U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM

36 posts, read 139,304 times
Default Where do I find window treatments for this shape window?

Anyone know where can I get maybe a prop-up shade or any other options for this? I would like to cover the entire area and not just have a straight rod going across where there is a gap at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Where do I find window treatments for this shape window?-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 PM

6,647 posts, read 20,724,030 times
Contact any plantation shutter supplier- it would have to be custom made, but you do have a "standard size" window unit. A plantation shutter unit would best match the present shades.
Some thing like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Where do I find window treatments for this shape window?-blindbuzz-20-20shutters-20arched-20sunburst-20with  

Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 AM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
You will have to get it custom made and you can do that anywhere they sell blinds, etc. It will be rather expensive though.

What is the purpose of the window covering-block sunlight, privacy?? If you are just trying to block sunlight, I would apply a window film to cut down on the sun. If you want privacy and don't want to spend a few hundred dollars you can get some window film at the hardware store that will make the window opaque. We have an octagonal window in our half bath and we applied this film-we chose the "Rice Paper" look. It still gives us light but you can't see in or out.

Something like this:

Privacy Window Film, Privacy Film, Stained Glass Privacy Film (http://windowfilmworld.com/privacy_window_film.htm - broken link)

Old 08-05-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You will have to get it custom made and you can do that anywhere they sell blinds, etc. It will be rather expensive though.

What is the purpose of the window covering-block sunlight, privacy?? If you are just trying to block sunlight, I would apply a window film to cut down on the sun. If you want privacy and don't want to spend a few hundred dollars you can get some window film at the hardware store that will make the window opaque. We have an octagonal window in our half bath and we applied this film-we chose the "Rice Paper" look. It still gives us light but you can't see in or out.

Something like this:

Privacy Window Film, Privacy Film, Stained Glass Privacy Film (http://windowfilmworld.com/privacy_window_film.htm - broken link)

One part privacy, and as you can see there is a street light right outside which is very bright. So those films don't filter any light out at all?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM

1,817 posts, read 3,665,494 times
I think window film would be a great option for that window. You can get different patterns, different levels of privacy, you can change it if you decide to try a different decor.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 AM
QIS

638 posts, read 1,609,994 times
Hi hou-iah,
I agree with golfgal. It depends on what you want to do! I had a window like this that was blazing in heat and unwanted sunlight. I made my own shade by making a template out of cardboard and then making an insert into the window opening out of a styrofoam insulation panel. It fit fine so I painted it and stuck it in there and that was that.< $20 ! It was not a pretty as some shades,but, it did what I wanted better than a cloth shade or shutter. Again with golfgal, the custom made stuff is expensive to me!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 AM

5,308 posts, read 5,017,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hou-iah View Post
One part privacy, and as you can see there is a street light right outside which is very bright. So those films don't filter any light out at all?
The films come in many types with different levels of filtration. I have a film on the bedroom windows in my Arizona house that only cuts the glare as far as light goes, but it has cut down on the heat that comes in and is practically invisible. The film product (purchased at Lowe's) was even qualified for a Federal tax deduction as an energy saving device.

In addition to the product I bought, Lowe's also had film that cuts light out to a much greater degree and, as golfgal told you, there is also a rice-paper- style film that would make the window opaque. Fair warning, though. While the film can be put on as a do-it-yourself project, at my skill level it was definitely a two-person task.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 AM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hou-iah View Post
The one we have would filter some light-it makes it look like it is cloudy out I guess is the best way to describe it but you can get some solar film, it will be gray/black where you can still see outside but it will cut down on the light coming through depending on what level of blocking you buy.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Lowes has an el cheapo paper fan shade than can be cut to fit and sits on the ledge..either that or window film I think is the route I'm going to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House