use the front motors for torque vectoring. Lots of software involved, but fewer differentials/clutches, etc.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:36 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I think I'd still prefer this one instead.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura