U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM

6,522 posts, read 19,842,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmt2211 View Post
freshjiv - do you have the contact information for the guy you used? I'm currently looking into replacing my carpeted stair case, and the pricing I've found so far has been ridiculous.

Thanks!

I don't think a guy in NC would be willing to go to TB, FL for a stair job!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,028 times
Here is a quick run down of how stairs are priced....keep in mind it will depend on location and also that this is an average for about 80% of the U.S. that have a standard staircase.

Labor - PRICING PER STEP
Box treads - (inside a wall with no exposed sides) - $150.00
Return treads - (one exposed sides, Left or right) - $200.00
Starter Tread - (one exposed side with a circle turnout) - $250.00
Double Return tread (both sides exposed) - $250.00
Double starter steps (both sides exposed with a circle turnout) - $300.00
Starter Riser (a curved risers, usually only one per staircase) - $50.00
Landings - $75.00
All these prices include putting the riser on, the scotia Molding, and any brackets needed.

Railing
An average pricing for railing will run around $300.00 for the first rail and $150.00 per rail connected to it.
Wall railing would average $150.00 a piece
These prices usually include installing balusters, rosettes, and Newels.

Installing a monkey tail, a valute, an upease or pin top newels will usually go up in price a little at about 10%-20% increase.

Staining and finishing material can run 200-400 (treads, railing, newels, scotia, etc.)
Painting can run $100-250 (risers, rake board, etc.)

Example:
14 steps, (11 box, and 3 with one return) and one landing would run.....
3 bottom steps - $600
11 box steps - $1650
1 landing - $75
1 Railing - $300 (includes balusters, newel and rosette)
Staining material - $350
Painting - $200
Material - red oak about $1300
TOTAL: $4,475.00

This would be to install all these treads and risers to CODE, done the right way with no gapping or squeeking. You should be able to tell the difference between a stair mechanic and regular joe shmo by asking him a few simple questions, like....
Do I need side brackets? ANS. if you have an exposed side, YES
Do you use shoe molding on every step? NEVER, only if they are trying to hide gapping due to improper install
What about Scotia Molding? YES under every tread, it dresses up the stair and is wrapped under all nosing and treads

This would take APR. 3-4 days to complease with two employees on the jobsite.

This pricing would be good for either removing the old pine or MDF stairs on a stringer system (custom) or ripping off each nosing and building the staircase on top of the old one (prefab)

Old 11-30-2011, 03:55 PM

8,784 posts, read 4,375,535 times
I see some pretty weird prices here. I had 2 sets of stairs done in my house in Brazilian cherry. The first set was 4 steps but they were a really weird shapecurced and the steps themselves were ove fott wide on one side tapering to a point on the other. The next set was 14 straight steps. The hardwood job was the two sets of stairs, the livingroom and the upatairs hallway. Around 1200 sq. ft. in total. My installer charged me $500 for the floor and $250 for the stairs. The most expensive part of the stair work was the bullnoses for the steps. It was around $20 a foot.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 PM

1,154 posts, read 861,014 times
My home went thru a massive remodel with a 2nd story added. The steps are 17 total with a 6.5" riser, 4 ft wide. The stuff they use for subflooring was used for the steps. To have the steps covered with solid oak cost $2,000 total: staining and varnishing included. The railing system cost another $2,000 and I did the stain and varnish. I live in New Mexico. It is a gorgeous high quality job. Perhaps it seriously depends ($) where you reside.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 AM

446 posts, read 639,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I have an original hardwood staircase in my house and currently have three black and blues on my lower back and bottom to prove it, my preschooler who I was holding at the time has bite marks on his tongue. They are very slippery!
Aaaahh... my first thought at the sight of this thread!
I'd be scared to break my neck sorry to barge in

Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM

248 posts, read 225,332 times
Please PM/DM me the contact of the guy in NC. Pretty please.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM

15,820 posts, read 29,792,474 times
Watch graigslist. Every now and then someone will post where they are tearing out a beautiful hardwood staircase to "update" their home and the allow you to come get them for free. You will have to find one close to a fit and/or do some adjusting to make it fit, but you will get something nicer than you can buy (unless you hire Busta to put in a staircase that costs hald the price of your home.)

Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 PM

5,208 posts, read 7,431,009 times
This is an old thread but since I am in the mist of this type of project I will tell you how its going so far and how much we have invested.

Our house was built in the 90's so I knew it was going to be plywood stairs. I have seen some people do stair redo's where they stained the plywood treads and painted the risers. It comes out amazing IF you have the good fortune of having plywood treads with bullnose and good risers. I did not. Not sure if I can post links. Just google...stair remodel, paint steps etc. You will find a lot of savvy decor blogs.

Since my steps lead into a finished basement, the workmanship that went into them was pretty subpar. I have an enclosed stair case. Walls on each side and two landings. We priced out treads online, craigslist (couldnt find any), salvage and big box stores. I found treads at Lowe's that are called retro treads. Its a cap basically that fits over your existing treads. Great in theory but if you have odd sized risers and treads, it wont work. It will throw off the whole set of stairs. So we had to bust up the old treads and replace with regular treads. Since our steps are pretty odd, we are adjusting each tread to each step so there are no trip hazards.

It is a lot of work. I sparked a long ago elbow injury. Lots of pulling up staples, staining, poly and painting. We underestimated the amount of time and work involved in this project. We are going on our 3rd week. We are 75% done at this point. I do not have any regrets though. I hate carpeted stairs. We also thought this would be a good starting point for when we want to do our regular staircase in the living room. A practice run so to speak.

-Treads at menards were 17.98 a piece. I needed 10. (I bought red oak jointed. Unjointed treads run about 27.00)
-unfinished red oak hardwood for the landings is 49.63 for a bundle. This covers 24 square feet.
-3 bullnose flooring trim for the landing. 19.97 each
-stain 25.00
-poly 45.00
-paint 65.00
-5 sheets of thin plywood for risers to cover plywood risers @ 5.86 each
-hard nails liquid glue. Cant remember cost several dollars each.
-nails
-painters chalk

I stained and put poly on the treads first and this took a long time to complete due to drying times etc.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:18 PM

4,128 posts, read 3,613,108 times
Interesting. Just before I moved into a new-to-me house a few months ago, I had the carpeted parts re-carpeted as much of the the old carpet was HIDEOUS (can you say red tartan plaid?!). The stairs are the same oak as the living room, dining room, and two of the bedrooms, but I definitely wanted them carpeted too -- I will be having relatively frequent visitors, am a light sleeper, and the master bedroom is right off the landing at the top of the stairway, so with hardwood I would likely wake up every time someone walked up the stairs. Carpet is MUCH quieter and I don't mind the look at all.

The previous owner told me that's why THEY had carpet on the stairs too -- their family had 5 kids so parents would not have gotten much sleep with people up and down!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:57 PM

5,208 posts, read 7,431,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Interesting. Just before I moved into a new-to-me house a few months ago, I had the carpeted parts re-carpeted as much of the the old carpet was HIDEOUS (can you say red tartan plaid?!). The stairs are the same oak as the living room, dining room, and two of the bedrooms, but I definitely wanted them carpeted too -- I will be having relatively frequent visitors, am a light sleeper, and the master bedroom is right off the landing at the top of the stairway, so with hardwood I would likely wake up every time someone walked up the stairs. Carpet is MUCH quieter and I don't mind the look at all.

The previous owner told me that's why THEY had carpet on the stairs too -- their family had 5 kids so parents would not have gotten much sleep with people up and down!
Wood stairs are definitely more noisy. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Pets and carpet are not always a good combo. Then add a difficult dog to the mix. ugh. She peed on the landing and eventually the smell stayed permanent. I tried every stink product on the market, along with steam cleaning. The carpet had to go. Pets can ruin hardwood floors also but in my experience, several coats of poly will keep most stains pooled on the surface that can be cleaned up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House