U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2010, 02:42 PM
 
537 posts, read 1,986,591 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I need to recarpet the second floor of my new house. The current carpet is in pretty bad shape. As I am of a "green" mindset, and also b/c of allergies/asthma, I want a carpet that has the least amount of off-gassing/smell. I can't stand "new carpet smell" and once had to get rid of a brand new cat tree that arrived in a box b/c the new carpet smell (cat trees have carpet on them) was too overwhelming and caused respiratory symptoms.

Check out Earth Weave carpets (Google) 100% wool. A little pricey, but if you're that sensitive, it may be your only route.

I love the look and feel of Berber carpet, but am unsure how badly that smells.

I have been to a few carpet stores to research and see what's available but beyond recycled bottle cap carpets, which does not sound appealing, I am having trouble researching what would be the best option.

Not recycled bottle caps, but the whole bottle is recycled into a stranded fiber that can be spun into carpet yarn. It's called P.E.T., which is Polyethylene Terephthalate. It is green (very), but some slight off gassing may occur. The upside to P.E.T. carpets is that the fiber is virtually stainproof. And these days, they can be very soft once you get above the builder/commodity type carpets. Maybe 45 to 64 ozs. face weight.

I hear cork is good for flooring but our first choice would be a carpeting of some sort, as I feel that's better for bedrooms (cozier).

Cork is hypo-allergenic, so it may be an option for you. Put a nice wool rug, maybe hand knotted/vegetable-based dyes, in the center of the room to give you the "cozy" look you want.

Any advice?
Very few (yes, I know there are some) flooring contractors will have an area in which a roll of carpet can be unrolled for a few days prior to installation. Your sensitivity to off gassing and the "new carpet smell" may limit your options. The off gassing actually does dissipate after 48 - 72 hours, but the smell itself (which is not off gassing) may still be around for quite a while. The "new car smell" that we recognize in a new vehicle is very similar to "new carpet smell" in its make-up, and goes away at about the same rate.

Hope This helps.
Regards,
Streamer1212
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 PM
 
13,787 posts, read 25,181,931 times
Reputation: 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I can respect that but aren't there any other studies to support you contention? just one is pretty thin evidence.

Also I ask again, how does one vacuum up mold and mildew?

Like the other member wrote here, I doubt one is going to professionally clean all of this carpet twice a year, or even once a year, if they have allergy problems.

I think the answer is in the HVAC filter to air born allergens if the house has forced hot air and cooling system.
I'm amazed that sensitive people often will not do the basic maintenance to minimize problems... keeping a clean house.

It doesn't matter if the floor covering is wood, vinyl or carpet... clean is clean.

In sensitive hospital environments... inlaid vinyl is specified because it lends itself to cleaning and will not absorb moisture... products like MednTech have no backing... only 100% vinyl.

My grandmother kept a fastidious home... I know because I was the one that would have to move the refrigerator every month so she could thoroughly clean behind it and underneath... including disinfecting the condensate tray.

She also had her wool carpet professionally cleaned every 6 months... and the traffic was very light... just her and my Grandfather.

I've seen the other side managing rentals... quite common for carpet to never be cleaned the entire length of the tenancy... some do not even own a vacuum cleaner... talk about dirt.

Looked after a rental for friends that were transferred overseas for 2 years... this was their private home and everything was top notch... including the hardwood and very expensive carpet that was less than a year old.

The tenant removed all the carpet without telling anyone and then called me over because she wanted the hardwood under the carpet refinished... the owner went ballistic... they had spent over 10k on the carpeted rooms.

The tenant reply was that everyone knows carpet is unhealthy and she was not going to deal with having it professionally cleaned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 03:47 PM
 
432 posts, read 2,308,822 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm amazed that sensitive people often will not do the basic maintenance to minimize problems... keeping a clean house.
This is helpful but some people like me have problems just with the offgassing of the carpet. For instance, my husband and I have been to several carpet stores lately to take a look at carpets--often I can't stay there for more than 5 mins. without getting a severe headache. I get headaches in new cars...I once bought a cat tree that had new carpet on it, and I had to get rid of it after a few days because the smell was giving me a huge headache and other symptoms. So it's not necessarily the dust/dirt on or in the flooring--it's the carpet itself. It's releasing some sort of chemicals that are causing sensitivity.

I wish I could find a carpet other than wool (which is prohibitively expensive) that does not offgas and is made of natural materials and does not have stain resistant treatment. Unforuntealy, it looks like no such thing exists, which surprises me, because you can buy no VOC, non-toxic paint, and there are many options, but no so with carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
14,799 posts, read 17,244,393 times
Reputation: 18864
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Benefits of Hardwood Floors

If you're in the market for a new floor in your home, you've probably considered hardwood, laminate, and carpets--these are the most common materials. This article takes a look at why hardwood flooring is the better choice.

