U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:03 PM

5,293 posts, read 5,434,087 times

Advertisements

Did someone mention an interference engine?

Good Lord. Keep on top of this procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 12:14 PM

1,736 posts, read 718,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
My wife has a 2011 Honda Pilot. It has about 85k miles on it.
Dealership said itís almost time to change the timing belt/water pump.
They want $1195 However, my office has a shop we bring all our cars too. They will do it for $895 (Honda parts)
Question is, when do I get this done? 100k miles, next year? Now?

Thanks!
Well you need to know if it is interference or non interference. If the former and the belt breaks good bye engine. If the later and it breaks you will just have a dead car needing towing and having the belt replaced. Looking at your 2011 Honda Pilot and some reports, get it replaced now.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:51 PM

17,767 posts, read 19,408,430 times
Quote:
They want $1195 However, my office has a shop we bring all our cars too. They will do it for $895 (Honda parts)

Thanks!
Wait till you hit 100k or close.

Go to a indi shop. Most good shops can handle a timing belt.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM

4,025 posts, read 2,175,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Well you need to know if it is interference or non interference. If the former and the belt breaks good bye engine. If the later and it breaks you will just have a dead car needing towing and having the belt replaced. Looking at your 2011 Honda Pilot and some reports, get it replaced now.
The 3.5 liter in the Pilot is an interference engine.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 PM

1,438 posts, read 922,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I believe all Hondas are interference engines.

Regarding timing belt/timing chain questions. it appears depending upon where you look, the Pilot has had both installed depending upon the year and motor.

I would check with your dealer or independent shop as to your model year containing belt or chain.
Was on my Honda (CRX ... early '90s). Makes a nasty sound when the timing belt breaks and pistions slam into valves and the camshaft is damaged. This was on the way home from the shop, who had just .... you guessed it .... replaced my timing belt.

2011 Honda Pilot Manual:
Owner's Manual | 2011 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners Site

Old 01-03-2019, 07:24 PM

6,815 posts, read 9,118,719 times
^^^^
I had a 91 Honda CRX. Belt broke on I-75 at only 76,000 miles. I was told it had an interference engine. Rather then paying $650 [at the time] to be told there was major damage, I paid $82 for a belt, water pump, tension wheel and replaced parts myself. Engine started with no problem. Either I was very lucky or 'interference' is B.S. Added many thousands of miles.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:47 PM

17,445 posts, read 10,849,021 times
Quote:

Thanks!

I am not a Honda expert, but if that engine is an interference fit engine, you do not want the belt to break. Pistons try to occupy the same spot as some of the valves, and the damage is EXPENSIVE to repair.

Years ago, I killed a perfectly good Honda Accord because I neglected to change the timing belt. Driving along one day, and POW !, I heard this explosion under the hood and the engine died. Belt had broken, and the engine, which had been fine up to that point, was now toast, or at least needed some costly repairs.

So, my suggestion is, get it done now, you are living on borrowed time.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 PM

825 posts, read 632,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I also have a Pilot. The interval is 7 yrs/105k miles. You want to find out exactly what they will be replacing for that price. What should be replaced:

- Timing belt
- Serpentine belt & tensioner
- Water pump & coolant
- Hydraulic tensioner & bolts (new bolts are very important since reusing them is known to cause failure on these cars)
- Idler
- Spark plugs
- Any leaking seals

I wouldn't trust anything but Honda, Aisin & NGK parts.

+1

You know there is a Honda pilot forum ...

2011 timing belt replacement https://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40850

Old 01-03-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Was on my Honda (CRX ... early '90s). Makes a nasty sound when the timing belt breaks and pistions slam into valves and the camshaft is damaged. This was on the way home from the shop, who had just .... you guessed it .... replaced my timing belt.

2011 Honda Pilot Manual:
Owner's Manual | 2011 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners Site
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
^^^^
I had a 91 Honda CRX. Belt broke on I-75 at only 76,000 miles. I was told it had an interference engine. Rather then paying $650 [at the time] to be told there was major damage, I paid $82 for a belt, water pump, tension wheel and replaced parts myself. Engine started with no problem. Either I was very lucky or 'interference' is B.S. Added many thousands of miles.
Mine was an '88 CRX-SI, had a handful of bent valves and the camshaft pulley was sheered off. As I recall, something about requiring that the engine be cold when setting the timing after the belt is changed was required for that engine (common practice, I was later told by a Honda mechanic, was to let the car sit overnight before setting the timing).

Not sure if true, but matches one condition as this mechanic had it for about six hours total from drop off to ill-fated drive home.

Seriously fun car to drive.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Mine was an '88 CRX-SI, had a handful of bent valves and the camshaft pulley was sheered off. As I recall, something about requiring that the engine be cold when setting the timing after the belt is changed was required for that engine (common practice, I was later told by a Honda mechanic, was to let the car sit overnight before setting the timing).

Not sure if true, but matches one condition as this mechanic had it for about six hours total from drop off to ill-fated drive home.

Seriously fun car to drive.
My mistake. My CRX-Si was an Ď86. I think the Ď88s had the additional clear window on the vertical surface of the hatch, providing even more visabilty of what was behind you. Mine had the hatch window and solid trame around it with the bottom of the hatch all solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or