U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 01:56 PM

37 posts, read 45,533 times

Advertisements

Hi All.....

I'm interested in purchasing a new Honda Accord, but would be content with the base model (don't want to be upsold on options that I'm not interested in). The problem is that satellite radio is not offered on the LX.

Has anyone here purchased the LX trim level and installed an aftermarket satellite radio unit? How is that working out for you? It's not so much cost that I'm concerned about as having clunky accessories or wiring strewn across my dash.

Or should I just spring for the EX, which comes with satellite radio? What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 02:38 PM

5,320 posts, read 10,999,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sunshine View Post
Hi All.....

I'm interested in purchasing a new Honda Accord, but would be content with the base model (don't want to be upsold on options that I'm not interested in). The problem is that satellite radio is not offered on the LX.

Has anyone here purchased the LX trim level and installed an aftermarket satellite radio unit? How is that working out for you? It's not so much cost that I'm concerned about as having clunky accessories or wiring strewn across my dash.

Or should I just spring for the EX, which comes with satellite radio? What are your thoughts? Thanks!
I actually bought a DX model and added (on my own) all the extras I wanted.
I was never interested in a sunroof!

So today, my 13-year-old DX has all the features of a luxury version, except the sunroof.
Electric door locks, Alarm System, satellite radio with GPS, rear and side cameras, front and inside cabin dash cam. Front seat heater elements (from a damaged total loss car). Still no leather seats ... or powered rearview side mirrors.
I did have to add seat cushions for my "bad back" ...
The cost was way less because most of the 3rd party items today are very easy to install.
The reason is that the wiring harness is already set up for most add-ons.
The car came with steel rims, so I purchased (junkyard again) four fancy rims and used those for my summer tires, while I used the steel rims for my winter tires.

If you are but just a bit technically savvy, you can add a lot of stuff, for less than half the cost of custom installation while factory upgrading.

Please note that my car is now 13 years old. You do not do this when you plan on buying a new car every few years! Strangely. 13-year-old Hondas do not look much different from today's new cars ...

Just a comment or opinion from a personal view.
During upgrading to satellite radio, you have two speakers in the back, two speakers in the front doors and two small ones in the dash. I upgraded the two rear speakers to bigger ones (more wattage capability, and to be frank, I could not hear the difference). The satellite antenna was only about 1.5 inches square and was mounted on the front part of the roof right above the windshield. The height of that doohicky was only .25 inch high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or