Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:03 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

I needed w/d four years ago for a new house I was moving into. I, too, wanted top loaders with no bells and whistles. I picked Maytags and got Extreme Cleaning Overkill. Seriously, I wash everything on "Delicate" or my clothes get mangled. Even on the a setting called "Wrinkle Control," the clothes are agitated nearly to death. And the dryer! I have to dry my fitted sheets separately or I have to open the door and redistribute the clothes every five minutes. If I didn't, I'd take out one giant ball with every single item in the dryer wrapped up inside the fitted sheet. I've tried putting tennis balls in the dryer and that doesn't help -- the tennis balls also just get wrapped up in the tight sheet package. Everything from bath towels to little socks get mooshed inside the wrapping. And of course they're still wet when the sheet is dry. It's freaky. I had a service tech in -- he was no help.

I guess if you have a car mechanic or teenage football players in the family, Maytag is the machine of your dreams. If you're a woman who likes her clothes, run the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I've purchased 2 sets in my life and they were both Whirlpools. The reason I went with them instead of Kenmore is because I like the dryer door to open DOWN instead of opening to the SIDE. They are simple models without all the fancy bells and whistles, but the newer set does not seem as well built as my older set was. Time will tell. I prefer top loaders and will use them as long as they are available to me.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:41 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
In our NY home we have a top loading washer AND a top loading dryer. Yes, that's right, a TOP loading dryer.
Fisher Paykel.........we LOVE it.
Less moving parts, no transmission, direct drive washer motor....it is awesome.

Frank

Old 08-19-2010, 04:54 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I needed w/d four years ago for a new house I was moving into. I, too, wanted top loaders with no bells and whistles. I picked Maytags and got Extreme Cleaning Overkill. Seriously, I wash everything on "Delicate" or my clothes get mangled. Even on the a setting called "Wrinkle Control," the clothes are agitated nearly to death. And the dryer! I have to dry my fitted sheets separately or I have to open the door and redistribute the clothes every five minutes. If I didn't, I'd take out one giant ball with every single item in the dryer wrapped up inside the fitted sheet. I've tried putting tennis balls in the dryer and that doesn't help -- the tennis balls also just get wrapped up in the tight sheet package. Everything from bath towels to little socks get mooshed inside the wrapping. And of course they're still wet when the sheet is dry. It's freaky. I had a service tech in -- he was no help.

I guess if you have a car mechanic or teenage football players in the family, Maytag is the machine of your dreams. If you're a woman who likes her clothes, run the other way.
Which model Maytag did you buy? I don't have that with the Centennial model I bought. One complaint I do have is that with my old Maytag - the gentle cycle operated continuously at low speed for X minutes. With this newer model - it operates at low speed for Y minutes - then rests - then operates for another Y minutes at low speed - rests again - etc.

Also - I don't like that the only option I have for a rinse cycle is cold water. But I guess that's par for the course these days. Everyone - including your appliance manufacturers - dictating to you how you should live your life. Robyn

P.S. Try washing/drying sheets separate from towels and socks. Washing/drying like things together makes for the best results IMO.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:58 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
I guess a couple of other things I should mention about our choice.

First - our laundry room has a window. If we used a front loader - it would cover up half the window. Plus I would have to bend over a lot. Something I don't care to do as I age. Finally - our local laundry charges $10 to wash/dry a king comforter in commercial machines. And they come out fine. No reason to choke any residential machine I might own with our king comforters. Robyn

Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
The fisher paykels are very large capacity. King size stuff loads fine.
The nice thing about BOTH being top loading is that you NEVER bend over........moving stuff from washer to dryer is easy.

Frank

Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I need to buy a new washer and dryer. I've had good results with Kenmores in my rentals--would like to get a Kenmore for my new house. But I'm open to other brands.

Am only interested in the old-fashioned top loading washer and dryer. Any recs? Have been reading reviews for days and they're so mixed, it's unbelievable.

Thanks!
Old fashioned style but good quality can be had with the SpeedQueens.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:48 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I'm in the market for a new washer as my old 14 yr Kenmore one stopped during mid cycle and doesn't drain. I see a Maytag Bravo 4.3 Cu. ft high efficiency top loader(model MVWX655DW) one at Lowes on sale($499) for the next week or so. It has very many good reviews, but also some disturbing reviews too. Has anyone bought this one? If so, how do you like it? I haven't shopped for a washing machine in 14 yrs, so a newbie again. Thanks.

Last edited by JL; 05-21-2017 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 06:08 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'm in the market for a new washer as my old 14 yr Kenmore one stopped during mid cycle and doesn't drain. I see a Maytag Bravo 4.3 Cu. ft high efficiency top loader(model MVWX655DW) one at Lowes on sale($499) for the next week or so. It has very many good reviews, but also some disturbing reviews too. Has anyone bought this one? If so, how do you like it? I haven't shopped for a washing machine in 14 yrs, so a newbie again. Thanks.
May tag & whirlpool are under the same ownership now & that model is known for the bearings going out on the wash tub in about 2 years. The tool to replace the bearings is about $100 and bearings cost about $65. Most of $500 if you have it done. So buy the extendo-warranty, or get ready to learn how to replace bearings.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:11 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
May tag & whirlpool are under the same ownership now & that model is known for the bearings going out on the wash tub in about 2 years. The tool to replace the bearings is about $100 and bearings cost about $65. Most of $500 if you have it done. So buy the extendo-warranty, or get ready to learn how to replace bearings.

Whirlpool owns maytag and they make Kenmore washers and dryers and whirlpools cheaper brand Estates, so whirlpool makes most of the washers sold out there. So when you are getting a maytag you are getting a whirlpool. Whirlpool HQ is in Benton Harbor Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House