U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:35 PM

18,036 posts, read 19,798,865 times

Advertisements

Way too expensive a quote. Shouldn’t be anything more than maybe $700

The most I ever paid for a complete compressor and clutch replacement was a low of $350 and a high of $550. This included labor and recharge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 01:09 AM

6,548 posts, read 3,688,625 times
Odd...I had a Honda Accord hatchback back in the day. It was great for years, until finally the a/c compressor went out. So I traded it for a new car, since it was getting old, and I wanted an SUV to get a cargo area, anyway.

If I remember right, someone told me that that particular brand of compressor wasn't particularly good. A Japanese compressor, some off brand I guess?

But something is going to go wrong with all cars. Two years is way too soon for something like that to happen.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:19 AM

5,352 posts, read 5,550,135 times
My little AC story.

My AC quit on my 15 year old Chevrolet truck. Few/many years ago. Attempting to be smart I took the truck to a large dedicated shop that just does AC. Expecting a diagnosis. Such as a leak in a hose or something.

Service manager came over and stated that they could replace my entire system that day for $1,200 (a lot in those days).

I decided to get a 2nd opinion. I went to a smaller shop to get another opinion. This time the guy actually diagnosed the issue. My AC system was fine except one valve in the whole circulation system was stuck in the closed position. So for $125.00 the valve was replaced and AC worked fine for many more years.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:05 AM

77,701 posts, read 33,119,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
OP, this is not aimed at you personally but is a general comment... I never understand why people don't just google parts for their cars...

In general, once you have the car part price you know if you are being ripped off or not. Someone else above suggested a brand specific forum. That is good, there you will also get an idea how much labor is involved so that you can (a) do it yourself, or (b) again know how much time it should take to get the job done.

Once you have the price for parts and the amount of time required, ask your mechanic what his labor rate is.

From there, you can double the price given on the forums for an independent mechanic to do the job, or triple it for a dealership to get the very maximum it should cost to get the job done.
Most of the threads on here are totally made up scenario's so suggesting a common sense approach will do no good.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:35 AM

10,094 posts, read 12,130,442 times
This thread should be closed, everyone on here banned for blasphemy! Everyone knows Honda's never break down, they are the best, they run forever and the AC is so strong it can reverse global warming by just leaving the windows down for an hour.

It was mentioned a few times, I would reach out to Honda corporate and tell them how you love their product but was very disappointed that your 2016 car already needs a compressor. You can start at the dealer level (service dept manager) but since his job is to upsell then you will probably have to go over his head to get anything comp'd.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 AM

17,632 posts, read 11,046,543 times
That quote you are getting is ridiculous. I looked on Advance Auto.com. and they get $336 for a compressor with clutch. The system will need flushed because probably some debris got in there, and a few other parts, like an orifice, and new freon, but labor should never be in the neighborhood of $1500 to $2000 for this job.

Call around, especially some independent shops. While 42K isn't old, it isn't exactly brand new either, and parts do fail, even on terrific cars like Hondas.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:41 AM

19,416 posts, read 17,644,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
My little AC story.

My AC quit on my 15 year old Chevrolet truck. Few/many years ago. Attempting to be smart I took the truck to a large dedicated shop that just does AC. Expecting a diagnosis. Such as a leak in a hose or something.

Service manager came over and stated that they could replace my entire system that day for $1,200 (a lot in those days).

I decided to get a 2nd opinion. I went to a smaller shop to get another opinion. This time the guy actually diagnosed the issue. My AC system was fine except one valve in the whole circulation system was stuck in the closed position. So for $125.00 the valve was replaced and AC worked fine for many more years.
Had that happen on my 4Runner. Exact same diagnosis and exact same repair by different shop to get it working again.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 1,035 times
Thanks everyone for your prompt response. I filed a complaint with honda but there was no proper response.

I needed my car soon as it was getting difficult going to office in summer. I made a big mistake of getting a phone quote(1400$) and leaving it to a local mechanic. I got the quote to replace entire compressor which includes clutch and coil. When I left the car and came back they told me that the quote they gave is only to replace clutch and coil and not compressor, by this time he already removed the parts and asking 1200$ just to put it back and give to me. Now he quoted 2000$ to replace the compressor and I was kind of locked with them. Honda also delayed getting back to me. I ended up paying 2000$ to the mechanic.

Now Honda came back after all this and telling that they could have helped if I fixed with the dealer. I made biggest mistake and I lost my peace of mind. I appreciate all the responses here.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:41 PM

2,180 posts, read 909,730 times
Iím retired Honda so I no longer have access to the resources I used to have, but in the future if you ever have a similar problem hereís what you do: always, and I mean always, take your vehicle to the dealer first. Have them examine it and get a detailed assessment and quote from them. Your next step is to contact American Honda. Sorry, but I no longer have the phone numbers I used to have but Google is your friend. American Honda is the sales and service arm of Honda U.S. Having them in your corner when dealing with a service manager at your dealership is invaluable. AH does NOT want an unhappy customer, especially one who lets them know that they are detailing the story on a site like this.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 1,035 times
Thanks Ron. I agree, lesson learned but it was too late now. I bought Honda for its reliability, I know some of my friends driving around 100K with no major issues.

I forgot to mention that case is still open with Honda and they may be able to help. I got my original compressor back from mechanic, If there is a way to send this to honda for diagnosis and prove that it was a failed product that i received, maybe Honda can help me out.

For anyone with similar issue , as Ron said after checking with dealership always reach out to Honda customer care number and seek for assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or