Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:53 PM

114 posts, read 845,807 times

Advertisements

Already posted this on the interior design forum, but thought I this forum might be better suited. We're going to take these ceiling tiles down soon. They are covered with a drop ceiling as well. Look like there was a leak and the prior owners just covered the water damage. They look like they can come down pretty easy. But is there a special, less destructive way to pull them down? It looks as if you could just poke them and they'll come crumbling down.

Also, is there a way you can just tell by looking at them whether they contain anything harmful like asbestos?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,768,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop74 View Post
Already posted this on the interior design forum, but thought I this forum might be better suited. We're going to take these ceiling tiles down soon. They are covered with a drop ceiling as well. Look like there was a leak and the prior owners just covered the water damage. They look like they can come down pretty easy. But is there a special, less destructive way to pull them down? It looks as if you could just poke them and they'll come crumbling down.

Also, is there a way you can just tell by looking at them whether they contain anything harmful like asbestos?

TIA
How old are the tiles/house?

Before I start ripping away, I'd take a sample for testing.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 PM

3,035 posts, read 8,315,875 times
Quote:

TIA
The only definitive way to tell is if there are markings on them you can trace back to the manufacturer or testing by a laboratory. There are plenty of labs out there that offer inexpensive tests that are available to the consumer. If you google asbestos testing you will find them

Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How old are the tiles/house?

Before I start ripping away, I'd take a sample for testing.
House was built 1926, but renovations look like they were done anywhere from
the '60's to the '80's.

i will take a pic & post.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The only definitive way to tell is if there are markings on them you can trace back to the manufacturer or testing by a laboratory. There are plenty of labs out there that offer inexpensive tests that are available to the consumer. If you google asbestos testing you will find them
thanks! i'm going to try that.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,945,052 times
Quote:
from the '60's to the '80's.
It could very well have asbestos. By the mid-70's, it was getting out of favor, but there's still a chance.

Another vote for having it tested before you demo.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,483,523 times
I've used this lab in the past:

Western Analytical Laboratory - Asbestos Testing Lab

Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,754,456 times
Quote:

i will take a pic & post.
Don't waste your time. Spend it taking a sample and sending it in to get checked out

Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Yes, I am not going to disturb it. We're hiring a co. out here to come & check it out. We had them here before we closed to test a pipe in the attic.

Thanks All!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,182,234 times
One quick way to rule out asbestos is to look at the core of the tile. If it is brown/tan, it is not likely asbestos.

If the core is white or gray, then there is a chance it could be asbestos. It may also just be cellulose (the most common material of ceiling tiles).

Have it tested for sure, it should not be that much money. If I do any sampling during a home inspection, I just charge the lab fee and enough to cover shipping. If I go out just for asbestos, I will charge a trip fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House