Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times

Advertisements

Metal roofs are a good choice. They come in different colors, and snow and rain run off them freely. Even debris such as leaves and branches fall off them more freely than most any other type roofing. Many years ago when I lived in S. CA I knew a family that while on vacation druing the 4th of July holiday lost their whole home and all their possessions by someone's bottle rocket landing on their roof. That won't happen with a metal roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 07:06 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Our lakehouse has a metal roof and it is so snuggly to be inside during a rainshower and hear the rain plink on the roof. Great for naps and sleeping!

One other important $$ thing to note: The Federal Government will allow a $500.00 credit on your taxes for installing a metal roof because it is more energy efficient.

Kind regards

Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 85,009 times
Todays news article about the California fires mentions "His roof is made of cement, with metal underneath."
Las Vegas SUN: SoCal Canyon Flourishes After 2003 Fire (broken link)
Where can I get more information about that kind of roof? Thanks

Old 10-26-2007, 11:18 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett View Post
Todays news article about the California fires mentions "His roof is made of cement, with metal underneath."
Las Vegas SUN: SoCal Canyon Flourishes After 2003 Fire (broken link)
Where can I get more information about that kind of roof? Thanks
Site says this story is no longer available? \\Never mind: When I clicked the link in the quote it found it. Weird....

Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,274 times
Does the bubble insulation muffle the sound of rain that much? I've been in a trailer before in the rainstorm and it was deafening, but that place was like a tin can--no insulation at all, probably. That's my concern with a metal roof, otherwise I would like one if it would look good.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,153 times
Default metal roof

the house I live in had a metal roof when I bought it (older silver color), I would guess it was over 50+ yrs and we had it replaced with the green color and it looks great (with the insulation in the attic, we don't hear the rain that much)
we had ours put on with screws instead of nails, that was over 15 yrs ago and no problems yet with it

Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Roofs-
They last forever depending on the material (literally - some metal roofs on churches in Europe are 500+ years old) and I like the sound.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I wonder if lightning strikes are an issue with them?
Unless the roof is grounded, lightning would be no more or less likely to strike a metal roof. Also, "skin effect" would protect anything under the roof from exposure to the strike. Skin effect is the tendency for a static charge to travel along the outside surface of a metal conductor rather than through the matrix of the metal itself. This is why lightning rods work and why you are safe from lightning in a vehicle (or a house with a metal roof).

I have noticed that I get close to zero cell phone reception under my aluminum shingle roof, however, and if you live close to a wifi hotspot it becomes a deadzone under a metal roof.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
On more than one occasion I've lost the battle against gravity. I find a rope and a repelling harness hooked to truck on the opposite side are life and limb savers.

They do make foot holds for metal roofs I've seen them somewhere but I don't recall where. They're a installed to stay there, guess if you spend a lot of time on your roof they'd be handy (footy) but who's on there roof that often?

I know a contractor who did this. His helpers decided it was lunch time and drove off. 3 weeks in the hospital. Lots of broken bones.

If you do this, keep every set of keys in your pocket. (And don't hire idiots).

Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 AM

205 posts, read 602,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I am here to tell you it does indeed work, or my husband would not be surfing.
(In case you haven't figured it out, we have both a genuine metal roof, and wireless internet.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
...I have noticed that I get close to zero cell phone reception under my aluminum shingle roof, however, and if you live close to a wifi hotspot it becomes a deadzone under a metal roof.
Hmm...I'm assuming with a metal roof, you don't get good reception to anything outside (cell tower, public wifi, your neighbor's "free" unprotected wifi)? But that you can get ok reception for anything inside the house (under the metal roof) such as your own wifi hotspot/access point or router.

In same relation assume this also affect public radio and TV broadcasts? Maybe need antenna on roof or outside house for maximum reception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House