Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:24 PM

113 posts, read 770,461 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I searched the forum for home security systems, but found none, so here I am!

I would like to ask for any suggestions/ideas/experiences with home security systems. I would go for the simplest solution and get a dog, but with caring for a dog, it may not be the simplest solution after all. I'm hesitant to call security companies because I'm afraid of the cost and am skeptical about its effectiveness.

I moved to a fairly safe & quiet neighborhood in NJ, but coming from Queens, NY, I still have that multiple-deadbolt mentality. I was even tempted to put bars on the ground floor windows!

I'd appreciate any feedback. As you can see, I'm really new to this stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
I have had one in two different homes. In the first it was a waste as the house was broken into and robbed without setting it off (they broke through a door in a room without a motion detector). In the second home I simply turned it off. A dog is the best deterrent.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:38 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,044,672 times
lol, i worked for 5 years at a major alarm company. My advice would be if youre going to get a system, look into the local ones, and ask your PD too what ones they like best. Find out the local response too, if the PD will charge you for each false call or if you get lets say, 3 free first. What their average response time is, and whats their SOPs when they get a call. False alarms can raise your blood pressure and cost you a bundle. Personally, Id get some window stickers that have an alarm company logo on em and stick them in your window, get a dog, and get friendly w/your neighbors. I did handle many actual alarms in my career w/the company, helped save some lives and some possessions, but 98% of the calls and systems that went off were false. And FYI, depending on the area, Ive seen it where the PD response time was HOURS later. ouch!
Good luck to ya!
Tiffany

Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,205 times
I have an ADT system...the only way to break into my house without setting off the alarm would be to break through a window and HOPE that it didn't jar the sensor...there is a sensor on every window and door to the house...

Then of course there is the motion sensor in the main area.

I think to be really effective today, you also need glass breakage sensors. So many homes have windows or doors that have alot of glass in them, making it totally posible that a robber could break that glass out, leaving the frame in place. Even if they only got in one room, here in my office sits my lap top, my Bose speaker system etc.

The thing I also like about ADT is you can have them moniter your house for fire...if my house caught on fire and I was not home...it would burn until someone noticed it.

Here in Florida we have a guy who breaks through the glass windows with a huge rock they say...I keep hoping he does that when someone is home...someone who is armed that is.

I don't think any one approach is going to keep you completely safe but I am with you, I don't want to put in the time and the money on a dog.

I have ADT and a .38 Smith and Wesson...I also speak of being from Texas (a shotgun behind every door and a pistol under every pillow) and being more then willing to shoot the wrong person if they get in my house around all my neighbors in the hopes that the message will get out that I am slightly off my nut...It never hurts to throw things in the conversation like you think the death penalty should be fast tracked...maybe we should bring back the firing squad...you'd be surprised at how many teenagers are breaking into peoples homes and might just be listening when Mom and Dad talk about their nut of a neighbor with the gun.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:15 AM

9,397 posts, read 11,143,637 times
I got an email recently regarding a southern home security system.
It consisted of a huge pan of water on the porch, a pair of size 12 boots by the door, a dozen beer cans scattered around, and a hand-written sign on the door telling Billy Bob to wait until Mack got back, he'd gone to town for some shotgun shells and beer and do not go inside as that's where the pack of dogs is.
I'll see if I can dig it out of my emails.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,993 times
Default Home Security

Before you buy any system, get a few estimates, keeping your mind open to suggestions, decide on your budget, and talk over with your spouse about what areas of the house concern you. Then check with the local BBB, friends and the local PD. The best advertisement is word of mouth and a decent reputation. This is a purchase to which you are trusting your property, health and the lives of your family.

After you have a system installed learn how it works and how to use it, then test it at least 2 times a month.

THEN USE THE ALARM!!! I go to several homes a year that have alarms, and had been rob while the home owner is not home and the alarm is not armed.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,695,879 times
95% of break in prevention is a security sign out front and a good deadbolt lock. If you are looking to be safe while you are at home, then an alarm is a good. It can monitor for gas leaks, fire, home intrusion - things that will keep you safe.

If you want to keep your house safe while you are gone, a monitoring service is not worth it. Any thief that sees the sign and proceeds is good enough to bypass the security or just doesn't care about the alarm. Buy a security sign like ADT from eBay and place it in your yard - casual thieves will move on to the house next door with no sign.

Rather than pay $20-40/month for monitoring, get a battery-powered area alarm and place it in a common area or by a door you want to monitor. It won't call the police, but it will make noise, so it will do the job you are looking for at a fraction of the cost. If you have insurance on your house and belongings, you don't need an alarm as well, imo.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:28 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,050 times
Had a monitored alarm system in our house in the city where crime was relatively low but burglaries by non-professionals were not uncommon. When we were on vacation and set all the motion detectors in addition to perimeter alarms, we felt the house was safer plus the fire/heat sensor was also monitored. When I was alone in the house at night, as a woman, I felt safer with the alarm on. I liked the "watch" feature, too, that would cause a beep when any of the exterior doors would open. We had back ups--ie., Smith and Wesson, and a big dog (great deterrant IF he barks instead of maybe licking the intruder to death...)

Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
I have found response time to be none to lacking.
Even if you know who the thief is, nothing can be done unless you have witnessed it or have proof.
We bought a 6 camera setup with a 500gig hard drive. The cameras themselves are a great determent, but video proof is better yet.

In most cases thiefs are known to you if seen. Too often our own best friends.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,165 times
Default Looking for the best cost effective

I am looking to install a security system in my home and I am looking for the best cost and quality. I am looking at the wireless systems. I am interested in installing the system my self. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Where can I get the best deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House