Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Do you drive a German car?
British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
On some older VW's there is a tab connected to two of the CV bolts (6 bolts/3 tabs) to prevent them from unscrewing. Some times the tab is dumped to the side by a idiot mechanic (I would hate those guys) and a problem occurs. After all... the constant revolving of the CV axle a bolt or two can come loose.

All boots to my knowledge are a one piece unit that requires the axle removal in order to install one. The CV joint does have a circlip locking it on and if not the spline can be pulled out of the CV joint to a degree....on VW's that is.

Been a while since I retired so am not hep with some of the newer cars.

Steve

Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
However, I was at a standstill when I shifted into park. And of course, I was pressing the brake pedal like I would if I were to shift.
Without the resistance from the axle being in place there was nothing to stop the differential from turning even though the car wasn't moving.

Another way to picture it:

Your car is on a jack with one front tire off the ground. Car is idling in drive with the tire off the ground spinning at about 10 mph. Without applying the brake, you try to put it in park and hear this awful grinding sound. It's because the differential was still turning when park was trying to engage.

Now picture your car. Even though the car isn't moving, if it's running and in drive there's nothing to stop the differential from turning because the transaxle has became disconnected from the brake (because the axle is not connected to the transaxle anymore). Then you try to put it in park and there's that noise you heard.

It's the same principle with the car rolling even though it was in park. Picture a rear wheel drive car with the driveshaft removed. You wouldn't expect the trans in park to stop the car from rolling because the trans has been disconnected from the rear wheels (driveshaft is removed).

Have you talked to the repair shop yet?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 PM

408 posts, read 997,921 times
I went today to an auto mechanic and it seems my axle came off. Most importantly, for now at least, the dealership will pay for the replacement and labor; if any damages have occurred to the transmission, same thing. Thanks everyone.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm surprised they didn't agree only to pay if you returned it to THEIR dealership...you'd think they would want to verify that it was their fault (and fire the guy that did it).

Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
I'm surprised they didn't agree only to pay if you returned it to THEIR dealership...you'd think they would want to verify that it was their fault (and fire the guy that did it).
What, you've never made a mistake? Who say's it wasn't part failure?

Obviously, you don't fix cars for a living. If you did, you'd know it ain't a perfect world.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Nope...I don't fix cars for a living.

I do restore old British Sportscars for people on the side however.

But we are talking about a franchised dealership here where "mistakes" like this should NEVER happen.

As far as it being a part failure goes......he had his brakes done and they merely REPLACED the CV joint boot. No actual heavy parts involved (a rubber boot is all). He OBVIOUSLY screwed something up.

I had my Daughter's car in to a dealership for some warranty work last year and to do a safety recall bulletin. While it was there, I asked them to give it a lube and oil change because she's off at college. We picked up the car and she immediately went back to school over an hour away.

After driving the car for almost a week, she called me on her cellphone and said it was making some horrible engine noises. I asked her to tell me what the gauges were reading. When she said the oil pressure gauge was at 0, I told her to shut it down IMMEDIATELY!

She got the car towed home and when I lifted the hood, the engine bay was covered with oil. I reached down and found I could turn the oil filter by hand. When I spun it off, I realized that the mechanic had failed to check where the filter seated when he changed it and the gasket had stayed attached to the engine block...in effect, it was double-gasketed.

The engine was completely shot. The dealership had to replace the motor and pay for a rental car (they have insurance for this type of thing). Although I told the service manager that "mistakes happen" and I didn't want to see anyone lose their job over it, the service manager fired that mechanic on the spot.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Agreed, mistakes like this should never happen. But like I said before, it ain't a perfect world. Show me a tech who has never made a mistake. It can't be done.

There's a big difference between leaving the old oil filter gasket in place and a retainer clip breaking as you install an axle. You can see and feel a filter gasket stuck to the engine. The retainer (circlip, see picture) is spring steel clip that contracts as you install the axle and expands into a groove in the spider gear inside the transaxle case after the axle is installed. It can't be inspected once the axle is in place. The only thing you can do is pull on the axle to see if it's seated but that's no guarantee the clip is ok.

It sounds like the dealership is taking care of the problem with the axle. It's not something someone should lose their job over.
Attached Thumbnails
Right half shaft "popped out" -- 97 Civic-clip.jpg  

Old 06-09-2010, 03:06 PM

That'll be a decision left up to either the owner or the service manager and I'm sure it'll depend a lot upon exactly how much damage was done due to that mistake.

At a dealership, I would assume that a brand new clip would have been used and not just re-use of the old one.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM

New clip or old, it's the installation that creates the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura