Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,520 times

Advertisements

Hi: I have a problem....14 years ago I was the first to move on my cul de sac. My husband, an irrigation contractor put in french drains because of the slope of our property. The lot beside us will not perk so it's common area.

14 years later the new HOA Board has decided that I should take out a drain that goes 15 feet (underground) into the common which is also nothing but woods. No foot path there, nothing....they always forget to mow every spring when they change landscapers.

HOA told me to remove it and make sure it "does not adversly affect the common area", i.e., woods. We removed the drain on their side and cut the pipe at our fence, put rip rap rock and covered it up. No problem.

Now that we've had several torrential rains there is a gully on their side because there is no longer a drain there. Water floods the street, comes through my neighbors back yard into mine, flooding my pool with silt, contaminated water, etc. then out the other side.

Who's responsible for fixing their drainage problem? I can't control flood water from rushing through my back yard, it's literally a river when this happens and costs me $200 ea. time for chemicals to make the water right in my pool.

Last edited by ParalegalNC; 08-31-2010 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Is this a trick question...? You're a paralegal and you're asking us a legal question...? You're in law school, go to the law library...!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:26 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
You can't end your drain at the property line in a way that causes flooding or erosion problems for your neighbor. If you didn't originally have permission to install a drain on property that you don't own, then the property owner has every right to ask you to remove it. It does not matter that it's a common area or an undeveloped lot.

If water is entering your yard from the street or a common area, then take that up with the HOA or town that you live in.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
However, if the drain did not cause a problem for anyone before (and, for that matter, even if it did), and removing it DOES cause the flooding for the street, neighbor, and OP, then the HOA, when demanding that it be removed, should have had in place and immediately implemented a plan to deal with the obvious consequences at the time that they made the demand.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM

110 posts, read 347,979 times
First, you needn't have removed the drain. But that is a moot point.
Based on what you've described, the drainage problem is occuring on land that is not yours.
If it is HOA owned or controlled land than, its their problem.
Texas HorseLady is right- that would have been the proper way for the HOA to handle it.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Everybody. The HOA charges fees that go into a reserve account. The HOA has to pay for the issue. But at the end of the day everybody. But if they re-wrote the rules then there is probably an Act of God clause in it now so any personal damage will not be covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House