(http://www.buzzle.com/showImage.asp?image=14943 - broken link)
Well, it's obvious that the person who wrote this does not sit on the floor naked.

Because if he/she did sit on the floor naked he/she would know that it hurts like heck when your just a wee bit sweaty and your butt sticks.

I'll take carpets over hardwood, laminate or tile any day.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
 
13,787 posts, read 25,181,931 times
Reputation: 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
This is helpful but some people like me have problems just with the offgassing of the carpet. For instance, my husband and I have been to several carpet stores lately to take a look at carpets--often I can't stay there for more than 5 mins. without getting a severe headache. I get headaches in new cars...I once bought a cat tree that had new carpet on it, and I had to get rid of it after a few days because the smell was giving me a huge headache and other symptoms. So it's not necessarily the dust/dirt on or in the flooring--it's the carpet itself. It's releasing some sort of chemicals that are causing sensitivity.

I wish I could find a carpet other than wool (which is prohibitively expensive) that does not offgas and is made of natural materials and does not have stain resistant treatment. Unforuntealy, it looks like no such thing exists, which surprises me, because you can buy no VOC, non-toxic paint, and there are many options, but no so with carpet.
Some States... like California, regulate indoor air pollution...

Links that you may find helpful:

Green Label / Green Label Plus

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005..._finding_1.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 PM
 
41,641 posts, read 44,893,785 times
Reputation: 12784
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Really? Can you vacuum up mold and mildew? My physician would differ with you also. He recommended wood floors for the very allergens the poster mentioned here. I realize he isn't a "carpet expert", thank god, but he should know what would be best for his patients, I think.

Can you show us these "scientific tests"? I am interetsed in this to see who funded the tests, and how they were conducted, and what the results were in them. On the surface, what you write may seem to make sense, but I am suspicious about tests that may have been conducted by the carpet industry.

Should we assume that it is better to buy upolstered furniture since it traps allergens rather than let's say Mission Oak style furniture with more wood and less upolstery?

Also, if this home in the OP is a forced hot air and central air conditioned home, the "floating allergens" could be filtered through a very good hypoallergenic filter made for this purpose for any HVAC system. Perhaps this is the real answer for them if they have a forced air HVAC system.

The OP mention carpets, and the allergen problems associated with them, which is why I suggested the alternative, but if you can show the OP originator that hardwood and tile floors are worse, as you stated, I am certain they would be all eyes. Me too.
Remeber that wood is actaully a food for mold. That is when mold actually becoes a real hazard in homes when it starts spreading from either the paper of sheet rosk or wood. Ceaning and keepign mositure down is the key to no problems. i have seen many kitchens with mold having started from moisiture that gone between the concrete or subflooring and wood floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,455 times
Reputation: 10
Earth Weave makes a carpet that has no chemicals or dyes. Someone mentioned the CRI Green Label but that is just full of companies that make synthetic carpets that are loaded with chemicals. It is greenwashing at the highest degree.

There is a Scandinavian study somewhere that shows where carpet is actually healthier than a hard surface due to the fact that it is a "sink" for contaminants. I could not find the study but Earth Weave (earthweave.com) may be able to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 AM
 
13,787 posts, read 25,181,931 times
Reputation: 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyPatron View Post
Earth Weave makes a carpet that has no chemicals or dyes. Someone mentioned the CRI Green Label but that is just full of companies that make synthetic carpets that are loaded with chemicals. It is greenwashing at the highest degree.

There is a Scandinavian study somewhere that shows where carpet is actually healthier than a hard surface due to the fact that it is a "sink" for contaminants. I could not find the study but Earth Weave (earthweave.com) may be able to help you.
My understanding is Green Label no longer exists... my State does accept Green Label Plus...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
 
2 posts, read 5,455 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My understanding is Green Label no longer exists... my State does accept Green Label Plus...

I was speaking of CRI specifically and Green Label generally. Both labels still exist and both are greenwashing so the point is still the same. Synthetics are not natural, healthy or sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 1,505,796 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, it's obvious that the person who wrote this does not sit on the floor naked.

Because if he/she did sit on the floor naked he/she would know that it hurts like heck when your just a wee bit sweaty and your butt sticks.

I'll take carpets over hardwood, laminate or tile any day.

20yrsinBranson
No I don't usually sit around the house naked, particularly on the floors. But we do have hardwood and tile floors and we use "area" rugs. Nice orientals and other area "rugs" for the baths, so I really don't understand your point here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top