U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 69,303 times

Advertisements

My 1993 honda accord wont start, it just clicks once when i turn the key to start it. Any ideas on what i should do? what i should check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 03:14 AM

9 posts, read 40,958 times
if its just one click, it has to be your battery. if series of clicks, everything that is connected with your battery including the cables. check if they are connected properly.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 AM

3,860 posts, read 6,764,365 times
Not necessarily. it could be the starter solenoid engaging, but then the starter is failing to turn.

I probably would start with a battery check tho.
Put jumper cables on it and see if it starts.

If it does, then check your alternator too.

There are other possibilities, but these are the three most likely culprits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePartsbin View Post
if its just one click, it has to be your battery. if series of clicks, everything that is connected with your battery including the cables. check if they are connected properly.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 AM

8,293 posts, read 21,266,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweazy View Post
My 1993 honda accord wont start, it just clicks once when i turn the key to start it. Any ideas on what i should do? what i should check?
One click means your starter solenoid is bad, and you'll need to replace the starter.

If you do it yourself, make sure you get a reBUILT starter, with a lifetime warranty, from your local auto parts store.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:24 PM

42,672 posts, read 66,801,626 times
If I remember correctly, the click of an almost dead batter is a sharp snap, and there might be two or three of them. But if it's the starter, it will be a heavier, hollower click, and only one with each try. You have enough battery to kick the solenoid, and you'll hear that click, but it won't do anything.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM

2,692 posts, read 8,866,167 times
2nd the idea of jumping it to see if it's just the battery. if that doesn't work, for sure it's the starter/solenoid.

not sure on Hondas, but on some vehicles a little whack on the starter with a mallet can coax it along. not a permanent fix, but it works.

Mike

Old 06-04-2010, 09:23 PM

946 posts, read 2,026,186 times
Do not under any circumstances trade in your factory unit for some POS rebuilt with a lifetime warranty. It has that warranty because you will spend the lifetime of your car repeatedly replacing it.

You need starter contacts--find a good independent Honda shop and they'll have you back on the road for another 120k.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 AM

8,293 posts, read 21,266,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Do not under any circumstances trade in your factory unit for some POS rebuilt with a lifetime warranty. It has that warranty because you will spend the lifetime of your car repeatedly replacing it.

You need starter contacts--find a good independent Honda shop and they'll have you back on the road for another 120k.
Depends on where you get your rebuilt starter.

Remanufactured starters are to be avoided, but I've never had a problem with rebuilt.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:32 PM

12,105 posts, read 39,456,181 times
Really depends on who is doing the rebuilding. There is a local shop around here that does an excellent job rebuilding starters, alternators, etc. For example on German cars, a Bosch rebuilt in a Bosch box is a known good unit. Some of the chain parts stores do, as Teach pointed out, sell a crap unit with a lifetime warrenty, hoping you will eventually get tired of R&R-ing the starter.

Frequently a used starter or alternator from your friendly local scrap yard is your best low-buck bet. If you can put a new set of brushes in this used unit yourself, you have done the most important rebuild task and hopefully you did it right with quality parts.

OP needs to figure out if the problem is a dead/weak battery, bad connections (not just the 2 on the battery, particularly the end of the ground cable where it attaches to the block, transmission, or whatever need to be checked - be careful around the + cable, both ends - the attachment to the starter is the least problematic and hardest to work on so save that for last. You probably need to disconnect the battery to do it. Get a memory saver if you need it to avoid having to re-code your radio, etc.)

If the battery is good, and all 4 connectons are "bright and tight", probably the problem is the starter and/or it's solenoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura