U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 PM

14,476 posts, read 9,563,489 times

Advertisements

Just saw the new Ridgeline. Size wise it is perfect. It's similar to the Dakota I used to own but....it's a Honda. I just can't take it seriously. Judging by sales, I am not alone. The Honda brand is the gold standard but apparently, that hasn't helped their sole truck line. Stylistically, the first gen looked much more masculine and purposeful. This one looks a lot like the front end of the Pathfinder/Frontier. I doubt they sell more than 50,000 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 07:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,072,856 times
I think it'll do well in terms of sales. It consistently gets good reviews and is (somewhat objectively) a good, convenient vehicle.

Will it be accepted as a legitimate pickup? I don't think so. Even the much more brawny Chevy Avalanche wasn't considered a legit pickup in comparisons and reviews.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,320 posts, read 39,584,036 times
Will the Ridgeline ever be accepted as a pickup?

Seriously?

Take it to the rock quarry and dump a load of rock in her... then she is a pickup...

I so want to see a commercial where they LOAD these 'pretend' pickups. with 10 yrs of ROCK!
https://www.google.com/search?q=quar...HZLhDsoQsAQIKA

Old 07-23-2018, 09:25 PM

3,870 posts, read 2,478,908 times
El Caminos and Rancheros were popular

Old 07-23-2018, 09:29 PM

11,678 posts, read 6,982,318 times
They made them kinda ugly. Looks like a truck for butch women if I’m honest.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,862,125 times
As long as the Ridgeline is a unibody, it's not a serious truck. Ford made the F100 years back as a unibody and are collectors today. But not many survived as the unibody couldn't stand up to "truck" use. Yeah, you have the old Rancheros but they also came with an available V8, even some were performance trucks. Any Honda with a turbo on it isn't going to make the Ridgeline a performance truck. It's nothing but an open air trunk car with a small interior. It's great for grocery gettin' but that's about it. Now if you want to talk about the bloated pigs we're buying today as full size trucks.....

Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 PM

14,476 posts, read 9,563,489 times
Outside the Big 3, only the Tundra is a serious contender. Titan has the specs but somehow can't make it.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:39 PM

3,557 posts, read 5,685,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Just saw the new Ridgeline. Size wise it is perfect. It's similar to the Dakota I used to own but....it's a Honda. I just can't take it seriously. Judging by sales, I am not alone. The Honda brand is the gold standard but apparently, that hasn't helped their sole truck line. Stylistically, the first gen looked much more masculine and purposeful. This one looks a lot like the front end of the Pathfinder/Frontier. I doubt they sell more than 50,000 a year.
Agree the size is perfect.

The payload capacity is also impressive.

It has a lot of useful nifty features.

Agree it looks too much like a car from the front for the market they are targeting.

My prediction is it's not going to pull big numbers as a new vehicle but will be highly sought after as used once they eventually end production.

My gripe with it is the price at the higher trim levels. I bet the thing is great for what it is but there is just a lot of other vehicles to choose from at around 40k.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 AM

5,531 posts, read 3,883,466 times
One of the problems with the Ridgeline being accepted as a legitimate truck is its perceived "toughness". Ford, Chevy, and Dodge ("Detroit 3") trucks have built a reputation as far back as the 1950s as being tough and brawny. Much of that is the look; the Detroit 3 trucks have a "stronger", more utilitarian look, while the Ridgeline looks more like a car.

Also the Detroit 3 trucks are body-on-frame, following the ideals that trucks have been built on for decades. Ridgeline is a unibody.

Detroit 3 trucks are available in literally hundreds of configurations, from regular cab work trucks to crew cab luxury trucks, 2WD or 4WD, with a choice of engines. They also have heavy duty variants available. The Ridgeline has one engine, one body style (crew cab), and only had 4WD until 2017, when they finally offered 2WD.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:53 AM

599 posts, read 282,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
One of the problems with the Ridgeline being accepted as a legitimate truck is its perceived "toughness". Ford, Chevy, and Dodge ("Detroit 3") trucks have built a reputation as far back as the 1950s as being tough and brawny. Much of that is the look; the Detroit 3 trucks have a "stronger", more utilitarian look, while the Ridgeline looks more like a car.

Also the Detroit 3 trucks are body-on-frame, following the ideals that trucks have been built on for decades. Ridgeline is a unibody.

Detroit 3 trucks are available in literally hundreds of configurations, from regular cab work trucks to crew cab luxury trucks, 2WD or 4WD, with a choice of engines. They also have heavy duty variants available. The Ridgeline has one engine, one body style (crew cab), and only had 4WD until 2017, when they finally offered 2WD.
Also the 2wd Ridgeline is FWD unlike the RWD Detroit and Toyota/Nissan trucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura