Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 PM

210 posts, read 402,329 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the kits that come pre cut , drilled and sized for non proffesional people to be able to erect? We found one in Tilton new hampshire and it could cost thousands less if we can build it ourselves. We do have some building esperience but not tons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
That kit house you are looking at has many hidden costs. Consider the cost of a new septic or the hookup fees to city waste line. Power is usually nearly free unless they have to put up new utility poles. Water hookups to city lines are steep and digging a well cost thousands. Don't forget $5000 or more for the slab. piers or foundation...whatever method you choose. Electricians rape to bring power to the not always already installed service panel.

What about construction financing. It is non existent right now. There simply is none. Nearly all construction financing demands you own the land free and clear. If you want to assemble this home all by your lonesome it could take many months. You are paying interest on that loan during that time. At least a portion of it anyway. Lenders demand a scheduled draw....good luck with that.

Finally you must know that many local building codes do not like these kits very much. They will drill your azz till you give up. Remember, during these depression times, Building Inspectors have nothing to do. So when a call comes in they will grace you with more time then you want to offer them and will tear you 4 new holes that are yet to be named. The days of curb side inspections (when they never get out of their car and just look at the house and approve it) are gone with the boom times.

From a professional with decades in the biz I advise you not to dream about this method. Open the MLS books. There are more homes on the market then you can walk through in 10 lifetimes. Deals are endless.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:06 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
I've seen a few. You do need some experience with building codes. Desertsun is right about hidden costs, and the manufacturer is not going to reveal them. I would consider hiring a contractor as an advisor to help walk you through the process.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
I know the Tilton NH outfit and they have been in business since I first discovered them in 1980, if it is the same one. Post and beam homes are beautiful.. They are very reputable and will work with you to estimate all of the costs to finish the home so you can live in it. Of course they can't be responsible for finished costs, but they will tell what you will require and not try and fool you into thinking anything otherwise. They are well constructed homes and you can check with anyone who has bought them in the last 30 years. Ask for references.

What I like about these is you can pretty much call the shots for all of the finishes, like heating type, all of the fixture quality from plumbing to electrical, all of the kitchen layout and cabinet quality, window and door quality, roofing, siding etc..

btw, I would hire a framer to put it together with you. Remember, these will be delivered on a flatbed semi and they must be allowed down your road and across any bridges rated for as much 80,000 lbs over 5 axles. You must have an experienced fork lift driver to unload these kits. I would recommend hiring a "rigging crew" to unload and position the pcs where you want them to be erected so you don't have to handle them two or three times. What kind of building site do you have ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House