U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:59 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Buy one of those tents that they use for termite fumigation and put it over his house?

Put a giant fan blowing out of your window.

O I just look you ar ein an apartment.

Move.
Here's another possibility!

http://www.kinetics.co.nz/newssite/PublishingImages/bubble_boy.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:23 PM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
Pipes don't always come thru the floor. Many times they come thru the wall, both waste and supply pipes.
Smoke is not likely to travel from the unit next door, down under the house (if its a crawlspace) and then back up into the apartment next door. It's likely coming thru the walls at openings for plumbing and/or electrical, phone, cable boxes that are in the walls.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,965,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Pipes don't always come thru the floor. Many times they come thru the wall, both waste and supply pipes.
Smoke is not likely to travel from the unit next door, down under the house (if its a crawlspace) and then back up into the apartment next door. It's likely coming thru the walls at openings for plumbing and/or electrical, phone, cable boxes that are in the walls.

I just had a thought. Maybe I should caulk around the plumbing going from the wall to toilet too? Would one of those outlet covers like you use when you have babies be good to block any smoke that might be coming from the outlet? Though it is under the sink that reeks of smoke. My nice clean bath and gym towels now smell so disgusting I can't stand to use them.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I just had a thought. Maybe I should caulk around the plumbing going from the wall to toilet too? Would one of those outlet covers like you use when you have babies be good to block any smoke that might be coming from the outlet? Though it is under the sink that reeks of smoke. My nice clean bath and gym towels now smell so disgusting I can't stand to use them.
It will only block the smoke if it's large enough to cover the outside edge of the outlet because smoke isn't coming from the actual holes where you put the plug.

Take off the outlet cover and put insulation inside. Google "how to insulate electrical outlets" for directions.

Here's a safety outlet cover that might help:

Outlet Plug Cover : RecommKids.com (http://www.recommkids.com/store/outlet-plug-cover.html - broken link)

I'd put that on in addition to insulating the outlet.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 PM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
Is there any way you can easily move the sink cabinet away from the wall (you will have to disconnect plumbing and counter top to do this)?
It sounds like you may have an opening that you can't see. If the cabinet has a back on it (where you can't see the wall itself), you may have a big hole there that needs to be closed up.
Can you post a photo of the inside of the sink cabinet? And maybe the wall too?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Is there any way you can easily move the sink cabinet away from the wall (you will have to disconnect plumbing and counter top to do this)?
It sounds like you may have an opening that you can't see. If the cabinet has a back on it (where you can't see the wall itself), you may have a big hole there that needs to be closed up.
Can you post a photo of the inside of the sink cabinet? And maybe the wall too?
If the cabinet has a back on it, it's possible there is no drywall whatsoever behind the cabinet. We ran into that once for a house we bought. There was a cold draft. We pulled the kitchen cabinets away and discovered that the drywall only extended down to the countertops.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,383,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I would knock on their door and say something to the extent "listen, i've got asthma and all the pot smoking from your room is really aggravating it. Take all the smoking outside and I won't call the cops."

I never heard the OP mention "pot" smoking, I rather thought it was a post that spoke of cigarette smoking. Is it just because I'm stoned or are your reading skills superior to mine?

You could also ask your landlord to start looking for a new tenant for your "soon-to-be-vacant" apartment, sometimes you just need to get the landlords economic attention!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
I never heard the OP mention "pot" smoking, I rather thought it was a post that spoke of cigarette smoking. Is it just because I'm stoned or are your reading skills superior to mine?
You must be stoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Well I have asthma and this is a big issue for me. The landlord already knew I had asthma. They might not like the foam insulation though it can be cut into; however I think they would dislike even more if they knew part of the smoke from the neighbor's is pot smoke.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 AM

29,990 posts, read 20,952,792 times
Find a landlord whom rents only to non-smokers as a pollicy and condition of rental and move. If you have documented complaints to the landlord of the smoke seepage and your health condition (asthma) you should be able to terminate your lease without penalty (consult an attorney).

Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,443 times
Default A pretty good solution to the smoke problem

I'm not one to confront people, complain to management, or take legal action. I like to find solutions that I can implement without drama and I think I've found it. What I have done, is take advantage of the way air flows. You will read a lot that the only way to stop the smoke from coming through the wall is to plug up every last crack, hole, and gap because the air will find and flow to even one remaining opening.
-
After reading that, I decided to exploit that property instead of fighting it and I put a small, electric air filter under my kitchen sink. The air filter pulls air from the large gaps where the plumbing comes in through the wall. Because of the way air flows, it no longer wanders around to random holes and gaps, it flows to where it's being pulled...right into the air filter.
-
My neighbor only occasionally smokes inside his condo and the wall we share is the kitchen wall. The smell of cigarette smoke in my kitchen used to be unbearable, but I haven't smelled it at all since I started using the air filter, which was about six months ago.
-
I consider myself lucky that I don't have a smoker on the other side of my bedroom wall, but I kind of wish I did now so that I could test this solution out in that scenario as well.
-
I really want to hear from everyone who tries this. I don't know if it works under every circumstance and if it doesn't work somewhere, I'd like to put some thought into how to get it to work (or hear from you how you got it to work).
-
I look forward to hearing from you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House