U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM

241 posts, read 13,488 times

Advertisements

My fiberglass pool has a terrible tea-like stain covering the entire bottom of the pool. When the pool was completely white, the water looked very blue. Now with the brown stains on the bottom, the water has a greenish hue to it. I canít empty the pool to scrub the stains away because the pool is fiberglass.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of these tea-like stains? I read that vitamin C should help, but I donít know where to get it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:53 PM

6,833 posts, read 21,956,687 times
First thing to do is to determine what kind of stain you have.
If it's metal stain- using an orange, lemon, or lime rub an area with the cut half; if the stain starts to disappear after about 20sec. you can buy ascorbic acid at a local pool supply store. You'll also want to use "Metal Out" to prevent the stain from coming back. Also check your chlorine level, high levels produce the high metal content.
If the ascorbic acid test doesn't work- it maybe tannin stains (staining from leaves and such). That usually requires draining, scrubbing, yada, yada, yada!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:51 PM
QIS

664 posts, read 1,734,298 times
What is the current condition of your gel coat? If you rub the side of the pool does it cause chalking/milking in the water? Were the stains in fact caused by leaves. If it was white, what happened to make the stains?
Of course you probably already know that pool acid is muriatic acid. IF and that is if your gel coat is fine(not chalking or milking) and you know that the stains were from tree leaves or palm fronds then you can attempt to do a light acid wash by increasing the amount of acid till the ph is well below 7. The rule of thumb is that you should never add more than a quart of acid at a time, that is probably going to be ok, just add it until you have about a gallon in a 15-20k gallon pool.
Check you ph and keep the motor running. Once you have the ph way down there, then start brushing( nylon bristle only!). This process will take about a day.
Now you can start adding liquid chlorine. Now once you get you ph above 7, start brushing! You can go as far as super chlorinating and it should bleach those stains out! keep monitoring your ph and total alkalinity; you want to keep them manageable as you will have to balance before swimming!
This only works on stains that can be removed; some can't and you may end up recoating.
Call a pool company that has expert level service ability with fiberglass pools and get their take on the technique I just described. i have done it to a few pools myself and have had others do it based on the procedure I just described,however, maybe they have a different take on it or a special additive that is compatible with the fiberglass. If they sound proficient enough ask them to come take a look and give you a bid! It so hot there now that maybe you would be better off spending a few extra sheckles to have it done!
Now after typing all of that; if you have deeper concerns,like the fiberglass is old and frail or decomposing; then by all means just get the experts out there for some solid advice and bids.
PLEASE! if you are not comfortable with and educated about handling pool chemicals then DON"T TRY ; this is not the time to try something new. The acid and chlorine are VERY hazardous and when there is a problem it happens very quickly so please get the pool company to get this done.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:46 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,022,400 times
When we were living in Va and had an inground pool-our steps always had a yellow tinge. Going to the pool store-trying this & that (chemicals)-nothing worked.
For the heck of it -tried Mr Clean Magic Eraser-it totally removed all the stains on the steps. We even left a box with instructions for the new owners.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
QIS

That's wild! how did you use it? Did you scrub each step completely or did you just scrub spots? If I scrubbed all my steps I would have to use a mask and goggles. Was is a uniform staining and the eraser worked? Did you use only one? Where did you get it( Walmart?)?? Sorry for all the questions!!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM

27,234 posts, read 20,934,527 times
Water in its purest form is acidic. Not until you add calcium, bi-carb, and bring the pH up does it start to become balanced. The working chemical in chlorine is hypochlorus acid and, as its name states, it's acidic.

You can bring your water down to a more acidic level by adding pure water and check the chemicals and see if you can brush it off. I'd suggest researching pool chemistry and how each chemical influences the balance of the water.

Here is a good website, with explanations:
The Pool Calculator
Basic Pool Chemistry

Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,022,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
That's wild! how did you use it? Did you scrub each step completely or did you just scrub spots? If I scrubbed all my steps I would have to use a mask and goggles. Was is a uniform staining and the eraser worked? Did you use only one? Where did you get it( Walmart?)?? Sorry for all the questions!!
Don't worry about all your questions-no problem. But as pp did suggest-take a water sample to your local pool supply store and have it analyzed.
We did have an analysis but nothing worked except for the Magic Eraser.

Use the regular Magic Eraser without Febreeze.We-DH & I just scoured the stained areas. We did only had to our steps which was not too deep so didn't need a mask & goggles.If your surface is rough you will go through several erasers as they disintegrate quickly -buy a few boxes-don't know how big your area is. Yes-I bought them at Walmart as they were the cheapest without a coupon.

Hopefully this works for you-good luck! We miss our pool

Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 PM
QIS

Thanks! I will try the product for various stuff based on what you wrote. I just have little tiny areas here and there and I do enjoy getting mask on! That sounds like it was a real project!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,811 times
I have a 16 x 32 fiberglass in ground pool that was saturated with leaves, stems and other debris. After removing all of the mentioned I chlorinated heavy while running the pump and continued vacuuming. I have patches of stains throughout the bottom and a darker stain line around the pool that appears to be the depth height of ( 24 to 36 ) inches below skimmer. Yesterday I applied 2 gallons of Muriatic acid without the pump running for about 4 hours and then ran the pump and vacuum all night. This procedure did absolutely nothing for my cause. During this process I have kept the pool loaded with chlorine which also has algaecide agents. My pool water is clear but the stains still remain and makes the pool look undesirable to get in. Please help with a solution while it's still early in the season. Thank you

Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,979 times
I had some stains from leaves on the side and tried a magic eraser and it removed it with no effort. Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House