U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-20-2007, 03:52 PM

3,517 posts, read 7,944,195 times
I don't get the stainless for appliances trend either. It is hard to keep clean, very prone to scratches, stains easily and gets the old stainless sink problem fairly quickly. When I had to replace my stove, I got a very nice Jenn-Aire dual fuel in white. And I can easily clean up baked on spills with a little Bartender's Friend.

I think colored appliances are coming back. I've seen red and navy blue. You can always find white and the dealer said that even in the grips of the stainless trend, they still sell half of the appliances in white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-13-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,392 times
We have just bought an apartment, and although we prefer white appliances, the problem is that the kitchen has a built in stainless steel, exhaust hood. So we dont have a choice but to go with stainless steel cooker and fridge to match it with the rest of the kitchen. Can anyone suggest how a stainless steel cooker will go with a white fridge?

Thanks, Sarah.

Unread 03-13-2009, 09:06 PM

13,340 posts, read 19,994,747 times
Sarah - even though you have a stainless steel hood, you could still go with white appliances. I have seen it done and it looks fine. By the way, when you say "cooker", I assume you mean a range. Is that correct? Jay

Unread 03-13-2009, 11:25 PM

895 posts, read 1,720,263 times
Unless it is a high end hood and vent- that range hood is the cheapest fixture in the kitchen. So don't let the least expensive dictate what you do for the big $ items (refrigerators and stoves in particular.)

A couple of people have mentioned JennAire and I have to say they do make the most attractive white appliances. I particularly like the chrome/polished pulls they use on some of the stoves/fridges. I think that adds a nice touch.

I also think that bronze JennAire finish looks great with all woods except cherry.

I think white looks good when it is against white cabinets and woods like maple look best with black. One of the things I do not like about stainless is that it really just seems to absorb light/seems dark. I think the stainless with dark cherry cabinets and black countertops look really requires a room with a lot of windows to avoid looking like a cave.

For the life of me- I still cannot figure out why none of the manufacters are offering more appliances in colors. KitchenAid had that cobalt blue arounf 2000 but I haven't seen anyone make a push since then. I think a lot of people who do stainless would be just as happy with a non-white/non-black fridge.

Unread 05-08-2009, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 38,986 times
I see that this is an older thread, revived recently. I love white appliances. I hate my counters (light wood-look laminate) and like my cabinets, but might consider brightening them up (medium-dark oak). Changing the countertops to something else might change my opinion about the cabinets though. Here is my question: for those of you who have white appliances and love them, what color cabinets, countertops, backsplashes, and even flooring do you have with them (or would you love to have with them)? Does anyone have pictures?

Unread 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM

333 posts, read 677,102 times
I personally don't like pure white or stainless steel appliances. I prefer off-white, like bisque, or even green, with chrome handles, aluminum covered control boards and real knobs. I don't like the plastic skin covered buttons or the plastic control boards. They wear out and some cleaners make the plastic smear.

Unread 11-19-2009, 12:34 AM

6 posts, read 12,268 times
Someone stated that panels can be bought for appliances. I remember when appliances (at least dishwashers, maybe not all) came with panels behind the one that showed. You could actually change them!!!. Then, I guess manufacturers figured out they could make more money if they didn't allow the customer that option. Anyway, does anyone know where to buy the panels?

Unread 11-19-2009, 12:44 AM

23,680 posts, read 13,469,313 times
I like black appliances. They look nice with my beige counters and tile.
I especially like my refrigerator. It's textured, side by side, counter depth and does not have a thru-the-door water dispenser so there is more room in the freezer. Of course the don't make them like this anymore

Unread 11-22-2009, 12:16 PM

179 posts, read 388,783 times
I just visted a friend who has a 12 year old house with Kitchen Aid appliances all in white and they have yellowed over the years except the refriderator. I would go stainless and just keep them wiped down.

Unread 11-22-2009, 01:28 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,732,861 times
The white appliances with the floating glass are being used in upper end homes. White cabinets are making a big comeback in that market except apparently in Texas and most of the SW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House