U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM

13,504 posts, read 24,628,462 times
Default Non-Clog Toilets... American Standard Champion 4

Unusual and delicate situation...

I manage rentals and recently, a rather large, wheel chair bound, tenant moved into a unit.

The existing, trouble free 25 year old toilet is no longer trouble free... it simply doesn't have the capacity to move the waste... unless, perhaps it sits overnight in the bowl and flushed the next morning...

Toilet is 100% clear... it was removed and taken outside, flushed and inspected... sewer line is short run and flows freely... never any history of back-ups at this 25 year old building.

Tenant's son stayed in the unit the week tenant was out of town and the toilet functioned perfectly... within 24 hours, it's plugged solid.

Tenant said she always has problems with toilets...

I'm looking for suggestions and will gladly install a new American Standard Non-Clog toilet if this will resolve problem...

It's no fun clearing the toilet several times a week... all other plumbing in building works fine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM

7,332 posts, read 11,283,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Unusual and delicate situation...

I manage rentals and recently, a rather large, wheel chair bound, tenant moved into a unit.

The existing, trouble free 25 year old toilet is no longer trouble free... it simply doesn't have the capacity to move the waste... unless, perhaps it sits overnight in the bowl and flushed the next morning...

Toilet is 100% clear... it was removed and taken outside, flushed and inspected... sewer line is short run and flows freely... never any history of back-ups at this 25 year old building.

Tenant's son stayed in the unit the week tenant was out of town and the toilet functioned perfectly... within 24 hours, it's plugged solid.

Tenant said she always has problems with toilets...

I'm looking for suggestions and will gladly install a new American Standard Non-Clog toilet if this will resolve problem...

It's no fun clearing the toilet several times a week... all other plumbing in building works fine...
Toilet Forum discussions
Go to Terry Love's toilet forum. This guy has all of the answers. I have seen discussions before on Terry's forum about handicapped people producing too much volume for the average toilet. This guy is the recognized guru on toilets, he sells and installs thousands every year. If Terry, or one of the other plumbers on his forum can't solve the problem, it can't be solved...!!
But I have seen your very problem discussed there, and they have the answer...

Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the link!

Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 PM

6,529 posts, read 14,187,038 times
I have a neighbor who has been banned from every restaurant in the area because he backs up their toilets, he is mentally disabled but he has a job.
My cousin used to always not flush the toilet because doing so overflowed it.
I am even remembering a episode of South Park where a parent remarks on Cartman as "oh yeah, you are the kid you always backs up our toilet."

These are people who may have a over enthusiastic need to wipe, or too much fiber?
I know of no way to tell them to flush several times as they go. The old "courtesy flush?

As you mention the tenant has had this problem elsewhere. There may be some commercial toilets available that could work in a home, I have seen some in hotels that look like they would do. Some have a pressurized chamber in the tank to do a power flush. The reason a hotel toilet may work as many have the same drains as a home in the slab/floor. Most businesses have the drain on the wall down low.

I would first talk to a plumbing business or plumbing house, not Lowes or Home Depot. A call to a hotel manager might give you some answers.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:07 PM

7,332 posts, read 11,283,030 times
See how shallow my life is, I spend my time reading the toilet forum...!
I actually found the site when deciding what the best toilets are before I replaced two of mine. The first thing you learn is, NEVER buy a toilet from a big box store..!

Old 07-30-2010, 03:13 PM

165 posts, read 684,936 times
We had 20+ year old toilets that were not low-flow and one member of our household always clogged them. I know what you mean, seems I always had a plunger in my hand.
We installed the low-flow Champion 4s in our new house. After over one year of use there has been not one clog so they seem to work as advertised.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM

11,397 posts, read 25,413,162 times
Stop the problem at the source. Milk of Magnesia.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:06 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,106,710 times
The Champion 4 should be fine - AS had a bunch of issues with the Champion 3. Their QC can still be a hit-or-miss, though.

I have Cadet 3s in my house ... 1.28gpf, and they performs better than the 30 year old guzzlers.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:11 PM

10,653 posts, read 6,126,527 times
Some people just don't know how to use the toilet. If it's that old i'd just replace it. Will save you problems and a ton of water as well.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies

Just came back from the Plumbing Wholesale House with a Toto Drake II...

I was going to pick up the Companion and the counter guy said they sell both... he also said the plumbers that do a lot of restaurants buy only Toto from them... the Toto was $250 plus tax... so I decided to give it a try.

The new airport has Toto too... (Kind of sounds like the Wizard of Oz)

There is also a $50 rebate from the water company.

I've never been a fan of low flush... I recall one building that had changed them all out when the low flush 1.6 hit the market... the owners spent a bundle on plumbing calls...

Kohler had a power assist that worked great until it didn't... to Kohler's credit, the company replaced all of them at no charge including a small amount for labor... my esteem for Kohler went up tremendously... a company willing to stand behind their product.

I still manage a 1920's home with the original high mounted commode tank... boy does that flush!

Here's putting Toto to the test... I should have a good idea in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House