U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:53 PM

5,012 posts, read 5,897,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Bigger wheels = less sidewall, which usually means a harsher ride and more road noise.
Honda made some suspension tweaks to the '16 models. The ride with these 19's is actually smoother and quieter than the ride in my precious '14 civic ex with 16" wheels and taller sidewall tire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 03:22 PM

2,780 posts, read 1,757,218 times
the vibration in these cars is a dealbreaker for me

Old 08-25-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
the vibration in these cars is a dealbreaker for me
Vibration? I know the CRV's had this issue but I have heard nothing of the accords suffering from vibration issues nor have I experienced it myself.

Last edited by louie0406; 08-25-2016 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 PM

597 posts, read 396,964 times
Quote:
I still can't understand why Honda doesn't offer XM radio as standard equipment. You shouldn't have to get a top of the line trim level to get that.
Completely agree. Don't they get some sort of kickback from XM/Sirius for every car buyer who continues past the free subscription? Even if they don't, what does it cost them to add it? It's a really horrible oversight.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Completely agree. Don't they get some sort of kickback from XM/Sirius for every car buyer who continues past the free subscription? Even if they don't, what does it cost them to add it? It's a really horrible oversight.
I agree as well. While I love my Accord, there are some area's where Honda skimped out on where it didnt need to. For example, why no push button start on lx and sport models? Nissan offers it on even the cheapest Sentra. I drive a 2016 and have a physical key as if its the mid 90's. Not acceptable.

No satellite radio. WHY?

LX and Sport models come with the worst sound system I have ever heard in a vehicle. Sounds like a cheap boom box radio from walmart when cranked up. My brother in law has a 2015 Altima and the factory sound system in that car is WAY better than my Accord.

Why no button on the trunk to open trunk on lx and sport models? Even my previous 2014 Civic had this feature.

Why no real lane assist feature? Honda's lane watch is quite pointless if you ask me. If you have to take your eyes off of the road and mirrors to glance at a screen when switching lanes, then its kind of counter productive. Give me a simple light indicator on my side mirrors if there's a car aside of me or in my blind spot. I can notice it without taking my eyes off of the road or mirrors when switching lanes.

Steering wheel is too big in my opinion. Hard to find a comfortable seating position where you can also get a complete view of the gauges without the top of the steering wheel blocking your view. What's the upside to a large steering wheel? I just dont get it.

Where it does shine compared to its rivals is in its refinement. Drive an Accord and an Altima back to back and you'll see what I mean. The engine/tranny on the Altima is just unpleasant. Lots of droning. My wife drives a Nissan Rogue and during the winter months, it sounds like a diesel when first taking off in the morning. The Accord on the other hand is smooth and refined. Most people won't even know there's a cvt in there. Even when pushed hard there's a nice growl rather than some harsh cvt drone like in the Altima.

Last edited by louie0406; 08-26-2016 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I agree as well. While I love my Accord, there are some area's where Honda skimped out on where it didnt need to. For example, why no push button start on lx and sport models? Nissan offers it on even the cheapest Sentra. I drive a 2016 and have a physical key as if its the mid 90's. Not acceptable.

No satellite radio. WHY?

LX and Sport models come with the worst sound system I have ever heard in a vehicle. Sounds like a cheap boom box radio from walmart when cranked up. My brother in law has a 2015 Altima and the factory sound system in that car is WAY better than my Accord.

Why no button on the trunk to open trunk on lx and sport models? Even my previous 2014 Civic had this feature.

Why no real lane assist feature? Honda's lane watch is quite pointless if you ask me. If you have to take your eyes off of the road and mirrors to glance at a screen when switching lanes, then its kind of counter productive. Give me a simple light indicator on my side mirrors if there's a car aside of me or in my blind spot. I can notice it without taking my eyes off of the road or mirrors when switching lanes.

Steering wheel is too big in my opinion. Hard to find a comfortable seating position where you can also get a complete view of the gauges without the top of the steering wheel blocking your view. What's the upside to a large steering wheel? I just dont get it.

Where it does shine compared to its rivals is in its refinement. Drive an Accord and an Altima back to back and you'll see what I mean. The engine/tranny on the Altima is just unpleasant. Lots of droning. My wife drives a Nissan Rogue and during the winter months, it sounds like a diesel when first taking off in the morning. The Accord on the other hand is smooth and refined. Most people won't even know there's a cvt in there. Even when pushed hard there's a nice growl rather than some harsh cvt drone like in the Altima.
That surprises me. My 2003 Accord had a great sounding sounds system. After a long time (about 11 years, 160,000 miles), I got an aftermarket stereo with USB, auxiliary jack, etc. But, the speakers still sounded great. That's pretty important to me. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
That surprises me. My 2003 Accord had a great sounding sounds system. After a long time (about 11 years, 160,000 miles), I got an aftermarket stereo with USB, auxiliary jack, etc. But, the speakers still sounded great. That's pretty important to me. Thanks for the info.
Yeah well if a better quality sound system, keyless push button start and a sunroof are important to you then you may need to go one step further and look into the EX. It comes with a 6 speaker sound system and even that one is nothing to brag about from what I hear. The main difference between the ex and lx/sport is the tweeters on the pillars. Still you can probably get a great deal on a 2016 EX model as part of their summer clearance event. I wouldn't even suggest trying to upgrade the sound system on the lx or sport. I'm part of a forum (driveaccord.net) and I've heard nothing but nightmares about those who have tried to upgrade as everything is all tied in to the original head unit.

To bad we dont get the Canadian version of the sport here in the US. It comes fully equipped minus the V6 engine.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Yeah well if a better quality sound system, keyless push button start and a sunroof are important to you then you may need to go one step further and look into the EX. It comes with a 6 speaker sound system and even that one is nothing to brag about from what I hear. The main difference between the ex and lx/sport is the tweeters on the pillars. Still you can probably get a great deal on a 2016 EX model as part of their summer clearance event. I wouldn't even suggest trying to upgrade the sound system on the lx or sport. I'm part of a forum (driveaccord.net) and I've heard nothing but nightmares about those who have tried to upgrade as everything is all tied in to the original head unit.

To bad we dont get the Canadian version of the sport here in the US. It comes fully equipped minus the V6 engine.
Only the sound system would be important. And, I feel funny even saying "sound system" because that makes it sound like I demand the quality of an 8-speaker, subwoofer, Bose set up, when all I really need is decent speakers, even if just 4. If the current Accord even matched the factory system in my old Accord LX, I'd be happy. I have no idea how other people viewed the 2003 speakers and overall sound quality, but i thought it was pretty good.

I test drove a Sonata today, and it was very nice. Honda tomorrow.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:42 PM

907 posts, read 662,105 times
Sound system should match the one in your old Accord...problem is AM/ FM sounds horrible so make sure to test sound from another source as well...it really isn't great TBH but you can make it sound a bit better by moving the sound to the front speakers...I have also heard that Honda tweaked the CVT final drive ratio in the refreshed accords (2016 - 2017) and as such its a little more fuel efficient but not as responsive...make sure to test that off the line acceleration...they did improve interior quality on the refreshed models

I should point out that overall I do love my 2013 Accord

Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 836,794 times
Quote:
The only difference I see are the wheels, and those low profile tires will cost a small fortune to replace.
That's a misconception and it may have been true in the past.

But I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT (SUV) with 20" low-profile tires (from the factory). The tires are 245/50VR20 all-season and I just had a new set of Michelins installed back in January for under $900. The least expensive tires they have in my size are Pirellis (with no treadwear warranty) for $150 each or Nittos with a 75k treadwear warranty for $180 each.

The Accord Sport has 235/40VR19 tires. A set of very good 60k-mile Kumho tires are only $157/each, for a total of $797 installed (with new TPMS sensor kit).

The 225/45VR19 tires on the Mazda6 Touring also start at the same prices as those for the Accord Sport.

I just hope that the OEM tires last until the end of the lease on my 2015 Volvo V60 T6 AWD R-Design. The tires for it are $260/each plus tax and would cost almost $1,200 installed....not an expense I want to pay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura