Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Front wheel drive (or all wheel) will do ok, but don't attempt it in a rear wheel drive! Even with the FWD, put some extra weight in the trunk! As long as it's just snow and not ice, you should do ok!
The problem is the other driver's who don't know what the hell they're doing and run into you!

I am puzzled by this. What advantage is there to putting weight in the trunk of a FWD vehicle? It seems like that would possibly decrease performance in snow and ice rather than improve it. All you are doing is adding weight over the wheels that get dragged along. How does weight there provide any benefit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 PM

780 posts, read 2,925,306 times
zombie thread ...

Old 11-04-2011, 07:49 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
This made me laugh! Yup, raised from the dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
zombie thread ...

Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,041 times
Default Do you use special tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popnfresh100 View Post
I live in Chicago and drive a 2008 Honda Fit manual, this winter has been pretty bad by Chicago standards. I've driven through some pretty bad snow storms (also rain storms and flooding) and iced over highways that forced a lot of people off the street. The Fit had no problems in these conditions, other than the tire pressure indicator has a tendency to go off when its cold even though the tire pressure is fine. My only real complaint with the fit is that when driving on highways at any time the Fit is a very bumpy ride.
Hey,

I just moved to New England, Rhode Island specifically, and I also drive a 2008 Honda Fit manual. I have never driven in the snow and am not looking forward to it, do you buy special tires? If so, what kind and how many?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
naw, they did the right thing they found an existing thread and built off of it, utilizing the info it all ready holds, this helps stop duplicate threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
zombie thread ...

Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefriedman View Post
Hey,

I just moved to New England, Rhode Island specifically, and I also drive a 2008 Honda Fit manual. I have never driven in the snow and am not looking forward to it, do you buy special tires? If so, what kind and how many?
If its less than 5 or so inches of snow, I bet most FWD cars will be fine. Anymore snow and a lot of cars will run into clearance problems and you may start getting stuck in odd spots. I've never had snow tires mostly cause I'm too cheap, and I've always been able to either walk to work or borrow someone's 4wd vehicle when its snow big, lol

If you'll be driving on roads that don't get plowed often or are some type of emergency essential employee (nurse, doctor, military etc), I'd probably look into getting something with more clearance as a replacement or a second vehicle.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 AM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am puzzled by this. What advantage is there to putting weight in the trunk of a FWD vehicle? It seems like that would possibly decrease performance in snow and ice rather than improve it. All you are doing is adding weight over the wheels that get dragged along. How does weight there provide any benefit?

I have found that putting some weight in the trunk of a FWD car helps if you (as I did) have problems with the rear wheels locking up (on older cars) or ABS kicking in (on newer) when roads are slippery, or especially if sand covered from previous ice/snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura