Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 09:51 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,940,298 times

Advertisements

Fortunately someone alerted me this evening that both tail lights are out in my '11 CRV. I'm a non-mechanical girl, so forgive the simplicity of my q's.

I watched a YTube vid on replacing the tail light bulbs & it's so simple, all I'd need to buy are 2 screwdrivers (flat head & Phillips) & bulbs, rather than bring it into a mechanic. But, do I check the fuses first? I'm assuming it's unlikely both bulbs blew at once, so it probably is the fuse/s?

This all happened this evening, so I don't have my owner's manual, but will dig it out from the car tomorrow to locate the fuse box & search for another YTube vid on how to do it, so I don't do something wrong.

Also, should I be unable to figure it out or neither replacing fuses or bulbs works, am I best to bring it to a Honda dealer or garage? I'm on the road in Palm Springs & will be here for another week or so, so will just have to find someone on Yelp or by googling the nearest car repair.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,636,826 times
call a Honda dealer near you and maybe tell them what happened. Doesn't seem it should cost much at all- also maybe try an auto part store for help. They might do it for you also

Old 12-08-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
call a Honda dealer near you and maybe tell them what happened. Doesn't seem it should cost much at all- also maybe try an auto part store for help. They might do it for you also
This was good guidance for me this am, Maggie, thank you. I first tried to look up fuses in the manual... there are 3 boxes, but I couldn't identify the fuse for the back lights, so I brought my car into the nearest Honda dealer, only because I passed it before the auto parts store & thought it would make my life easier. It's good I did.

They replaced the fuse twice, but they blew out immediately. They traced it to a short in the wires to the trailer hitch UHaul installed. He said it could have happened when taking the trailer on or off or even during my 2 cross country trips with a heavy trailer. I also had 1 bad brake pad, so they replaced 2. While there, figured I might as well add in an oil change & tire rotation, cuz my car was feeling a bit crooked when driving. Lastly, they took care of my airbag recall & replaced it.

It was the nicest dealership I've ever visited with really good customer service, not that hard sell frenetic energy I usually feel when walking into one. They dropped me off at Whole Foods so I could eat & wander around & the 4-hrs flew by. Reasonable costs, too. So, all in all, it was better to let the experts handle it, rather than trying to save a few bucks.

Thanks again, Maggie.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,934,881 times
If you are able to, I would take the receipt back to where you had the UHaul hitch installed and have them reimburse you for the damage they caused. Of course, this depends on how long ago that was and if you are even still near them.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
This was good guidance for me this am, Maggie, thank you. I first tried to look up fuses in the manual... there are 3 boxes, but I couldn't identify the fuse for the back lights, so I brought my car into the nearest Honda dealer, only because I passed it before the auto parts store & thought it would make my life easier. It's good I did.

They replaced the fuse twice, but they blew out immediately. They traced it to a short in the wires to the trailer hitch UHaul installed. He said it could have happened when taking the trailer on or off or even during my 2 cross country trips with a heavy trailer. I also had 1 bad brake pad, so they replaced 2. While there, figured I might as well add in an oil change & tire rotation, cuz my car was feeling a bit crooked when driving. Lastly, they took care of my airbag recall & replaced it.

It was the nicest dealership I've ever visited with really good customer service, not that hard sell frenetic energy I usually feel when walking into one. They dropped me off at Whole Foods so I could eat & wander around & the 4-hrs flew by. Reasonable costs, too. So, all in all, it was better to let the experts handle it, rather than trying to save a few bucks.

Thanks again, Maggie.
glad it worked out for you and solved the issue. I have had Hondas since 1980 and found most Honda dealers are great. Also glad you got the airbag done I also had my 2002 air bags done at Honda.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If you are able to, I would take the receipt back to where you had the UHaul hitch installed and have them reimburse you for the damage they caused. Of course, this depends on how long ago that was and if you are even still near them.
Thanks HTD. 2012, 3K-mi away. I'd bet the disconnect happened on one of my cross country trips. I've had the chains from the trailer break before & I've watched UHaul connect & disconnect & they always seem to be fairly careful. OTOH, pounding around through potholes, uneven roads & over speed bumps takes a toll on my head & tooth fillings... I can imagine how the poor car feels.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
glad it worked out for you and solved the issue. I have had Hondas since 1980 and found most Honda dealers are great. Also glad you got the airbag done I also had my 2002 air bags done at Honda.
Thank you, Maggie. You know you're right. Now that you mention it, I have had good service at varying Honda dealerships across the country & at least at this location, my oil change was no more expensive than Jiffy Lube. Being comfortable dealing with other dealerships was not the case with other car makes I've had. Coincidence perhaps, but nonetheless, it's a reality.

I had no idea the airbag recall went all the way back to '02! Kind of angers me that people were traipsing about with a potentially faulty bag for, in your case, 14-yrs. Glad we both have that behind us.

I like Honda, too. My basic SUV isn't a head turner (to me it screams, "Hey, look, I'm middle-aged!"... I am, but I don't wish to scream it), but since 2 siblings have had them for decades, I wanted to up my chances of something reliable & say goodby Fiat, VW, Buick & the many other brand new lemons I've had the displeasure of owning. Up until the Honda, I preferred my subway pass.

Cheers, again, Maggie.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:04 PM

2,129 posts, read 3,554,990 times
Quote:
Fortunately someone alerted me this evening that both tail lights are out in my '11 CRV. I'm a non-mechanical girl, so forgive the simplicity of my q's.

I watched a YTube vid on replacing the tail light bulbs & it's so simple, all I'd need to buy are 2 screwdrivers (flat head & Phillips) & bulbs, rather than bring it into a mechanic. But, do I check the fuses first? I'm assuming it's unlikely both bulbs blew at once, so it probably is the fuse/s?

This all happened this evening, so I don't have my owner's manual, but will dig it out from the car tomorrow to locate the fuse box & search for another YTube vid on how to do it, so I don't do something wrong.

Also, should I be unable to figure it out or neither replacing fuses or bulbs works, am I best to bring it to a Honda dealer or garage? I'm on the road in Palm Springs & will be here for another week or so, so will just have to find someone on Yelp or by googling the nearest car repair.

Thank you so much!
It is very rare for a fuse to fail simply because it was old and tired -- there is usually some underlying cause and the fuse will blow again. It is more common than you might think for one taillight or brake light to burn out and not be noticed immediately and then the other bulb burns out.

Don in Austin

Old 02-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
It is very rare for a fuse to fail simply because it was old and tired -- there is usually some underlying cause and the fuse will blow again. It is more common than you might think for one taillight or brake light to burn out and not be noticed immediately and then the other bulb burns out.

Don in Austin
Thank you for your post, Don. Perhaps you didn't see it... I updated to say that fortunately, it has been taken care of by the dealer... faulty wiring due to the UHaul tow hardware, probably disconnected when trailers were installed or disconnected during my 3 times towing long distances.

Now that they figured it out & fixed it (look back to my last post, cuz I don't remember details), my cruise control now works, as well, as does the light flickering thing when I click on my remote.

It's all good now.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Maggie. You know you're right. Now that you mention it, I have had good service at varying Honda dealerships across the country & at least at this location, my oil change was no more expensive than Jiffy Lube. Being comfortable dealing with other dealerships was not the case with other car makes I've had. Coincidence perhaps, but nonetheless, it's a reality.

I had no idea the airbag recall went all the way back to '02! Kind of angers me that people were traipsing about with a potentially faulty bag for, in your case, 14-yrs. Glad we both have that behind us.

I like Honda, too. My basic SUV isn't a head turner (to me it screams, "Hey, look, I'm middle-aged!"... I am, but I don't wish to scream it), but since 2 siblings have had them for decades, I wanted to up my chances of something reliable & say goodby Fiat, VW, Buick & the many other brand new lemons I've had the displeasure of owning. Up until the Honda, I preferred my subway pass.

Cheers, again, Maggie.
speaking of the Honda my crv did need gas so I got some. Silly me did not click the cap but should know code 1456. anyway saw the yellow light Honda turned it off no charge. Wow some dealers charge 100.00 to look. the auto places may read the code but does it help only for a gas cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura