Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 PM

162 posts, read 247,536 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I currently have 104k miles on my 2007 Acura TSX with Navi. So far (knock on wood) the car is running great. All maintenance has been done, with the exception of the spark plugs being replaced last oil change (101k miles).

I am planning on having the spark plugs replaced at the Honda dealership (where I take my car usually for service - Acura is pretty far unfortunately, and Honda is cheaper). Do you all suggest that I have these replaced? I have heard yes and no to this. The car is not misfiring, and seems to be running great.

Also, the service advisor was trying to have me do a valve adjustment when I change the spark plugs. My engine is not making any noise (valve ticks), etc. Is this really necessary? I am on a tight budget, and they want like $500 to do this. Unfortunately, I am not mechanically inclined and can't do it myself.

What do you all think on these 2 services? I am not sure what to do, and would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 01:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I would follow whatever the manual says when the maintenance minder shows a required service.

Is this a 4 cylinder engine?

If you are on a tight budget you can probably defer both the plugs and valve adjustment. If you want to do the plugs - that might be worth doing even if you notice any misfiring. A worn plug can fire just fine, but combustion might not be as clean as it should be.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 PM

162 posts, read 247,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I would follow whatever the manual says when the maintenance minder shows a required service.

Is this a 4 cylinder engine?

If you are on a tight budget you can probably defer both the plugs and valve adjustment. If you want to do the plugs - that might be worth doing even if you notice any misfiring. A worn plug can fire just fine, but combustion might not be as clean as it should be.
Yes, it is a 2.4L 4cylinder V-Tech engine. My budget is pretty tight, so I will most likely do the spark plugs and hold off on the valve adjustment.

I really wish I was more mechanically inclined. Lately, I have been going to the dealership for service. I have been having bad experiences at these chain places - midas, merlins, etc.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:20 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Your manual should say that valve adjustment is needed with the engine makes excessive noise.
If things are tight, I would think it would be ok to skip the valve adjustment. However, spark plugs, I would change.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
Yes, it is a 2.4L 4cylinder V-Tech engine. My budget is pretty tight, so I will most likely do the spark plugs and hold off on the valve adjustment.

I really wish I was more mechanically inclined. Lately, I have been going to the dealership for service. I have been having bad experiences at these chain places - midas, merlins, etc.
I meant to say the plugs would be good to change even if you DON'T notice misfires.

There are not too many things more straightforward to do than change plugs on a transverse inline four cylinder engine. The plugs usually face forward. Parts cost is probably about $40 for the plugs. Need a ratchet with an extension, and the proper spark plug socket.

As for service places, I don't like dealers much, but I like national chains even less. They will almost certainly push hard to sell unneeded service items.

Find a good local Honda/Acura independent. There should be several in your area.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I meant to say the plugs would be good to change even if you DON'T notice misfires.

There are not too many things more straightforward to do than change plugs on a transverse inline four cylinder engine. The plugs usually face forward. Parts cost is probably about $40 for the plugs. Need a ratchet with an extension, and the proper spark plug socket.

As for service places, I don't like dealers much, but I like national chains even less. They will almost certainly push hard to sell unneeded service items.

Find a good local Honda/Acura independent. There should be several in your area.
I agree with this. I had a 2003 Civic Si and I could swap out the plugs in less than 15 minutes and be on the road. The motor in your TSX is the same K-series motor so the time would be about the same.

Now, if you don't want to do this or don't have the tools, etc, there is no reason at all to take it to a dealership for plug replacement. Find an independent Honda/Acura center and I'm sure they will do this for roughly half the cost.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 PM

116 posts, read 119,093 times
I would not tune up a car that is not out of tune. If you start getting check engine lights, go get it tuned up. If it runs fine, it is fine. Check your fuel mileage every time you fill up. That will help you get an idea of the health of the engine. Same with fluid levels.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:44 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Get the spark plugs and forget the valve adjustment. If you want to make it cheaper, then buy the spark plugs online and have the dealer install them. Thats what I did for my TL. I bought the NGK spark plugs on amazon and had the Acura dealer install them. It cost me about $100

Just make sure that you buy the correct spark plugs.

Last edited by ma5cmpb; 02-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-14-2017, 12:11 PM

670 posts, read 1,441,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvers2 View Post
I would not tune up a car that is not out of tune. If you start getting check engine lights, go get it tuned up. If it runs fine, it is fine. Check your fuel mileage every time you fill up. That will help you get an idea of the health of the engine. Same with fluid levels.
Worn plugs usually won't trip a CEL, and a degradation in performance can be so subtle over time that it can be hard to notice. Sure you can go longer than recommended, but there is a mileage limit attached to plugs for a reason.

Quote:
Get the spark plugs and forget the valve adjustment. If you want to make it cheaper, then buy the spark plugs online and have the dealer install them. Thats what I did for my TL. I bought the NGK spark plugs on amazon and had the Acura dealer install them. It cost me about $100
That's a heck of a deal on labor at a dealer if legit.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Worn plugs usually won't trip a CEL, and a degradation in performance can be so subtle over time that it can be hard to notice. Sure you can go longer than recommended, but there is a mileage limit attached to plugs for a reason.

That's a heck of a deal on labor at a dealer if legit.
I just checked and the price was $112 (hour of labor). I bought the spark plugs separately on amazon for $35.

https://www.amazon.com/NGK-IZFR6K-11...gk+spark+plugs

Park Acura does install parts that you bring in. I had them install spark plugs, a aisin timing belt kit, and I always buy and bring in my own oil (Pennzoil Platinum) and they put it in. They only charge labor.

Last edited by ma5cmpb; 02-14-2017 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura