Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:46 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
No one noticed that he had a TOGGLE switch to start the car. Wonder how many amps the switch can handle and the guage of wire to connect it. Starter needs a lot of cranking power.

1st gear to pop the clutch?... should be 3rd or maybe 2nd...not 1st.

I believe his problem is the engine not turning over fast enough to fire because it starts up on popping the clutch.

Steve
I was assuming the toggle actuated the solenoid - maybe sometimes I assume too much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 16,694 times
OK, was pushed for time, here is what happens:
When the car sits overnight, I try to start it and it turns over and over but will not start. I roll it down the driveway and pop the clutch and it starts everytime. the rest of the day it starts fine.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 AM

886 posts, read 5,715,596 times
Its worn out. Time to let it go and get another car.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:53 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
By having to use a toggle switch, it could be lots of things but a good place to start would be the main relay.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
With a bad main relay, my situation was that I had trouble starting the car when it was hot. I'm thinking a tired battery or something in the electrical system is causing a drain on the battery, so that after driving the car around during the day, the alternator has charged the battery up, hence the easy starts later on.

The toggle switch thing is due to a security system on the car?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:17 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon77 View Post
OK, was pushed for time, here is what happens:
When the car sits overnight, I try to start it and it turns over and over but will not start. I roll it down the driveway and pop the clutch and it starts everytime. the rest of the day it starts fine.
Does the battery seem weak at all? That would make sense from what you are saying here. Autozone etc. can test a battery for free.

Another possibility is a weak ignition switch, if you jiggle the key when the car is running, does this ever make it stop?

Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 16,624 times
the battery is good. i do pop the clutch in second gear now cause its easier on the jerking when the car starts

Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolla08 View Post
ok here is the problem im having

i have the described vehicle above sometimes my car starts right up. mind you i have a toggle switch to start it. but sometimes it starts right up but most of the time i have to spray starting fluid into my air intake hose. and other times if im lucky i can throw it in first gear and go down a hill and hit 15 mph and pop my clutch and it starts right up. i have a new starter on it and new spark plugs but i should not have to keep doing this what is the problem and how can i correct it/

The possibilities are almost endless and I have little specific information to go on, but I'll throw out some ideas (assuming the problem is systemic and not cylinder specific).

Leaky fuel pump check valve

Sticky exhaust valve stems (no rotation) due to a lack of high RPM operation (3k+)/high DI fuel use/worn valve seals

Late cam timing

Low dynamic compression

Intake vacuum leaks

Leaking EGR valve (if used)

IAC motor malfunction/throttle blade not closing to min TPS consistently (carbon build up, worn shaft or binding), two foot driving

Erroneous TPS, ECT, IAT (if used)

Knock Sensor (if used)

Excessive plug gap, carbon tracking, oil contamination, high resistance though secondary wires, arcing to ground or cross firing

Ignition coil or coil primary B+ ckt has high resistance

Corroded/worn ignition switch contacts

Leaking head gasket, fuel injector or oil seal

Incorrect/contaminated fuel (winter gas, E-85, diesel, excess alcohol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura