Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM

96 posts, read 227,157 times

Advertisements

So last week I'm driving down a well-traveled highway in a 2010 Honda Odyssey. Borrowed, not my car.

As I pulled onto an exit ramp that connects the highway with another route, there was suddenly a loud, jarring impact as though I had run over something big. But I hadn't - I had glanced down and ahead at the road surface right before the impact happened, and the lane was clear of obstacles, pot holes, etc. I did notice a strip of pavement running across the lane from one side to the other, that was a different color and texture than the rest of the surface, but it was smooth pavement, no holes or gaps.

After the impact, the car tried to skitter sideways, and I had to really steer to keep it in the lane. When it was straightened out I looked in the rearview, and the cars behind me were all moving sedately along - no zigzagging as would happen if they were trying to avoid something in the road, no hard steering as though they'd experienced the kind of impact I had.

I was about a mile and a half from home at this point. For the rest of the trip it seemed that the Odyssey was steering harder and riding rougher than normal, but this was my first time driving it (although I've been a passenger in it a lot of times), and I convinced myself that I was imagining the problems because I was a little shaken up.

But the next time I drove it, it rattled and shook over every little bump, and on the highway at higher speed it rocked, wallowed, and pulled to the side so much that I could barely keep it in a lane. I got off at the first exit and drove home slowly on surface roads.

What I'd like to know is, what caused that "impact" on the exit ramp? I'm virtually positive I didn't hit or run over anything. If I'd been driving on an open road, I would suspect I'd hit an animal that was trying to get across and ran under my tires. But this was on an exit ramp that's part of a huge stack of overpasses, underpasses, and entrance and exit ramp interchanges (known locally as the Mixmaster), and an animal would have had to do some very fancy stepping across four or five lanes of busy highway traffic from either side even to get to it. I've been on that ramp thousands of times, and never seen an animal there, or one that had been hit.

Also, if I'd hit an animal hard enough to cause the kind of impact I experienced, I don't think it would have gone anywhere afterward - it would have been lying in the road, and cars behind me would have been steering to avoid it, or slowing down to rubberneck - which they weren't.

So what created that impact? I know almost nothing about the inner working of cars, but I'm wondering if it could be that something let go in the Odyssey's suspension, dropping part of the vehicle's weight onto the surviving support members.

I'd like to get some idea of the possibilities of what went wrong, before I bring it to the garage. If anyone has had a similar driving experience, or any ideas about what could cause a vehicle to do that, I'll be grateful to hear them!
Thanks!
Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:04 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Sounds like you broke something with the steering linkage. That might have made the sound you heard and caused the hard to steer situation. Get it up on a lift and look.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Yes, something in the suspension, steering or possibly motor/trans mount gave out.

It needs to be looked at by a pro before driving any further.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Sounds like you broke something with the steering linkage. That might have made the sound you heard and caused the hard to steer situation. Get it up on a lift and look.
Goodness gracious, SVT - "Get it up on a lift and look"??? I apologize that my post must have made me sound way, way more competent and ready-for-anything than I actually am.

I'm a 68 year old female with fairly typical abilities, demographically speaking. I'm sure there are some amazing old mommas out there who could sling a car up on a lift and know what they were looking at, but sorry to say, I'm not one of them.

Thanks for the idea about the steering linkage, though - that hadn't occurred to me. After the impact incident, I drove it maybe ten miles more - if there was a break in the linkage, would it have been driveable that much farther?
Carol

Old 01-09-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, something in the suspension, steering or possibly motor/trans mount gave out.

It needs to be looked at by a pro before driving any further.
Thanks, Quietude - that confirms my suspicion that I should have it towed in, not try to drive it again. I was probably real lucky that nothing worse happened when I drove it that second time.

Interesting about the motor/trans mount, which also hadn't occurred to me as a possibility

Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwashere View Post
Goodness gracious, SVT - "Get it up on a lift and look"??? I apologize that my post must have made me sound way, way more competent and ready-for-anything than I actually am.

I'm a 68 year old female with fairly typical abilities, demographically speaking. I'm sure there are some amazing old mommas out there who could sling a car up on a lift and know what they were looking at, but sorry to say, I'm not one of them.

Thanks for the idea about the steering linkage, though - that hadn't occurred to me. After the impact incident, I drove it maybe ten miles more - if there was a break in the linkage, would it have been driveable that much farther?
Carol
Maybe you didn't fully break it. Maybe it will break completely the next time you drive it causing an accident. Don't risk it.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM

505 posts, read 847,835 times
Yep, it seems like a steering/suspension component bit the dust. Definitely tow (not drive) it to a shop.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
Control arm, sway bar or some suspension part broke.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
If you run it up on curbs a few times the lower engine cover has a tendancy to break loose then fold down and even forward. At that point any kind of bump or dip can catch it and tear it off the vehicle violently, often taking the wheelwell splash guards with it. (Mine did this recently)
Would definitely create sound issues and the loose and damaged parts would interfere with steering.
I wouldnt begin to speculate what is wrong with any vehicle without getting a look-see at it. Doesnt need to go on a lift but you might get dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura