Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:32 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times

Advertisements

I saw Doug's review, and found it very informative.

I like Hondas, and am not worried about it being a fraction of a second slower in 0-60 time, nor am I concerned about it being fwd rather than 4wd. It's the awful looks and the fact that it has a turbo that put me off.

What I'd really like is an updated version of my 2003 Si. Just get as much as you can get from an unblown 2-liter twincam and put it in a clean hatchback body with a 6-speed driving the front wheels and I'll be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:02 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
I've accepted that japanese cars are not well styled and this Civic follows proudly in that traditionally unfortunate look and perhaps kicked it up a notch or two. That being said, like the OP, I'm capable of putting that aside if the other virtues that I want are all present. The fact that it's slower at launch than 4wd competitors is not a big deal for me because it does have a power to weight advantage over all but the Focus RS 2.3. My desire is an agile tossable fun to drive car and that seems to be its strongest point besides the expected Honda virtues of reliability and practicality.

One thing that I wouldn't do is pay over msrp.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:17 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post

I've seen online some dealerships getting crazy with some stupid markup, but I talked with my local Honda dealership and they are selling them at MSRP with not so much as a document fee. Now, if you haven't put down a deposit, the wait (from what they told me) is about 18 months out.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I've seen online some dealerships getting crazy with some stupid markup, but I talked with my local Honda dealership and they are selling them at MSRP with not so much as a document fee. Now, if you haven't put down a deposit, the wait (from what they told me) is about 18 months out.
Okay not waiting 18 months or paying over msrp....if I drove one and liked it and could pay msrp and get it within a month or two, I would.

I've been in Kuwait and come back to the USA in September so I have the cash to buy whatever I want. I have a down payment on a BMW M2 but thinking of the Camaro SS 1LE instead and would consider the Civic R if I liked it enough.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:36 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Get a '17 V6 Accord coupe manual. Looks much nicer and its v6 hp specs are a bit underrated. Rumor has it that it actually puts out about 300hp.
That might be true for the '17, but definitely not true for the '11, which is rated at about the same HP (270).

Old 07-31-2017, 09:23 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I've accepted that japanese cars are not well styled and this Civic follows proudly in that traditionally unfortunate look and perhaps kicked it up a notch or two. That being said, like the OP, I'm capable of putting that aside if the other virtues that I want are all present. The fact that it's slower at launch than 4wd competitors is not a big deal for me because it does have a power to weight advantage over all but the Focus RS 2.3. My desire is an agile tossable fun to drive car and that seems to be its strongest point besides the expected Honda virtues of reliability and practicality.

Styling, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Personally, I like Honda's styling. I'm sure many will call me prejudice since I worked for Honda almost 30 years,and I agree they are not the style leader of years ago. But I like the Accord a lot.

I'm starting to question the decision of Honda to bring the bulk of their new model design to the U.S. from Japan several years ago. The argument back then was that Japanese design engineers were out of touch with the U.S. customer base. Apparently not as much as was thought.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Definitely an acquired taste. I could look past the front end but the rear end of the Type R kills it for me.
Way too Transformer-like. If only it looked more like the regular Civic with a subtle spoiler, I would have definitely consider it.

Low production works for Honda as well as dealers, not that many people buy them but those who buy them will be solid buyers so limited production is safer. Allows for greedy dealers to mark them up, too.
Less cars also makes the buyers like it more because it means there are less cars out there like theirs.

If only Honda would come up with a sup'ed up, gas-online version of CR-Z in the US!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Definitely an acquired taste. I could look past the front end but the rear end of the Type R kills it for me.
Way too Transformer-like. If only it looked more like the regular Civic with a subtle spoiler, I would have definitely consider it.

Low production works for Honda as well as dealers, not that many people buy them but those who buy them will be solid buyers so limited production is safer. Allows for greedy dealers to mark them up, too.
Less cars also makes the buyers like it more because it means there are less cars out there like theirs.

If only Honda would come up with a sup'ed up, gas-online version of CR-Z in the US!
I know a LOT of people who were really excited when the CRZ was initially brought to light and every one of them turned their back on it when it was given that crappy hybrid motor. It looks (and still looks) fantastic, but the performance is nil. This is why you can find them royally cheap on the used market right now. It is an impractical vehicle that isn't much fun to drive.

As for the CTR, I know there are dealerships marking it up like crazy, but I really think that was just a publicity stunt. I know of other Honda dealerships that are selling them at MSRP and not a penny more. Heck, my local Honda dealership doesn't even charge any document fees. So, you pay MSRP plus tax and that is it. Of course, with the CTR, you are put on a waiting list and last time I chatted with them, the list was a year out.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:07 AM

4,845 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Civic forums are still reporting dealers wanting crazy ADM. Very few are selling at MSRP, and some of those are still tacking on the 'mandatory' dealer installed crap to make up for it. Which is better than MSRP + ADM + the 'mandatory' dealer installed crap... but still riling up a bunch of Honda the faithful.

The '17 Si is my first Honda, and I'm quite happy with it. Unless I was wanting to track it, there's no way I'd pay that much more for the TypeR. If money was no object and I had to have the R just for bragging rights, the very first thing I'd do is find something to replace that ridiculous wing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura