U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 AM

83 posts, read 205,414 times
Default white dust coming from vents

I first noticed it after a good thunder/lightening storm and thought maybe some drywall or popcorn ceiling dust had got shaken loose. The house we are renting had the roof and evap cooler replaced in April. I didn't notice anything right away, but now that I changed my furniture around I have a couple dark wood tables that keep getting covered in white dust. It's not very fine either. I only see it in the path of the airflow from the vents. But it's continued since then. I don't notice any difference when it's on vent or cool air. Besides the fact that no one likes dusting daily...it blows right where I sleep.

Any ideas what the problem is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:15 AM

11,398 posts, read 25,413,162 times
The problem is likely the design of the cooler. If the cooler actually sprays water as a mist, the lime in the water gets in the aerosol, and deposits out as a white "dust." Over time, enough of this coats the ducts that it is a constant problem. If the cooler is truly "evaporative" the bulk of the lime stays on the media used to present the water to the air flow. If the house has a water softener, recharging it might help.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The problem is likely the design of the cooler.
Well, that sucks. Its brand new.

Quote:
If the house has a water softener, recharging it might help.
No water softener.

So are we just stuck breathing this stuff? It's pretty gritty and coats anything on the tables, yuk.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 484,619 times
Hope it's not chinese sheetrock ! This stuff is very dangerous to breathe . Google it . I'd help you with it but my slow dialupis hard to use .

Old 08-07-2010, 09:20 PM

11,398 posts, read 25,413,162 times
No guarantees, but you could try sticking a filter downstream of the evap. cooler to catch the worst of it.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM

That's a good idea. My dh was thinking of rinsing out the filter screens or whatever, and rinse off the newness. Don't really want to mess with it much since this is a rental....and we don't want to bother complaining about it right now.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:47 PM

21,236 posts, read 11,761,624 times
Where do you live?

Our white dust dust comes in off the desert. We have A/C but the problem is worst in the spring when the windows are open and the air is off. Pollen?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM

1,184 posts, read 2,619,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123catlady View Post
I first noticed it after a good thunder/lightening storm and thought maybe some drywall or popcorn ceiling dust had got shaken loose. The house we are renting had the roof and evap cooler replaced in April. I didn't notice anything right away, but now that I changed my furniture around I have a couple dark wood tables that keep getting covered in white dust. It's not very fine either. I only see it in the path of the airflow from the vents. But it's continued since then. I don't notice any difference when it's on vent or cool air. Besides the fact that no one likes dusting daily...it blows right where I sleep.

Any ideas what the problem is?
In addition to DewDropInn's suggestion have you actually looked in the supply and return air vents? You should be able to use a flashlight without even taking the vent covers off. A very common issue found when I inspect is ceiling texture and paint has been blown into the ducts. The texture people will remove vent covers but generally don't seal off the duct work openings. In the process I have seen texture and paint deep in the duct work. It doesn't take long for that texture to start falling apart and being blown out. It can come out as big flakes and even a grit consistency.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Where do you live?
We live in SE AZ. We've been here a year now and didn't notice this problem last year at this time. But we were still unpacking and stuff so we prob wouldn't have noticed if it was happening.

Quote:
A very common issue found when I inspect is ceiling texture and paint has been blown into the ducts.
We haven't had any texturing or painting done. When the swamp cooler was replaced they only did stuff on the roof.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM

21,236 posts, read 11,761,624 times
If it does turn out to be pollen (and in AZ it's a pretty good bet) check your smoke detectors and clean them out every few months. The desert dust and pollen will build up and set them off at three in the morning.

(The voice of experience speaking here lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House