U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM

12,252 posts, read 16,609,888 times
Default Removing Decoupage???

We have bathroom walls that were decoupaged in intermittent areas. Does anyone have a proven solution on how to remove it easily from the painted walls? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 11:18 AM

2,902 posts, read 6,449,392 times
Hard to say...a picture might help.

I would guess it is dependent on what type of clear coating is over the decoupage.....and how it may be different from wallpaper.

I have used DIF, a tiger-type perferator, etc with varying degrees of success. I have also bought a Wagner wallpaper steamer. So far I like that the best, but even that is not perfect.

Is it over drywall or plaster? Does it have a clear sealer over it?

In extreme cases it may be less labor intensive to just go over it with 1/4" or 3/8" drywall........but it is hard to suggest without knowing a bit more.........

Old 07-31-2010, 05:56 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,145,661 times
If hot water didn't soften the coating, it would just sand it.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 PM

12,252 posts, read 16,609,888 times
Thanks to both of you for responding. It looks as if someone cut out Looney Tunes characters from a wrapping paper and decoupaged them all over the bathroom wall. They are approximately 2"x2" and I would estimate maybe 100 of them all in random places. We started out with warm water, and had a little success scraping with a razor blade. However, it is very time-consuming, bad on the wrist, and gouges the wall...which is drywall (painted with semi-gloss and then decoupaged as mentioned.)

Our next trick will be to try the tool that scores the paper...and see if that works better. If not, we are thinking about applying paintable wall paper on the wall, and just paint them.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:35 PM

You might also try borrowing a small steamer from someone....that may loosen them up enough to scrape them off.
Also, using the right handle with a single edge razor blade might help a lot and not hurt your wrist.

Since they are so small, I would lean towards just scraping them off, patching with some drywall mud if needed, then prime and paint. You might even be able to just put a skim coat of mud over them, then prime and paint.

I think I'd do that before doing the wallpaper thing. I'm in western NY...if you're close I'd let you have one of my steamers to use......DM me if you are...

Frank

Old 08-01-2010, 08:48 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
I would approach it just as if it were wallpaper--get a scoring tool and a steamer. Run the scorer over it, then steam it, then scrape it. Should come off like butter if you did it right.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I would approach it just as if it were wallpaper--get a scoring tool and a steamer. Run the scorer over it, then steam it, then scrape it. Should come off like butter if you did it right.
Agreed. The only thing I'd add is that if it is over drywall, sometimes those scoring tools will leave little impressions that need to be skim coated themselves before painting. That does not happen over plaster.

Frank

Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 AM

8,496 posts, read 9,654,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Thanks to both of you for responding. It looks as if someone cut out Looney Tunes characters from a wrapping paper and decoupaged them all over the bathroom wall. They are approximately 2"x2" and I would estimate maybe 100 of them all in random places. We started out with warm water, and had a little success scraping with a razor blade. However, it is very time-consuming, bad on the wrist, and gouges the wall...which is drywall (painted with semi-gloss and then decoupaged as mentioned.)

Our next trick will be to try the tool that scores the paper...and see if that works better. If not, we are thinking about applying paintable wall paper on the wall, and just paint them.

Thanks for your suggestions.
If you put wall paper over them you be able to see the edges thru the wall paper...

Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,248,237 times
We had border and wallpaper to remove on our foreclosure,son-inlaw used wagner steamer and was sucessful,electric cost $50,couldn't believe it and had electric co ck meter.House was completely void of anything electric.
We spent month there and finished removal of wallpaper,used wallpaper remover from Lowes,did a quicker job than steamer without scoring.Paper almost fell off.Had to use joint compound to cover his scoring.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 PM

147 posts, read 397,031 times
I just did this! The former owner of our house decoupaged tropical plants coming out of the top of the toilet... lol. With a steamer, it came right off. We didn't use a scorer because the pieces were small enough that they peeled off fairly easily. DIF has not worked at all for me in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House