U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:59 PM

431 posts, read 2,121,021 times
Default Best place to get bathroom mirrors and vanities

Can anyone recommend the best place to get beautiful bathroom mirrors and vanities--either a store or online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 886,991 times
Lowe's has a great selection of vanities and mirrors. Pretty much any style you'd probably want they have.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 PM

10,428 posts, read 27,695,721 times
Glass shops sell every shape/size and any style mirrors.

Cabinet showrooms sell bathroom vanities in every conceivable door/drawer combo and size.

And for MUCH LESS COST then the big box stores.

The obvious answers you will get for Home Depot and Lowes will be from uneducated consumers who seem to enjoy overpaying because they are too stubborn to try any place else.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,683,229 times
Really depends on your budget.

Restoration Hardware has their bi-annual bath sale going on through mid-August. 20%-25% off there is still pricey but what they have is nice and comes in a variety of finishes.
Restoration Hardware Homepage

I don't know what kind of look your are going for but for the price of some of these stand alone vanities you can go to an antique store and get a "find" to re-purpose and create your own one-of-a-kind vanity. I've done this twice now for use with vessel sinks. One was comprised of sewing machine stand legs
with the vessel set 1/2 way down upon a Zodiac surface. The other was an antique wash basin and I set a vessel sink on top. I still had limited drawer space after making room for the plumbing, to store toilet paper, etc... .

Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM

2,093 posts, read 2,434,057 times
Home Decorators Collection

Furniture and Home Decor | Home Decorators Collection

Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,610,104 times
Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. Save a fortune and you may find something unique.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 PM

5,144 posts, read 10,648,940 times
I am also looking for a white vanity 36" wide and 21" deep - it is for our grandchildren's bathroom so we don't want to spend a fortune. We have looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and have found nothing that works. We went to a "discount" bathroom & kitchen warehouse - nothing but ugly junk at high prices.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I am also looking for a white vanity 36" wide and 21" deep - it is for our grandchildren's bathroom so we don't want to spend a fortune. We have looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and have found nothing that works. We went to a "discount" bathroom & kitchen warehouse - nothing but ugly junk at high prices.
A 36" shouldn't be so hard to find Catknap. It's quite standard. As you have found out, the big box stores just sell junk with no style. Too bad you didn't live closer, I stock that size. But what exactly are you looking for and maybe I could steer you to the product. What do you call ugly? I mean other then door style and color...all of which have hundreds of combinations, what are you looking for?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,648,940 times
Well thank you Desertsun. When my husband took the old vanity out, he broke one small ceramic floor tile (of course it is at the front of where the vanity sits). Since we don't want to have to replace the whole floor (which is in good condition), we would like to cover that tile up with the vanity - we may have to put a small piece of molding around the cabinet - not sure until we install it. We would like to find a vanity that is not on legs and does not have an opening on the bottom where you can see under the vanity. This is not really the style right now of most vanities we have been seeing (only the really cheaply made and cheap looking cabinets at Lowe's were flush with the floor - builder's grade).

We have thought of finding a cabinet where we could take the bottom piece off and replace it with a nice piece of wood or wood molding and then paint it. The cabinet is in a corner.

We had a custom vanity built for our bathroom and we could go that route (honestly it wasn't that much more than the vanities-on-the-shelf at Lowes and the quality was superior). Since this particular bathroom is used only by the grandchildren, we want it to look nice but not spend a fortune.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Well thank you Desertsun. When my husband took the old vanity out, he broke one small ceramic floor tile (of course it is at the front of where the vanity sits). Since we don't want to have to replace the whole floor (which is in good condition), we would like to cover that tile up with the vanity - we may have to put a small piece of molding around the cabinet - not sure until we install it. We would like to find a vanity that is not on legs and does not have an opening on the bottom where you can see under the vanity. This is not really the style right now of most vanities we have been seeing (only the really cheaply made and cheap looking cabinets at Lowe's were flush with the floor - builder's grade).

We have thought of finding a cabinet where we could take the bottom piece off and replace it with a nice piece of wood or wood molding and then paint it. The cabinet is in a corner.

We had a custom vanity built for our bathroom and we could go that route (honestly it wasn't that much more than the vanities-on-the-shelf at Lowes and the quality was superior). Since this particular bathroom is used only by the grandchildren, we want it to look nice but not spend a fortune.

Any suggestions?
A quality vanity cabinet sits on the floor with all sides. To me those cheapies in the big box store that are on legs are junk. They are made to fit any situation and they do not appear as built-in like a vanity should. Those with legs are just dust collectors underneath. This seems to be the style in Europe but not here.

If it's just a corner you can trim it with quarter round molding. If it's in front I will sometimes scab some scrap over the toe kick before placing the toe skin over it effectively building the toe kick out.

If it's on the side, and your vanity is up against the wall on the other side, you can use a 1" filler to effectively increase the vanities length that inch. This will also cover the small break in the tile. This will make you lose the ability to buy those ready made tops which are in just standard sizes.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House