Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 435,197 times

Advertisements

There is brown water coming from the bathtub spout and the sink spout when the hot water is turned on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
I'm a licensed plumber out here in Colorado. See this all the time in older houses.

There are two possible reasons for this. Could be one or both.

1. Your water heater is full of rust or sediment.

2. Your house has galvanized water pipes and they are starting to deteriorate.

Since it seems to be only the hot water that is affected, I'm leaning toward rust/sediment in the water heater. If the heater is less than 10 years old you might try draining it and flushing it out, but if it is older than that, you'll need to replace it.

Sorry, I wish I had better news for you!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks for your reply. I think your right. We tried flushing out the pipes, but tons of rusty water kept coming out, bathtubs full of water. Is there something that we should add to the water heater to prevent this from happening after we flush it out?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:42 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
As far as I know, there's no additive for a water heater.

When you go to flush it, make sure you shut the water supply to the water heater off. I forgot once, it doesn't work well. And of course, shut off the breaker that the heater is on.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

When you go to flush it, make sure you shut the water supply to the water heater off. I forgot once, it doesn't work well. And of course, shut off the breaker that the heater is on.
If it is not the water heater, but the pipes would the cold water also be producing rust? The pipes in the house appear to be all copper.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit2 View Post
If it is not the water heater, but the pipes would the cold water also be producing rust? The pipes in the house appear to be all copper.
Yes, you are correct. If the problem was with the pipes, both the hot and cold would be affected. The hot side is typically more pronounced due to the heat accelerating the corrosive effect. If your pipes are copper they are not the problem. Rust coming from the pipes only happens with deteriorating galvanized pipes.

As far as an additive to add after flushing the water heater, unfortunately no. What you might consider doing is when it comes time to replace the water heater, ask your plumber to install a sacrificial anode rod in the new heater. This consists of a magnesium rod which is a more reactive metal than the steel the tank is made of and will, in effect, draw away corrosive minerals in the water. Some water heaters have this rod installed at the factory. Your local plumber will know what is best for your application. Finally, if you are on a well, sometimes rust and sediment can come from the well pipe itself. If this is the case at your house, you might consider installing an in line water filter with a rust/sediment cartridge to help keep it out of the water heater.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Yes, you are correct. If the problem was with the pipes, both the hot and cold would be affected. The hot side is typically more pronounced due to the heat accelerating the corrosive effect. If your pipes are copper they are not the problem. Rust coming from the pipes only happens with deteriorating galvanized pipes.

As far as an additive to add after flushing the water heater, unfortunately no. What you might consider doing is when it comes time to replace the water heater, ask your plumber to install a sacrificial anode rod in the new heater. This consists of a magnesium rod which is a more reactive metal than the steel the tank is made of and will, in effect, draw away corrosive minerals in the water. Some water heaters have this rod installed at the factory. Your local plumber will know what is best for your application. Finally, if you are on a well, sometimes rust and sediment can come from the well pipe itself. If this is the case at your house, you might consider installing an in line water filter with a rust/sediment cartridge to help keep it out of the water heater.

Hope this helps!
Thanks again for the reply, that's a great idea. I will do that if the heater has to be replaced.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Thanks, we will do that, the heater is gas powered though.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Cool! Leave it alone. It makes your house unique. Who else has brown water? It will be a selling point when you decide to move. Tell them it is chocolate flavored.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit2 View Post
I will do that if the heater has to be replaced.
I've got news for you: Your hot water heater DOES need to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House