U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2010, 10:36 PM

427 posts, read 967,049 times

Advertisements

I was out of town for a week and when I arrived home, I learned from neighbors that the power was out for about 6 hours. I fully expected my alarm clocks, appliances and other electronics to be flashing 12:00 but my refrigerator was off and needless to say I had to throw away a lot of food. Why didn't the refrigerator turn back on when the power was restored? Would a powerful high joule surge protector have prevented the refrigerator from being affected by a power outage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,735,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I was out of town for a week and when I arrived home, I learned from neighbors that the power was out for about 6 hours. I fully expected my alarm clocks, appliances and other electronics to be flashing 12:00 but my refrigerator was off and needless to say I had to throw away a lot of food. Why didn't the refrigerator turn back on when the power was restored? Would a powerful high joule surge protector have prevented the refrigerator from being affected by a power outage?
how did you turn it on?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,373,926 times
A surge protector isn't going to do anything if the power goes out. For that, you'll need a standby generator.

That said, you'll want to look into why the fridge didn't come back on when the power came back. If it's an older fridge, the timer may have gotten stuck in the defrost mode.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 AM

427 posts, read 967,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
how did you turn it on?
I unplugged it, then plugged it back in and set the temperatures in the freezer and refrigerators to the highest setting and within a few hours, everything was operational.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:51 PM
QIS

654 posts, read 1,702,889 times
It must have an internal breaker that resets when you unplug it. Protects the motor and circuitry...not your filet mignon >>>>

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 AM

4,919 posts, read 10,519,122 times
Had that happen. If one of the new models with all electronic controls, it reset back to 0 just like shipment. Manufacture came out and replaced something and it now restarts and goes to last setting (like it should) upon power restoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House