Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:40 PM

450 posts, read 5,022,039 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good shop vac for cleaning up post-renovation drywall dust? I'm finding drywall dust everywhere from the minimal sanding that was done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
The vac itself doesn't matter nearly as much as the filtration in it. You need to get as fine a filter as possible. Personally, I use the paper filters when I'm vacuuming drywall dust. I go through several on an average job, but it does get the dust up.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The vac itself doesn't matter nearly as much as the filtration in it. You need to get as fine a filter as possible. Personally, I use the paper filters when I'm vacuuming drywall dust. I go through several on an average job, but it does get the dust up.
Is there a specific name for this kind of filter?

Also, what are your thoughts on the toxicity of drywall dust? Our contractors did not do a good job of containing the dust, though I'd say it was minimal sanding.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
As Jim said- any vac will do; it's the filter!
With d/wall dust it's caked-up in no time. I got tired of cleaning the filter all the time so I devised a simple plan to make the cleaning a little easier.
I use knee-high stockings that my other half doesn't want anymore. As long as there are no runs, they greatly reduce the amount of dust that actually gets to the filter.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Some shopvacs sell paper liners that go inside the canister.....along with a GOOD filter...usually not the one that comes with it, both help.
Make sure the discharge air does not show dust coming out of it, or else you will be doing nothing but recycling dust back into the room.
I've been known even to lay a thin wet rag over the discharge just to catch any dust that gets through. Better yet, if you have or borrow another hose, hook it to the discharge and send it outside through a window.

I HOPE you turned off your furnace, A/C unit and covered vents. If the A/C turned on, you may now have dust all through your duct system.

Frank

Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I HOPE you turned off your furnace, A/C unit and covered vents. If the A/C turned on, you may now have dust all through your duct system.

Frank
I tried to keep the A/C off as much as I could, but it's been almost 100 degrees here--my contractors would have been unable to work in the heat if I did that. As it was they complained when I kept it off as much as possible, so I had to run it. I tried to cover as many vents as I could. But I do believe I have dust all through my duct system, as I'm finding dust in rooms that were not worked on.

This was minimal drywall sanding, though.

Should I get an air duct cleaning?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
With d/wall dust it's caked-up in no time. I got tired of cleaning the filter all the time so I devised a simple plan to make the cleaning a little easier.
I use knee-high stockings that my other half doesn't want anymore. As long as there are no runs, they greatly reduce the amount of dust that actually gets to the filter.
I gotta try that one. Think the wife will notice if half her knee-highs go missing?

Bass - if you were running the A/C while they were sanding, it probably wouldn't hurt to have the ducts cleaned. At the very least I'd change the filter and check the A-coil for caking.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Bass - if you were running the A/C while they were sanding, it probably wouldn't hurt to have the ducts cleaned. At the very least I'd change the filter and check the A-coil for caking.
Will definitely change the filter, and was thinking strongly of having the ducts cleaned but have heard mixed things about this. I have no idea what an A-coil is.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 PM

An A-coil is what the air passes through to make it cold. May be called something else, it's been about 20 years since I worked on A/C for a living. If you have a really good filter, you probably don't need to worry about it.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

This is a good idea. I got sick of the filters plugging up every ten minutes and just bought a long hose, removed the filter and stuck the vacuum outside and let it discharge into the yard. I am always adding gypsum to the soil anyway to try to break up the clay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House